Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

On Playing Fantasy and High Elves

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
themcfadden
Blind Ratling Sniper
themcfadden

On Playing Fantasy and High Elves Empty
PostSubject: On Playing Fantasy and High Elves   On Playing Fantasy and High Elves Icon_minitime10th January 2010, 12:38 am

It wasn't terribly long ago that I "stumbled" into the world of tabletop wargaming. It started when I became friends with Capnwoodrow and watched a match for the first time. I quickly bought a plastic tote full of green space marines and tanks for $150 from a friend at work and plunged, headlong, into the world of Games Workshop. I played 40k as much as I could get in (wife and schedule permitting) and have, to this day, never won a match. As a rough estimate, I'd guess my record is 0 - 25 - 1. I tied once when I allied with Capn. Smile

I've never really loved playing 40k. It could be a combination of poor strategy with a vanilla army list and a lack of pure mastery over the rules. Overall, it just has never been my favorite game. I'd much rather break out Settlers of Catan or Puerto Rico than my tote full of marines.

In August, I noticed Hobbytown was liquidating WHFB battalions for $75. With some prodding from my aforementioned tempter, I ended up buying a High Elf battalion and struck out pouring over the Fantasy rule book. Eventually, I took the board against Capn and his lizardmen, and came across two startling truths:

1. Fantasy is NOT 40k

2. I actually loved playing

I'm rambling. I'm really enjoying playing Fantasy. I've played about 8 or 10 matches so far (all against, you guessed it, Capnwoodrow), and haven't won yet - but I really feel like I'm getting better every time instead of remaining mediocre.

I'm playing a High Elf list that I keep tweaking a bit here and there as I am proxy-ing in several models to get higher in points until I can buy them. We've been playing at 1750 points now and I'm having a ball. I've been fielding 15 swordmasters who have performed well, as well as a couple of mages who've really shut down the skink priest's magic phases.

So, for those who are playing 'Elves, what are your favorite units? What are you using out there? What has worked well and what has stunk?
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetup.com/NWAGamers/
warhammerworld
Apothecary with a box of band aids
Apothecary with a box of band aids

PostSubject: Re: On Playing Fantasy and High Elves   On Playing Fantasy and High Elves Icon_minitime10th January 2010, 1:41 am

Fav High Elf Unit

Lion Chariot!
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

PostSubject: Re: On Playing Fantasy and High Elves   On Playing Fantasy and High Elves Icon_minitime13th August 2010, 10:11 pm

i havent played any real matches, but i played with the new starter set at a games-workshop so along with reading the rules im almost ready, anyway the best units i used in that were the prince on griphon, the seaguard, and especially THE SWORDMASTERS OF HOETH(THEY R SUPER STRONG, but the white lions r actually stronger, and the phoenix guard have a five plus armor save, and a four plus ward a save so they r almost impossible to kill), plus if u get a bunch of phoenix guard and put them with teclis the loremaster then they can protect him and hes like the best Mage in the game(in my opinion and most of the high elf players opinions and put him with the phoenix guard)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On Playing Fantasy and High Elves   On Playing Fantasy and High Elves Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

On Playing Fantasy and High Elves
Page 1 of 1