Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested

Go down 
+2
gamewizard
capnwoodrow
6 posters
AuthorMessage
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested Empty
PostSubject: Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested   Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested Icon_minitime19th February 2011, 11:40 pm

So all this basing talk has got me wanting to do resin bases for my "Abyssal Dwarves" when they come out - which of these do you think fit the blasted wastes of Zhar Naggrund?

These

or

These

if anyone else has any desert/wasteland bases I'd love to see them as well. I'm tempted by lava basing, but I feel like it would be weird having dwarves just walking across lava...

EDIT: fixt

Last edited by capnwoodrow on 20th February 2011, 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested   Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested Icon_minitime20th February 2011, 12:56 am

My opinion is to go with the second one. The first one looks more regimented, like paving stones in a city; the second has more of a blasted wasteland look to me.

Just an opinion. It's worth what you paid for it.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested   Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested Icon_minitime20th February 2011, 1:16 am

I like the first one better..but the second wouldbe easier to paint
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested   Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested Icon_minitime20th February 2011, 11:15 am

I'm inclined to agree with both Gamewizard and bdix. While I do like the first one better it does seem more like cobblestone with boulders thrown in. Granted that may he due to the paint job more than anything, but I think if you're going for 'blasted wastes' the second option might be the way to go.

-edit- it most certainly is the paint job, took a closer look and I think the first would look really nice with a few pudgy little dwarves on top... That said, I was under the impression Naggarond was a frozen wasteland but I could be wrong, fantasy (and its fluff) is not my forté.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested   Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested Icon_minitime20th February 2011, 11:57 am

Naggarond is where the DEs live.

Zharr-Narggrund is the CDs homeland in the middle of the Darklands which are equiv to the Middle East.

The designers of WFB hit the bottom of the barrel for naming things...
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested   Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested Icon_minitime20th February 2011, 12:34 pm

I actually have some of the wasteland bases, but they are round. I used them for my Orcs.

I think I like the second ones better, but they will be harder to paint.

To save money on my Orks I used the resin bases on the cooler models and then on the regular guys I used a fine sand that would have the same texture, just not all the cool bits, and painted them the same way. They fit in really nice that way and I didn't have to use resin for the whole army.
Back to top Go down
Cpt_Tiberius
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Cpt_Tiberius

PostSubject: Re: Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested   Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested Icon_minitime20th February 2011, 2:01 pm

I am with the others. I prefer the first I think. It has that dried cracked mud look. I haven't really seen any armies based on that type of terrain. Also since Zharr-Naggrund is further north, it might give more of a "badlands" feel over the typical sand-dune type dessert. Choice of color would also be a determining factor, as you can go with darker colors, rusts, browns and ochres over lighter tans and bleached yellows to get a different feel.

But, the second are also good, and like Big D said, you could "skimp" on the rank and file, just using the resin around the edge of the unit. This would save money, and is much easier to achieve with the second pick, since it looks a bit more like traditionally sanded bases.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested   Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Basing for my Chaos Dwarves - input requested
Page 1 of 1