Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dark Angels Drop List

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sweet E
Mordheim Master Bat(tl)er
Sweet E

Dark Angels Drop List Empty
PostSubject: Dark Angels Drop List   Dark Angels Drop List Icon_minitime19th January 2013, 5:50 pm

Well, the DA codex has been out for a week now and I've got a list I'm ready to try out. Let me start by saying that this probably isn't the most competitive list, but it would alpha strike hard and handle fliers ok. I've been wanting to run a drop list for awhile, so here goes:

DA-Drop List
HQ
Libby w/boltgun, Auspex 70
Libby w/combiplas, Auspex 80
Command Squad 180
Drop Pod, Sacred Banner (Dev)

Troop
Tac Squad x10 175
Drop Pod
Tac Squad x10 210
Drop Pod, Melta, ML w Flak
Tac Squad x10 210
Drop Pod, Melta, ML w Flak

FA
Ravenwing Black Knights 126
Grenade Launcher

Elite
Vet Squad x9 231
Drop Pod, 5xCombiPlas
DW Term Squad 225
CF, Assualt Cannon

Heavy
Mortis Pattern Contemptor Dred 165
x2 TL Autocannons
Mortis Pattern Contemptor Dred 165
x2 TL Autocannons

Total 1837

No allies, kind of disappointing right? I have built some more with allies, but they didn't make much sense for the drop list. I added the Mortis Pattern Contemptor Dred's for flyer defense. Everything else is built around alpha striking the correct tools for the job at hand. The Libby's will twin-link whatever drops and the Command Squad makes all the bolt guns 2/4. Combine that with being TL and that would be pretty nasty. Alternately, you could drop in a unit full of Combi-plas and TL it. Finally, there's a unit of Termie's and Bikes to support where needed.

Thoughts and feelings?
Back to top Go down
Sweet E
Sweet E

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angels Drop List   Dark Angels Drop List Icon_minitime26th January 2013, 2:48 am

Alright, here's another version of the list after noone posted on that one. Everyone must have loved it or hated it one. So here goes:

Libby w/ auspex 70
Libby w/ auspex 70
Command Squad 180
drop pod, dev banner
Tac Squad 185
Melta, Drop Pod
Tac Squad 185
Melta, Drop Pod
Tac Squad 185
Melta, Drop Pod
Vet Squad 248
X9, Drop Pod, x5 Combiplas
Assault Squad 105
x5, x2 Flamer, x1 Combiflamer
Mortis Dred 215
x2 Kheres Assault Cannon, Drop Pod
Mortis Dred 215
x2 Kheres Assault Cannon, Drop Pod
Mortis Dred 190
x2 Multimelta, Drop Pod

This is a 9 Drop Pod list. It has quite a few tools to try and take care of business on T1. For those who don't know what the Kheres Assault Cannon is, it's a Heavy 6 S6 AP 4 weapon and that dread gets 2 of them at BS 5. That's crazy right.....

It has a Melta Dred to get rid of heavy armour, and all three dreds can shoot at fliers if they don't move.

I think it is weak in assualt, but generally you don't want it to come to that. Get the drop on people and shoot them to death. DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angels Drop List   Dark Angels Drop List Icon_minitime26th January 2013, 2:02 pm

The biggest issue would probably be a similar list as it would beome a matter of who dropped first. I'm not sure about the Kheres for anti-flyer, though that's a vey high volume of shots. I'd have to see it played. Nids might be a problem, just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Sweet E
Sweet E

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angels Drop List   Dark Angels Drop List Icon_minitime26th January 2013, 2:55 pm

I see any other type of heavy drop list being problematic. Daemons would be bad. Other than that, I agree that tyranids or another assault heavy army could be trouble.

From a list standpoint, I'm not certain I can put those dreds in drop pods. Seems like I could, but I'm not actually certain.

I'd like an assault element, but none of the DA stuff really blows my skirt up. I think the DA codex is a strong shooting codex, but terminators are the only assault strength that I see. Any thoughts on allies that could strengthen the assault.
Back to top Go down
DreadArchon
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
DreadArchon

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angels Drop List   Dark Angels Drop List Icon_minitime26th January 2013, 6:58 pm

I really dont like the Banner of Devestation in this list. Your units are going to be more spread out and its all of 6 inch range will cover the command squad and its pod. Id use the points for veteran sergeants in th tac units. You will test for leadership more with a reserve list and the jump from Ld 8 to Ld9 is massive. Also with the drop list I have found the need to make the squads general purpose because of the chaotic and usually somewhat disorganized deployment and arrival of reinforcments. Maybe a powerfist or some kind of combat weapons would help.

I am not a fan of your fast attack choices in either list. The locator beacon on the Dark Knights is cute but with half of the list arriving on the first turn you may not have an ideal position to arrive. Go first you land where your bikes start (which can be limited), go second and they maybe dead or hidden ( and thus out of position). They have no threat in CC. The assault squad is just easy kills with its size and wont provide any additional CC punch.

I like the autocannons on the dreads. The assault cannon is effective at troop supression and threatening light armor but the rest of you list does that quite will as is, so why not have the heavier weapon. If you want the assault cannon I would pair it with a powerfist for that threat to Land Raiders and such.

Some assault elements to consider would be a full assault squad with power axe (for termies) and 2 Plasma pistols for more power on the shots. Deathwing would work, particularly knights. You may consider a larger Dark Knight squad for this. All options require some smart play on when to shoot a target or assault it.
Back to top Go down
Sweet E
Sweet E

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angels Drop List   Dark Angels Drop List Icon_minitime27th January 2013, 4:03 pm

Dred, I guess I was thinking of using the banner as more of a "buffer". Using the tac marines as high output shooting bubble wrap. When one got in combat, just move the command squad over to the next unit of tac marines. That said, it may work much more effectively in my head than in practice. I agree with you on the upgrades to vet sargents. I think that is probably good insurance for the Ld rolls.

I'm not a huge fan of general purpose units, but I also don't have much experience in trying to run a drop list. I like to think of each unit as having a purpose, but I may need to dig in deeper on the drop list.

As for the assualt element, I'm torn. I think this will become a game of shooting, but assualt will always have its place. I think the inclusion of some dark knights or deathwing could really tie in something that is missing right now. I'm going search for the points to make it happen. I'm less certain on the power fists etc. I may need them, but they just really don't do it for me. In the new system, it's so easy for them to get left out of the assualt if they are at the back or get shot if they are at the front. I may just need to get used to that though, ie become a better player in 6th.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll contemplate them and put a revision up.
Back to top Go down
DreadArchon
DreadArchon

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angels Drop List   Dark Angels Drop List Icon_minitime29th January 2013, 6:26 pm

I see what you are saying. I think that people still are feeling out the options in 6th ed.

I may be biased on the devestation banner, I just dont like it as much as some. The "models withing 5 inches" is what gets me.
Back to top Go down
Sweet E
Sweet E

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angels Drop List   Dark Angels Drop List Icon_minitime30th January 2013, 5:41 pm

What do you mean by models within 5"? I have the iPad version and it says DA units within 6". While not easy, you can resenably get one guy in the unit within 6". Again, this may mess up your assualt planning. Libby could also make the unit reroll misses.

I am starting to think its pretty high though. I really just need to play test it.
Back to top Go down
DreadArchon
DreadArchon

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angels Drop List   Dark Angels Drop List Icon_minitime1st February 2013, 7:04 pm

Because I am an idiot who cant read.

All units within 6 is better especially given the new disembark rules.

I really need to see how it plays out on the table
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Angels Drop List   Dark Angels Drop List Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dark Angels Drop List
Page 1 of 1