Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Paint in the tournament setting?!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

Paint in the tournament setting?! Empty
PostSubject: Paint in the tournament setting?!   Paint in the tournament setting?! Icon_minitime26th August 2009, 11:05 am

Started this just to get a more local view on this. (and some people don't read comments)
Jeremy opened up this can of worms. I guess he was feeling spunky. Razz

Quote :

Holy Crap Wildeyedjester! You just had to go open up this kid’s sore spot!!! Didn't you? Razz

Where to start... On an RTT level (local event) I think paint should be scored like the patriot games. You have a fully painted army you get 10 points. This will encourage local cats to attend the event with painted armies without putting too many points in that one guy who out paints everyone. This will make a more enjoyable experience for all who attend as "gamers" and "hobbyist" both agrees playing a painted army is more enjoyable.

HOWEVER!!!! (bum bum bahhhh) I think at a large premier event (like the big waaagh) should be split up in thirds. "Heresy, The person that wins more deserves to win!!!" My question to you is... Does he? At the end of the day you have 9 awards. 1-3 General = Awarding the best of the game even if hes a douche bag with a painted army. 1-3 Best Painted = Awarding the people that have literally countless hours tied up into their little toys making them look amazing and having "gamers" and "hobbyists’" alike walking by going "uhhh ahhhh." 1-3 Best Sportsmanship = Awarding the people that showed up to the event that are truly going to make people come back and leave having had a great time. Then there are the ELITE trophies to be given out BEST OVERALL. Does this mean to you the person that won 5 games and did ok in paint and ok in sports... or should it be the person that won 3 games, lost 1 and got 1 draw and everyone of his opponents thought he was just a swell fellow and would easily want to play this person again because of his knowledge of the rules and sporting attitude who spent countless hours into the hobby painting an amazing army with (maybe not the best there) details making his army unique and stand out in the crowd? This is a simple question for some. I however think best overall should go to just that. The main problem stems from the "gamer" more times than not. "Why should I not be eligible for best overall just because I can't paint uber good?" It is the competitive nature of the "gamer" that sees best overall as the most prestigious award, as it is. I think people like this should learn to shoot for best general and be happy with that as a goal. I personally shoot for best painting awards and my general attitude often awards me good sports awards. I am happy with this if I win a couple of games so be it. If you are gunning for best overall trophies then you should know that you have to step up not only your paint but your attitude as well.

Wildeyed I hope you see my point of view or can at least understand it. If paint is ever taken out of its place in big events I for one will not attend and will be a closet golden deamon kid whom loses all interest in the game. This is a Hobby and a Game. If people only play to win that is fine. (I think there are more games better suited for these people than WH or 40k.) But as long as tournament organizers post how they will be scoring/judging before hand; people really don't have a leg to stand on as far as complaints. Do not let one poorly judged aspect of one tournament influence you on my beloved aspect of the hobby.

Compete with what your good at and know your limitations.
(Or even worse show up to have fun!!!)

Littleboyblues
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Paint in the tournament setting?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint in the tournament setting?!   Paint in the tournament setting?! Icon_minitime26th August 2009, 6:09 pm

I can see both sides of the paint debate.

On the one hand - best overall should go to someone who dips into all aspects of the hobby. On the other hand, i'm a lazy bastard.

My personal preference is the Tournament with battle, sports, and comp (if the TO insists on comp) and a separate painting competition. If painting IS part of the tournament - I prefer a simple, easy to follow, rubric.
Back to top Go down

Paint in the tournament setting?!
Page 1 of 1