Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Post WAR Games Con - Grey Knights

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sweet E
Mordheim Master Bat(tl)er
Sweet E

Post WAR Games Con - Grey Knights Empty
PostSubject: Post WAR Games Con - Grey Knights   Post WAR Games Con - Grey Knights Icon_minitime13th July 2011, 12:29 am

So after playing a great deal of 40k over the weekend, and watching a little bit where I could here and there, I was inspired to come back and take a little different approach to my Grey Knights. While I love the librarian, he just didn't do THAT much. Sure he buffed my DCA a lot, but they eat stuff with or without buffs. Also, psychic defense was not near as big as I expected. When playing Jester's Eldar, one gets very frustrated without psychic defense, but could I put those points to better use elsewhere?

From what I saw, shooting is still king. Players that performed consistently well had a large, consistent firebase. Now don't get me wrong, you still have to have some punchy assault elements, but you don't need one unit that everyone in the game is scared to death to charge.

The other realization that hit me was that I either needed more troops or mine to be tough as nails. Since the later isn't going to happen, I'm focusing on adding more scoring units. One item I walked away happy with is that Grey Knights are very difficult to table when played properly. I finished every game with items still on the board, which was one of my greatest fears in running the dual Stormraven DCA list.

So to this end, I have two draft lists that I'm considering play testing and accquiring a couple models for:

List 1 - 2000 Pts - Grey Knights Roster

Total Roster Cost: 2000

HQ: Grey Knight Grand Master (1#, 240 pts)
1 Grey Knight Grand Master, 240 pts = (base cost 175 + Psychotroke Grenades 15 + Master-craft Ranged Weapon 5 + MC Psycannon 45)

HQ: Inquisitor Coteaz (1#, 100 pts)
1 Inquisitor Coteaz, 100 pts

Elite: Purifier Squad (11#, 324 pts)
1 Purifier Squad, 0 pts
1 Knight of the Flame, 34 pts = (base cost 24 + Master-craft Nemesis Weapon(s) 5 + MC Nemesis Daemonhammer 5)
2 Purifier, 68 pts = 2 * 34 (base cost 24 + Psycannon 10)
7 Purifier, 182 pts = 7 * 26 (base cost 24 + Nemesis Force Halberd 2)
1 Rhino, 40 pts

Troops: Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (10#, 213 pts)
1 Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband, 0 pts
3 Crusader, 45 pts = 3 * 15
3 Death Cult Assassin, 45 pts = 3 * 15
1 Jokaero Weaponsmith, 35 pts
2 Warrior Acolyte, 28 pts = 2 * 14 (base cost 4 + Meltagun x1 10)
1 Inquisitorial Chimera, 60 pts = (base cost 55 + Dozer Blade 5)

Troops: Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (8#, 135 pts)
2 Crusader, 30 pts = 2 * 15
2 Inquisitorial Servitor with Multimelta, 20 pts = 2 * 10
1 Rhino, 40 pts

Troops: Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (7#, 180 pts)
4 Crusader, 60 pts = 4 * 15
2 Jokaero Weaponsmith, 70 pts = 2 * 35
1 Razorback, 50 pts = (base cost 45 + Psybolt Ammunition 5)

Troops: Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (9#, 158 pts)
2 Warrior Acolyte, 28 pts = 2 * 14 (base cost 4 + Plasma gun x1 10)
1 Rhino, 40 pts

Troops: Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (4#, 95 pts)

Fast Attack: Grey Knight Interceptor Squad (5#, 150 pts)
1 Grey Knight Interceptor Squad, 0 pts
1 Justicar, 36 pts = (base cost 26 + Nemesis Daemonhammer 10)
3 Grey Knights, 78 pts = 3 * 26
1 Grey Knight, 36 pts = (base cost 26 + Psycannon 10)

Heavy Support: Dreadnought (1#, 135 pts)
1 Dreadnought, 135 pts = (base cost 115 + Psybolt Ammunition 5 + Twin-Linked Autocannon 10 + Twin-Linked Autocannon 5)

1 Dreadnought, 135 pts = (base cost 115 + Psybolt Ammunition 5 + Twin-Linked Autocannon 10 + Twin-Linked Autocannon 5)

This is a MEQ list. Everything has a shell as it stands, but for actual deployment, the Jokers get deployed in cover and the combat squaded purifers w/o psycannons hop in that rback. Attach the GM into the Chimera and push it forward as a solid shooting base. I through in the Jokers for two reasons: One they have lascannons and that is something I desperatly lacked; Two is that they can potentially add to the distance of the weapons of the unit they are in. 36" Psycannon on the GM and 24" Meltaguns would be huge. This list focuses largely on gunning down transports and then mowing through what's inside. I tried to have a bit of combat punch in every unit. Oh, and the 2 combat squads of Purifiers are scoring by default with a GKIS and Dred possibly added to that.

