Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fantasy Campaign

Go down 
+12
Dannato
Bane
bdix
Wildeyedjester
Verminlord
Monkey
Darkhorse
Cpt_Tiberius
MonkeyMan
guyverlord3
Fethos
capnwoodrow
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime29th May 2011, 6:15 pm

Just because the mega battle thread is going on ad infinitum, I figured i'd move this here.

A lot of us are getting into fantasy and have small armies (myself, bdix, cap. t) - this thread is for interest/ideas in a campaign/escalation campaign.

Let loose the hogs of war!
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime29th May 2011, 6:42 pm

Interest...yeah, I am interested. My vote for a campaign would be the escalation from the rule book. I say that because it make it easier for the newer players to keep up with the campaign, and for them not to be caught off guard by some random rule change or event. We would want something straight forward so that the base rules can be practiced and memorized. I also think escalation would be best because it would help, even the veteran players, focus more on list building...make people try new combos you wouldn't dare try at a tournament.
Back to top Go down
guyverlord3
Vanilla Marine with Blue Armor
Vanilla Marine with Blue Armor
guyverlord3

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime29th May 2011, 6:43 pm

I am up for a it. Once the plot is layed out I can choose my army.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stevenlykins.com
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime29th May 2011, 7:16 pm

Out of the book escalation sounds good to me.

/cough - no special characters - /cough

My only concern would be waiting 2 weeks so I could get the IDM behind me and then start on the fantasarama.

Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime29th May 2011, 7:16 pm

I am in and i will need to learn a bit more about it before i choose which army to use
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime29th May 2011, 7:50 pm

capnwoodrow wrote:
Out of the book escalation sounds good to me.

/cough - no special characters - /cough

My only concern would be waiting 2 weeks so I could get the IDM behind me and then start on the fantasarama.

Yeah, no special characters. But I think that time frame is good. I think many people that would play are in the same boat with the upcoming 40k tournament.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime29th May 2011, 8:53 pm

Fethos, do you have a reference page? I looked up campaign in the BRB and it basically says "lol running a campaign is hard."
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime29th May 2011, 9:12 pm

Oops, the rules for the escalation and campaign are not in this edition, but rather last edition. That is ok I have that edition too. I will try and post some of the general ideas, about campaigns, from the old rule book tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Cpt_Tiberius
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Cpt_Tiberius

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 12:15 pm

Count me in. I do have a question though.

I assume by escalation you mean that the armies start out at small point sizes and get bigger each game. If that is the case at what point level do we start and what would we end on?
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 12:22 pm

Cpt_Tiberius wrote:
Count me in. I do have a question though.

I assume by escalation you mean that the armies start out at small point sizes and get bigger each game. If that is the case at what point level do we start and what would we end on?

I was wondering this also, are we starting small and getting bigger with each game?and what level of points will we start at?
Back to top Go down
Darkhorse
Red Space Marine Plasma Donor
Darkhorse

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 12:56 pm

Count me in.
Back to top Go down
Darkhorse
Darkhorse

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 12:57 pm

Count me in.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 2:50 pm

Probably start at 500 or 750 up 2.5k or 2.9k as that's our tourney size.
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 3:43 pm

Fethos wrote:
Oops, the rules for the escalation and campaign are not in this edition, but rather last edition. That is ok I have that edition too. I will try and post some of the general ideas, about campaigns, from the old rule book tomorrow.

Man do I feel stupid, there are no rules for a campaign in the older rule books. I think the best way to do an escalation campaign is just as Capn suggested by starting at around 500 pts and working our way up. We could make a spreadsheet showing which weeks we make the jump to higher point games and keep track of who plays who. I was thinking today as I washed my car that we could also make it competitive by keeping track of everyone's victory points each game, and having someone win the campaign by having the highest total victory points. Just for bragging rights.
Back to top Go down
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Monkey

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 5:00 pm

Are there rules in Mighty Empires?
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 6:05 pm

Yeah, might empires was map-based - so that was the "You control a city, you get 1d100x2 more points next battle"

If we just did a simple timed campaign it would just be: Week 1, 750; Week 3, 1500, week 5 2250, etc.

