Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

basing after painting

Go down 
+3
big_d
Wildeyedjester
bdix
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

basing after painting Empty
PostSubject: basing after painting   basing after painting Icon_minitime15th February 2011, 3:50 am

I plan to paint my new tau, then put them on my lava bases. My question is do I paint the lava bases before or after I glue to mini on it? I've heard that paint on paint doesnt hold well.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: basing after painting   basing after painting Icon_minitime15th February 2011, 8:48 am

It's best to paint fancy bases first, but then you need to pin the model to the base. It helps a lot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: basing after painting   basing after painting Icon_minitime15th February 2011, 1:22 pm

I am able to get away with gluing painted models on sand-flocked bases. There is enough cracks and surface area for it to stick.

I have never had any luck with models sticking to resin bases either painted or unpainted - you will need to pin them or every time you drop one the base will fly off in spectacular fashion.

I would paint the model and base separately, and then pin and glue it to the resin base.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: basing after painting   basing after painting Icon_minitime15th February 2011, 3:20 pm

Hmm I guess ill be needing a tutorial on how to do that when the time comes...my second question, what are the things u have to do before u start working with resin pieces?

Back to top Go down
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought
Haren

PostSubject: Re: basing after painting   basing after painting Icon_minitime15th February 2011, 4:55 pm

bdix wrote:
Hmm I guess ill be needing a tutorial on how to do that when the time comes...my second question, what are the things u have to do before u start working with resin pieces?

Hot water bath is the only thing I have ever heard about prepping fw
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: basing after painting   basing after painting Icon_minitime15th February 2011, 7:19 pm

Resin enjoys long walks in the park and a hot bubbly bath. Resin doesn't like it too hot though or it will bend and warp. Resin doesn't like to be man handled - she is delicate and easily injured. Resin must be properly primed for things to come or she doesn't respond well. Resin doesnt like to be treated like those 'other' easy to get bases. She demands extra attention to her details and for you to properly pin her to her figure. If you try to go too fast or cut corners with resin, you don't get the end results you were hoping for.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: basing after painting   basing after painting Icon_minitime15th February 2011, 8:09 pm

Wow, that was quite the description jeremy! So soap and water, and then prime? Sounds easy enough

Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: basing after painting   basing after painting Icon_minitime15th February 2011, 8:32 pm

All minis should have a nice warm bath to get that special oily feeling that they use to make them pop out right after birth from the molds. Resin minis HAVE to have a nice warm bath, or painting them will become very sad.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: basing after painting   basing after painting Icon_minitime15th February 2011, 8:42 pm

Dakka has a good tutorial here.
Back to top Go down
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

PostSubject: Re: basing after painting   basing after painting Icon_minitime15th February 2011, 9:38 pm

Basically remove any flash or mold lines as normal. If anything is bent put it in pretty warm water (I heat it on the stove) and bend it back and let it cool naturally. With bases you probably won't have to worry about that last step. Wash in water with dish soup with a toothbrush. Use a real PRIMER not just flat paint. That's all there is to it really.
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: basing after painting   basing after painting Icon_minitime16th February 2011, 12:57 am

I actually didn't know about having to user primer until this week. I had some fighter tokens from Dystopian wars I was working on and I didn't get one primed. No big deal, I'll just paint the whole thing Chaos Black and seal it twice - will save time and it works on metal.

Man what a mess that was. The paint wouldn't stick to the resin. It was really weird. It was almost like water rolling around on top of oil.

Fortunately I was able to wash it off and prime it up proper. Made me realize how important it is to get a good layer of primer down on stuff moving forward.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: basing after painting   basing after painting Icon_minitime16th February 2011, 1:14 am

Capn, that tutorial is glorious, thank you. Gave me some hope that I can pin my kroot also.
Back to top Go down
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought
Haren

PostSubject: Re: basing after painting   basing after painting Icon_minitime16th February 2011, 1:25 am

Another good rundown of things to remember on resin

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: basing after painting   basing after painting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

basing after painting
Page 1 of 1