Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Rules

Go down 
+11
bsimon
Monkey
big_d
capnwoodrow
deletethisuser
Wildeyedjester
guyverlord3
Dannato
Fulminata
Fethos
gamewizard
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime15th June 2010, 2:15 pm

A few 8th Edition rules I have read:

Pre-measuring for both movement and shooting is allowed in 8th Edition.

I can see how this is going to allow new players to be drawn into the game much easier. I can also see it will slow the game down if you have a player that wants to pre-measure everything. That's where Sportsmanship scores will come into play during a tournament game. ("Did your opponent refrain from doing any unnecessary pre-measuring?")

Units attack with both the front rank and the 2 rank as well. Units in the second rank get only one attack instead of their listed attacks.

Horde units are units that are ten models wide. Horde units allow a unit to attack three ranks deep instead of just two.

Empire is now an army that a beginner can take. Guess weapons are a thing of the past. Shooting cannons is a matter of choosing a point on the game board that the cannon can see and is in range of the cannon (pre-measuring allowed) and shooting at it. Cannon balls still bounce a random amount so the shooter has to be aware of that.

Magic cards are coming back into play and will be available July 10th. I haven't read to far into Magic; I have a Free RPG game this weekend I running and have to prepare for.

The caster rolls 2d6 and that is the power dice available for the round. Each magic user adds 1 to the dice to a maximum of 12 dice available. When the 2 dice are rolled; look at the highest die and that is the number of Dispel dice your opponent has. I am sure there are rules that add to the Dispel dice; I just haven't gotten that far into the rules.

So far the rules I have read make me very excited about the new edition. I will be getting my Empire pieces back out and will be playing them as well as Daemons and Beastmen. Maybe Skaven as well.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime15th June 2010, 4:53 pm

Just got through looking at it...Wow! number 1 thing, don't miscast! 3 out of the 5 results cause a str.10 hit on the wizard and troops in the surrounding region, 1 result causes a str.6 hit on all friendly wizards and a lose of D6 power dice, and the last result causes a lose of D3 magic levels(and D3 spells too) and D6 power dice. As for magic casting, it is 2D6 power dice at the beginning of the phase with the largest die of the 2D6 also being the amount of dispel dice the other player gets for the phase. In addition to those, each mage on the table has a chance to add to their pool by rolling a 6. This is done by rolling a D6 for each wizard in your army. Any wizard can use up to 6 dice to cast any spell, and whatever they roll they add their magic level to the dice roll. If a wizard fails to ever successfully cast a spell they cannot attempt to cast another spell that turn. So, alot of changes, and that is just in the magic phase.

Nathan
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime15th June 2010, 5:31 pm

For h-t-h, they have done away with +1 for outnumbering. So, the basic combat results are +1 for charging, +1 for a standard, +1 for flank, +2 for rear, and up to +3 for ranks of at least 5 models. To negate rank bonus from a flank/rear charge you must have at least 2 complete ranks(2 ranks of 5.)

Alot of the new edition will also focus on direction. Another major change I saw was that skirmishers no longer have a 360 degrees line of sight. These units now have a front, flank, and rear just like a blocked up unit. So, you can actually charge a skirmished unit in the flank while they are still in their "loose formation." The rule is the same for a charging skirmished unit. They must be facing the unit to charge.

The other big one was the range of flying creatures. They now move(glide) 10 inches, charge 10 inches, and march 20 inches. Also flying cav. is no longer skirmished...Bret Pegasus knights will now have to fly in ranks.

The last major change is the terrain. Terrain will now have special effects on troops moving through it. One example is a river that causes your passing troops to be +3 initiative till your next turn. These effects are not known though until you take the risk of putting your troops into the terrain. Then you roll on a chart to see the effect the terrain piece has on your forces. After one person rolls on the chart that terrain piece bestows that effect for the rest of the game(it is no longer random.)

Nathan
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime15th June 2010, 6:55 pm

gamewizard wrote:

Pre-measuring for both movement and shooting is allowed in 8th Edition.
Worth repeating Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
gamewizard
gamewizard

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime15th June 2010, 8:19 pm

I am excited about the changes; that they can bring in new players to the game more easily.

Just my overall opinion of the rules so far. I'm not going to pick at them until I read further.

There is a big miscast chance if you roll one die; not so much if you roll two or more. A 1 or a 2 is an automatic miscast. The caster gets to add their level to the casting die.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime15th June 2010, 8:28 pm

Pretty sure that a 1 or a 2 is just a failed cast, not a miscast. There's a big difference now given how damaging miscasts are.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Dannato
Spirit Guide to Lost Souls
Dannato

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime15th June 2010, 9:32 pm

Fail to meet the casting value means the wizard cannot cast anything else that magic phase
Back to top Go down
guyverlord3
Vanilla Marine with Blue Armor
guyverlord3

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime15th June 2010, 10:13 pm

him. well that mean as long as I bring lvl 2 wiz in my vamps that they will always cast rez as long as I have skel and beast on each of the guys....ok. That sucks for my skaven, have to really I have enuf dice to cast all my spells, no more " well lets see what the dice say."
Back to top Go down
http://www.stevenlykins.com
guyverlord3
guyverlord3

