Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The amazing old games thread

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

The amazing old games thread Empty
PostSubject: The amazing old games thread   The amazing old games thread Icon_minitime24th February 2011, 11:19 pm

Figured I'd save the trouble of cluttering that other thread and make this. Now then, everyone go out and buy a copy of Brigandine for the PSX. It's up there with FFT for me.
Back to top Go down
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

PostSubject: Re: The amazing old games thread   The amazing old games thread Icon_minitime24th February 2011, 11:57 pm

What is brigidine? I've been on a kick of playing really old RPG's lately. HAHAHA and FFT is my hands down fav game and I'm not even a FFF (final fantasy fag)
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: The amazing old games thread   The amazing old games thread Icon_minitime25th February 2011, 12:16 am

Brigindine is a tactical RPG like FFT, where you take control of 1 of like 5 armies and try to stop the bad guy army, as well as destroy the other 4. You level up knights of various classes, can send them on quests to get stuff, get new knights, and level up monsters that fight with you. They all have 3 tiers at which they evolve into at certain levels, including the characters. I.E. a knight becomes a paladin who becomes some holy crusador thing. Its pretty awesome. The one drawback is the story line is total crap and kind of ridiculas.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: The amazing old games thread   The amazing old games thread Icon_minitime25th February 2011, 8:09 pm

Actually, here is a list of games that use the same sort of system as FFT (roughly)

- Fire Emblem (Gamecube, Wii...handheld ones suck)
-Final Fantasy 5 (turn based like the others, though...just job system) (PSX, in the anthology set)
-Brigandine (PSX)
-Valkyarie Chronicles (PS3...kind of strange spin on the fighting)
-Mission Front 3 (PSX)- FFT set in space pretty much...
-Jeanne D'Arc (PSP)

I know there are more that I am not thinking of....After beating FFT, I actively looked for others like it. But that was like 10 years ago, so ya know....

Seriously, play Fire Emblem if you haven't....amazing game.
Back to top Go down
Cpt_Tiberius
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Cpt_Tiberius

PostSubject: Re: The amazing old games thread   The amazing old games thread Icon_minitime25th February 2011, 8:36 pm

Here are my votes:

• Xeno Gears - I actually enjoyed this one more than FF7. I still want a submarine that travels under the desert sands.

• Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi - Probably not the best fighting game, but good for my (poor) skill level

• Metal Gear Solid - awesome, the end.

• Tenchu - also known as Metal Gear Ninja

• Colony Wars - Space fighter flight sim. THought it had a good story, sad to see the franchise die after 2 games.

• Vagrant story - was a weird turn based game, like FF tactics, but with only a few people on the "board" at a time. Loved the ability to use forges to upgrade your weapons.

So looking over the list I appear to be a Square Enix fan-boy lol
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: The amazing old games thread   The amazing old games thread Icon_minitime25th February 2011, 9:02 pm

Games that I can always fire up and play:

-FFT. Been discussed to death. Doesn't get any better.

-Harvest Moon. I really enjoy the laid back farming. Sad. I know.

-Mega Man II. Greatest game of a strong franchise.

-Fallout 1 & 2. Even though I love the new Fallouts there is still something about the old ones that I can still replay through.

For me, the ultimate 'old game' that I can always fire up and play at any time is X-COM. Seriously. Greatest games ever made. You just have to get past the graphics, but I loved how those games played. In fact...i should fire it up again...I could play through with all the Hogs of War members as squadmates...ooo..the drama...
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: The amazing old games thread   The amazing old games thread Icon_minitime26th February 2011, 3:38 am

Vagrant story was one that I was trying to remember. I also agree with Xenos Gear, that whole series was amazing. And if we are speaking of Harvest Moon, I hope it is the SNES version because to me there is no other game in that series. N64 on all sucked pretty hard.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: The amazing old games thread   The amazing old games thread Icon_minitime26th February 2011, 9:15 am

I was actually talking about my PS1 copy - fantastic. Very much in the same vein as the SNES version.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: The amazing old games thread   The amazing old games thread Icon_minitime26th February 2011, 1:40 pm

I never played the PSX one actually...I'll have to give it a go. All the other ones I played were too involved and actually had story lines. I'm just a simple farmer at heart!
Back to top Go down
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

PostSubject: Re: The amazing old games thread   The amazing old games thread Icon_minitime27th February 2011, 4:10 am

I was actually looking at buying vagrant story on ebay today. I didn't know it was set in Ivalice until... today!
I use to love colony wars back in the day. It was probably my favorite ship/air combat game of all time. Sad to see it go out like that. I've just been in a really old style RPG mode lately. I think a lot of the really old part is I don't own or intend to get any system after ps2. I still have my Nintendo and my SNES though. *Shrug*

My fav games are.

FFT = PSX
Mario RPG = SNES
Castlvania Symphony of the Night = PSX
Tekken Tag = PS2
Smash Bros = N64
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

PostSubject: Re: The amazing old games thread   The amazing old games thread Icon_minitime27th February 2011, 10:07 am

Good topic. It has been awhile since I played a video game, but these are my old favs.:

1. Fantasy Empires (PC). Not sure how to describe it, so just try it.

2. WCW vs NWO (N64). Great multiplayer fighting game.

3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64). Played this game till my eyes melted.

4. Area 51 (Arcade). A great way to get rid of your quarters.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: The amazing old games thread   The amazing old games thread Icon_minitime27th February 2011, 1:11 pm

Nice old school list there Feltos... I'm kind of a conaseuier of SNES games, particularly RPGS. My aim a long time ago was to collect every single RPG on the system. I'll just list my favorites:

-Chrono Trigger (TIMELESS)
-FF3
-FF2
-Secret of Mana
-Uncharted Waters
- King Arthur and the Knights of Justice
- Sunset Riders
-The 7th Saga
-Super Metroid
-Rampart
-Act Raiser 2
-Gradius III
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The amazing old games thread   The amazing old games thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The amazing old games thread
Page 1 of 1