Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Snow basing?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Snow basing? Empty
PostSubject: Snow basing?   Snow basing? Icon_minitime20th September 2010, 10:01 am

Anyone have a good tutorial for snow basing? I went back and checked the one Jester did, but the link is dead. Just PVA and baking soda and seal it well?
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Snow basing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow basing?   Snow basing? Icon_minitime20th September 2010, 11:02 am

Hopefully Monkey will see this and pipe up, he did a lot of snow basing on his Space Wolves.

From what I remember you want to make a slurry and put it on the base - I think you mix PVA and baking soda (you can add just a hint of a real light blue to give it a more cold feel).

I would be sure to grab a few spare bases and try out a few recipes before trying it on your models.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

Snow basing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow basing?   Snow basing? Icon_minitime20th September 2010, 1:35 pm

capnwoodrow wrote:
Anyone have a good tutorial for snow basing? I went back and checked the one Jester did, but the link is dead. Just PVA and baking soda and seal it well?

You got it, but you also add some titanium ultra white paint from hobby lobby. Otherwise it will look yellowed..... as it is setting up, you dust it with baking soda over the top to give it a granulated look.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Snow basing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow basing?   Snow basing? Icon_minitime20th September 2010, 8:00 pm

Awesome. I'll try it out.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Snow basing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow basing?   Snow basing? Icon_minitime23rd September 2010, 5:34 pm

Thanks for the tips, I like how it turned out.

Anyone got a good ice effect tutorial?
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Snow basing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow basing?   Snow basing? Icon_minitime23rd September 2010, 5:48 pm

I've seen a few here and there - it is a bit trickier than snow. What I have seen most people use is a clear resin or melted clear plastic (clears the sinuses right out.) You might also have some luck with water effects.

I think the easiest way to do it would be to use a real light blue (Ice Blue mixed with Skull White) and then paint it with some gloss varnish or 'Ardcoat after you seal the model - just depends on what you are going for (Icey ground, or hanging ice.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Snow basing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow basing?   Snow basing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snow basing?
Page 1 of 1