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime15th June 2010, 10:14 pm

do you still have to roll for spells, or does each caster know everything, or can you hand pick the spells per caster?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stevenlykins.com
Dannato
Dannato

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime15th June 2010, 10:17 pm

You still roll for spells.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime15th June 2010, 10:18 pm

What about fighting and initiative values? Still chargers swing first or is it initiative?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
Dannato
Dannato

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime15th June 2010, 10:40 pm

Its completely initiative based in 8th., charging gives you a +1 bonus to combat res and always strike first lets you reroll hits if you do have higher initiative than your opponent.
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime15th June 2010, 10:45 pm

Yeah combat is in initiative order, and there is no more +1 to your save for using hand weapon and shield in close combat (no more 2+ armour save chaos warrior/temple guard/iron breakers.) Instead, hand weapon and shield will give the model a "parry save" which is a 6+ ward save in combat.

Nathan
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime16th June 2010, 12:02 am

Fulminata wrote:
Pretty sure that a 1 or a 2 is just a failed cast, not a miscast. There's a big difference now given how damaging miscasts are.

My bad on not reading that. I misheard what you said. I blame it on the awesome sewage smell.

The shop smells much better now. Rob, Andy, Mike, and Ray worked on it.

Ok, Mike, me and Ray watched while Rob steam cleaned the carpet and Andy mopped all the concrete.
Back to top Go down
deletethisuser
Blind Ratling Sniper
deletethisuser

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Changes to armies?   New Rules Icon_minitime16th June 2010, 12:20 am

Anything done to fix the very different power levels between different armies? Doesn't matter if the rules are great if the power levels are totally wacked out.

That said I hope the game is a success and maybe when they release the next Orc and Goblins I will fall in line:)
Back to top Go down
http://flekkzo.blogspot.com
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime16th June 2010, 12:28 am

No, it doesn't appear to have fixed any power levels of the armies. Daemons will still be up there as well as empire and dwarfs with their artillery. Pretty much nothing has changed as far as where the armies stand level wise.
Back to top Go down
Dannato
Dannato

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime16th June 2010, 12:56 am

Lizards and vampires have taken a pretty good hit but daemons and dark elves are still right up there
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime16th June 2010, 4:11 am

Overall I believe this edition will be a great success. I plan on it being that way at CHG and will be pushing it as best I can on new players.

If I can get as big a group of faithful players for Fantasy going at CHG as I do for 40K then I will deem it a success.

So far the new rules set has generated much excitement at the shop.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime16th June 2010, 7:36 am

Dannato wrote:
Lizards and vampires have taken a pretty good hit but daemons and dark elves are still right up there

What!?

WTS 1x Lizard Army. Will trade for hopes and dreams...
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime16th June 2010, 8:26 am

The Lizardmen won't take that bad of a hit in the new rules as long as you stay away from the magic phase. Just take a saurus old blood, a couple of priest for dispel attempts, loads of warriors w/ spears, and as many stegadons as you can(D6 +1 impact hits and the thunder stomp rule.)

Orcs and gobbos will move up a step. Skaven may as well. Both these armies can bring large units of cheap troops, and given the new bonus for ranks in combat (more ranks than enemy in h-t-h makes your unit stubborn) Slave units will become the new zombies/tar pit.
Back to top Go down
Dannato
Dannato

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime16th June 2010, 2:19 pm

Nate, you should run slann with cupped hands just to blow up other characters:)
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime16th June 2010, 2:38 pm

I'm pretty excited about the changes. From what I have been hearing my Ogres just might have to come out of retirement. I also might have to finish up my Skaven - the Plague Tower Catapault thing is looking really tasty now since you get to measure - I was terrible at guessing range.
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime16th June 2010, 2:44 pm

Lol. Yeah, that is what I thought too. Run the slann with cupped hands, BSB, and the know every spell discipline. That leaves me with enough points to also take a old blood with light armour, the burning blade, and maiming shield.
Back to top Go down
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Monkey

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime16th June 2010, 3:08 pm

So, after a brief perusal, here's what I've got. I'm focused on army selection, so I wanted to see if ogres would be viable.

Monstrous infantry like ogres get their full complement of attacks when attacking from the 2nd rank.
They only need to be 3 wide for a rank bonus and 6 wide for the horde rule.
They get a special Stomp attack that always strikes last.

Also, breath weapons are one shot only.
Monsters get a Thunderstomp, which is like the Stomp, bit it does d6attacks at the base strength.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime16th June 2010, 9:50 pm

Monkey wrote:
So, after a brief perusal, here's what I've got. I'm focused on army selection, so I wanted to see if ogres would be viable.

Monstrous infantry like ogres get their full complement of attacks when attacking from the 2nd rank.
They only need to be 3 wide for a rank bonus and 6 wide for the horde rule.
They get a special Stomp attack that always strikes last.

Also, breath weapons are one shot only.
Monsters get a Thunderstomp, which is like the Stomp, bit it does d6attacks at the base strength.

I think most armies are going to be viable under 8th. These changes will bump Ogres up, but I think they will still be considered a mid-tier army. I could be very wrong though. Since no one has really broken the % based lists yet, you could really see a nasty army come out of left field for the big guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Rules   New Rules Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Rules
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next