Then we'd just track games, VPs, and then special (you get 100 VP if you start the week with a fully painted army) and announce an overall winner.
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 6:08 pm

Monkey wrote:
Are there rules in Mighty Empires?

Yeah, there are rules for one or two different campaigns in the Mighty Empires box. I'm just too cheap to spend $50 for it.
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 6:11 pm

capnwoodrow wrote:
Yeah, might empires was map-based - so that was the "You control a city, you get 1d100x2 more points next battle"

If we just did a simple timed campaign it would just be: Week 1, 750; Week 3, 1500, week 5 2250, etc.

Then we'd just track games, VPs, and then special (you get 100 VP if you start the week with a fully painted army) and announce an overall winner.

I like the idea of that, specially the painted army part. Also, we could take your best VP score for the week if you play more than one game...help encourage people to play more.
Back to top Go down
Cpt_Tiberius
Cpt_Tiberius

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 6:28 pm

I like the idea of the painting bonuses. Though to make it not as daunting to time strapped people we could do it as weekly painting goals, for example you might bid that you will complete a unit for your army. if you complete it you get the bonus points. Or another option is to give bonus points for each fully painted unit for that week. for example if you completed 3 units that week you get 3 bonus points for that week.

Just some thoughts I had. As far as the ending points limit, I vote for what ever is the standard point limit we use for our local fantasy tournaments. That way we might have more people show up for the local tournament as they will have an army to play with.
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 6:32 pm

I say start with 750 and end with 3000 Smile
The under empire rises!
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 6:33 pm

Yeah my goal would be for every player in the campaign to have an army ready for the next WFB tourney.

If we do a timed campaign with painting this time and have success, I'd loved to do a mapped campaign next.
Back to top Go down
Cpt_Tiberius
Cpt_Tiberius

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 7:30 pm

I would prefer a map/story based campaign so I would be down with that for the next one.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 7:51 pm

Map campaigns are harder as they require a coordinator. If we have success we can arrange a second.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 7:57 pm

Cpt_Tiberius wrote:
I would prefer a map/story based campaign so I would be down with that for the next one.

There is one in the General's Compendium. I will look for mine and look it over again. It came with a map and the players fought over territories. Some of them had special features that gave your army a bonus. For example, one territory has a Wizards Tower. Controlling this territory gives you free Lvl 2 mage to add to your army in addition to your points limit. Another one I remember is a wood, controlling a territory with a wood allows you to build one extra war machine.

There is also the Mighty Empire tiles to use. I have a set primered, ready to be painted.

Or, just adding 250pts every other week seemed to work the last time we did something like this. Way back when the shop was still on 40th street, about 3 years ago I think.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime30th May 2011, 9:12 pm

I think I would like to see:

Time Period 1:

TP 2:

TP 3:

TP 4:

just a thought.

Victory/Achievements:
-Most VP overall: Best General
-Most VP per phase: Skulltaker
-Best Paint: Artisan
-Sneaky Skulka: Lowest VP earner/Highest Sport

Each campaign phase we award 100 VP to anyone who has their chunk of 750 painted. So if you have 1500 points painted (3 colors, based) by the start of TP3 then you get 100 VP.

I'd also (fluffwise) to continue the whole theme from the MegaBattle of Order v/ Chaos. Almost like when can say when Archaeon was defeated he decided to pray to the dark gods for evil to swarm over the Empire...this could lead to a very fluffy 2nd MegaBattle. Perhaps whichever side gets the most VPs could get a slight advantage in the next MegaBattle....

If your army is unaligned, you would pick a side to pledge your VPs too.

Last edited by capnwoodrow on 30th May 2011, 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fantasy Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Campaign   Fantasy Campaign Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Campaign
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next