Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Castle Ravenloft Boardgame

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Castle Ravenloft Boardgame Empty
PostSubject: Castle Ravenloft Boardgame   Castle Ravenloft Boardgame Icon_minitime27th August 2010, 12:55 pm

Anyone interested in this game? I know that capnwoodrow was talking about it a while back.

It looks like the street date on it is next Tuesday. It retails for $65 but if anyone wants a copy of it I can order it for you @ 20% off for pickup on Friday or Saturday. Just let me know if you want one through email or PM and I will have it for you next weekend.
Back to top Go down
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Castle Ravenloft Boardgame   Castle Ravenloft Boardgame Icon_minitime27th August 2010, 4:43 pm

What kind of game is it? I'm always interested in new board games
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Castle Ravenloft Boardgame   Castle Ravenloft Boardgame Icon_minitime27th August 2010, 4:47 pm

As best I can tell it plays sort of like Descent without a dedicated GM - each player takes turn running the monsters. It is more of a true cooperative game than what Descent is. It sounds like it has a bit of the Marvel Co-Op board game feel to it.

I am sure that there are some other folks on here who could describe it better than I can.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Castle Ravenloft Boardgame   Castle Ravenloft Boardgame Icon_minitime27th August 2010, 5:52 pm

Yeah. It's Descent, sans-overlord.

Every turn you activate a player, he can take an action. If he 'reveals' a new area then he spawns on a monster on the revealed area and in the Villain phase he takes control of that monster. This means every player gets a turn at the "overlord wheel."

Monsters all have their own pre-set actions, which are very abstract. Usually its if a) then X, otherwise b) then Y.

You get XP for killing monsters and can spend XP to stop monster spawns/traps or level up. There are 10 or 12 missions that you set up in the corebook and they have varying levels of difficulty. The real shining point is that the game can be played from solo to five players due to the monster behaviors being set.

The rules are basically DND 4e. You have powers, AC, hit points, you roll a d20 for skill checks/attacks.

I liked it well enough, but didn't like enough to replace Descent (only because I have $$$ invested in Descent), but if I could snag it at a decent price point *cough* then it'd be worth a pick up and addition to the boardgame library.

They already have an expansion in the pipeline that features one of the D&D iconic baddies, Ashardalon, and it's rumored to feature a campaign style of play a la Road to Legend.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Castle Ravenloft Boardgame   Castle Ravenloft Boardgame Icon_minitime27th August 2010, 6:01 pm

sounds like something I'd like. I've always wanted to play descent, but never wanted to dm or couldnt find a dm
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Castle Ravenloft Boardgame   Castle Ravenloft Boardgame Icon_minitime28th August 2010, 12:45 am

I'm suddenly more interested in this than I was. Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Castle Ravenloft Boardgame   Castle Ravenloft Boardgame Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Castle Ravenloft Boardgame
Page 1 of 1