List 2 - 2000 Pts - Grey Knights Roster

Total Roster Cost: 2000

HQ: Grey Knight Grand Master (1#, 245 pts)
1 Grey Knight Grand Master, 245 pts = (base cost 175 + Psychotroke Grenades 15 + Master-craft Nemesis Weapon(s) 5 + Psycannon 45 + MC Nemesis Daemonhammer 5)

HQ: Inquisitor Coteaz (1#, 100 pts)
1 Inquisitor Coteaz, 100 pts

Elite: Venerable Dreadnought (1#, 195 pts)
1 Venerable Dreadnought, 195 pts = (base cost 175 + Psybolt Ammunition 5 + Twin-Linked Autocannon 10 + Twin-Linked Autocannon 5)

Elite: Purifier Squad (5#, 146 pts)
1 Purifier Squad, 0 pts
1 Knight of the Flame, 26 pts = (base cost 24 + Nemesis Force Halberd 2)
2 Purifier, 52 pts = 2 * 26 (base cost 24 + Nemesis Force Halberd 2)
2 Purifier, 68 pts = 2 * 34 (base cost 24 + Psycannon 10)

Troops: Grey Knight Strike Squad (11#, 260 pts)
1 Grey Knight Strike Squad, 0 pts
1 Justicar, 20 pts
2 Grey Knights, 60 pts = 2 * 30 (base cost 20 + Psycannon 10)
6 Grey Knights, 120 pts = 6 * 20
1 Grey Knight, 20 pts
1 Rhino, 40 pts

Troops: Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (4#, 62 pts)
3 Warrior Acolyte, 12 pts = 3 * 4

Troops: Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (6#, 122 pts)
4 Death Cult Assassin, 60 pts = 4 * 15
1 Warrior Acolyte, 7 pts = (base cost 4 + Storm Bolter x1 3)
1 Inquisitorial Chimera, 55 pts

Troops: Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (6#, 125 pts)
5 Death Cult Assassin, 75 pts = 5 * 15

Fast Attack: Stormraven Gunship (1#, 205 pts)
1 Stormraven Gunship, 205 pts

Heavy Support: Land Raider (1#, 270 pts)
1 Land Raider, 270 pts = (base cost 255 + Multi-melta 10 + Psybolt Ammunition 5)

This is a similar list in MEQ form, but it incorporates a Landraider and a Stormraven. These will each have some DCA in them and the DCA's vehicles will be hijacked by other units. The purifiers and the GM will slide into the Chimera while the non psycannon squad of GKSS will hop in the rback. The GM can make the Ven Dred, Purifiers, or Dreds troops. I really dig this list because it is different while fielding a variety of weapons that can be used to get at your opponents soft spots.

Thoughts on the two lists?
Back to top Go down
DreadArchon
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
DreadArchon

PostSubject: Re: Post WAR Games Con - Grey Knights   Post WAR Games Con - Grey Knights Icon_minitime13th July 2011, 10:35 am

1st list

I think you can get away without the purifiers. Sure they can be scoring buy you can give it to the Dreads who are hanging back anyway. All your other troops are more close range oriented so none can effectivly hold a rear area objective. With the points I would fill out the intercepetors (this is a scary unit if its scoring) and maybe put in an assassin (vindicare would be my choice) or upgrade the Razorback with a TL lascannon and filling the transports out.

Corteaz allows for henchmen to be deployed en mass so why not use it? Also what is you plan for other missions, how would you distribute Grand Strategy and what would you choose?

2nd List

The storm raven seems out of place. Maybe drop it and make the other dreads Venerable? Id also condier extra armor on all the vehicles. Yes you have fortitude but EA assures you of at least being able to move no matter what.

Overall I think the 1st list is more workable
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Post WAR Games Con - Grey Knights   Post WAR Games Con - Grey Knights Icon_minitime13th July 2011, 11:19 pm

I like the 2nd list better. The first list just doesn't do it for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post WAR Games Con - Grey Knights   Post WAR Games Con - Grey Knights Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Post WAR Games Con - Grey Knights
Page 1 of 1