Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Capn's Weekly Discussion thread

Go down 
+7
bdix
big_d
Wildeyedjester
bsimon
Haren
Cpt_Tiberius
capnwoodrow
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets

Capn's Weekly Discussion thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capn's Weekly Discussion thread   Capn's Weekly Discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime16th September 2010, 4:21 pm

In the spirit of new scenarios, can we take a page from the new Fantasy Book and make the terrain more interactive.
Or put a 40k spin on it. For example, what if each player could put a mine field out there somethere. Before the game, write down where it is and when triggered, show your opponent. They could be anti-personnel or anti-tank or even put one of each out there.
Back to top Go down
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle

PostSubject: Re: Capn's Weekly Discussion thread   Capn's Weekly Discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime16th September 2010, 5:21 pm

I really will get one organized, someone just give me a place to put it and a date. I have strong ties with 3 or 4 players in conway and know a couple players in russellville, so actually I probally would be the best person to do it.

Start thinking on what date you want it and consider it done
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Capn's Weekly Discussion thread   Capn's Weekly Discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime16th September 2010, 5:28 pm

Quote :
In the spirit of new scenarios, can we take a page from the new Fantasy Book and make the terrain more interactive.

I'd have to argue against this, though ignore my opinion as you wish since I can't attend as regularly as Brian anyway, honestly the interactive terrain is one of the things that's making me dislike 8th ed Fantasy. There is very little actual reliability in the game any more, unless you play high elves, everything (including the new terrain) is ridiculously random except the combat phase. I've experienced 2/6 games now where the random terrain has been the winner, not the person on the winning army. Example: Mysterious River (of Light) decimating support units, or Mist-Wreathed Swamp eating whole units of low int models.

Honestly I think anyone attempting to force that system into a tournament setting is asking for trouble. Just my 2ยข there.

As for a Team Tourney, I'm not immensely interested either for similar reasons as above. It's a little to random/gimmicky for my taste. But don't let that stop you, I'd probably end up playing in one too if I could find the time and a teammate anyway.

In regards to a NOVA format tournament, I would be all for it. One thing you may want to look into though, I've heard the Sports scoring was a little wonky.
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Capn's Weekly Discussion thread   Capn's Weekly Discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime16th September 2010, 6:30 pm

what type of tournament(fantasy, 40k, what)
Back to top Go down
Kragg
Ork Boy without teef
Ork Boy without teef

PostSubject: Re: Capn's Weekly Discussion thread   Capn's Weekly Discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime16th September 2010, 10:34 pm

PhantomPhoenix wrote:
In regards to a NOVA format tournament, .

This rule got a chuckle out of me.

Quote :
All players must attend the event showered and wearing deodorant; respect your peers!
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Capn's Weekly Discussion thread   Capn's Weekly Discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime17th September 2010, 12:22 am

You laugh, I agree. There is nothing worse than a smelly room full of gamers (I.e. Akon day 3)
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Capn's Weekly Discussion thread   Capn's Weekly Discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime17th September 2010, 2:45 pm

Just my (2nd) 2 cents:

Something that comes up repeatedly here is "why don't all the shops locally get together and do a giant event?" From my business perspective, what would be the financial incentive to do so? Remember, while this is a hobby for the players, it is a means of income for at least two of the local shop owners (since Will's stated goal is to break even). There needs to be a reason for a shop to hold a tournament. That reason probably needs to be at least partly financial.

Only 1 shop in the area really has the resources to truly put together a 40+ person event, in terms of tables, terrain, etc. Brian may choose to elaborate on what goes into planning a tournament, but from speaking with Roy, Dennis, and about a dozen other TOs around the country, here's a rough idea of what it takes to run a large event:
1) Planning. Start 6 months out. Roy used to start the Hillbilly 9 months before it happened.
2) Dedicated staff. Most events of 40+ people have 5 or so volunteers, for rules & paint judging, pairings, etc. These people also build terrain, etc.
3) Money. Room deposits on that hotel have to be paid, usually upfront. I recall Roy talking about $2k deposits out of pocket for one venue.
4) Organization. Who paid what, where, etc. Are you selling t-shirts? Through whom? Is the design finished? Have you talked to the printer?
5) Advertisement. Word of mouth is great. NOVA did really well from blogs and word of mouth. It is by far the exception. Most events start small and grow.
6) Time. A TO is likely putting in 20 hours a week or so in terms of follow up. Terrain has to be built. Tables have to be made.
7) Details. Do you have dice/ tape measures/ rulebooks? Did you test scenarios? Does the room have A/C? Is there a curfew at the venue? Food? Drinks?
Cool Thick skin. Be ready to deal with the bitching and still hype up next year.

After all of the above, what is your goal? To break even? I know of exactly 1 tournament, 1 year, that made money, and almost all of it was reinvested into terrain, tables, etc.

What is the ROI for a shop to do this? You need enough increased sales to justify the time and resource expenditure. Once you have one with a successful venture, what is his justification for allowing other venues to buy in. PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT suggesting Brian is against this. I honestly haven't talked to him at all about this, although from a gamer perspective I would be in favor of a single chief - makes decisions of whether or not to attend much easier. I just find it amusing when people post "the shops here should all get together and do XXX" - if you believe it that much, feel free to approach them and see if it can be set up.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Capn's Weekly Discussion thread   Capn's Weekly Discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime17th September 2010, 3:26 pm

bsimon wrote:
I just find it amusing when people post "the shops here should all get together and do XXX"

Really? I wouldn't think there'd be a large fanbase in Ares/Big D/Gamewizard 3-way erotica...

Sorry... I couldn't resist......
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Capn's Weekly Discussion thread   Capn's Weekly Discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime17th September 2010, 5:10 pm

Rule 34 says there is a fanbase. Unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Capn's Weekly Discussion thread   Capn's Weekly Discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Capn's Weekly Discussion thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2