Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

40k noob building an army, looking for suggestions!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dahtay
Squig with flatulence
Dahtay

40k noob building an army, looking for suggestions! Empty
PostSubject: 40k noob building an army, looking for suggestions!   40k noob building an army, looking for suggestions! Icon_minitime7th May 2010, 1:44 pm

Hi guys, I play alot of Warmachine but have only watched a couple games of 40k. As such I don't know much about the game except that I absolutely love the Tau Empire faction. Now I've heard from a lot of people that know 40k that Tau is about the worst faction to start out with as they are all ranged and have little to no melee capability. I, however, am dead set on playing tau and tau only. I love the challenge, I'm one of those people that start every single video game out on the hardest difficulty available. So my basic question is what units should I buy to make a good starting point for a tau army? I kinda guessed at least one troop of Firewarriors, but past that I have absolutely no idea. I don't even know the rules of the game. I did download a tau codex pdf but It's been little help on the actual game rules. Anyways any help at all would be much appreciated, and thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: 40k noob building an army, looking for suggestions!   40k noob building an army, looking for suggestions! Icon_minitime7th May 2010, 4:27 pm

Congrats on choosing to start an army.

You are right, Tau are a bit tricky to play, but it sounds like you will enjoy the challenge.

For starters I would go with a box of Fire Warriors - I am pretty sure that you are required to have one in your army. I would suggest painting them up and settling on your paint scheme before buying anything else.

From there you can't go wrong with a Devil fish. It is the main transport for your army - if you build them with a bit of forethough you can also swap out turrets to make it your main battle tank so that is a bonus.

Tau have lots of neat units, but they almost suffer from a bit of what the Eldar suffer from - everything is highly specialized.

A few unit of Kroot are cheap and work great as a speed bump/counter charge unit. The Broadside and Crisis suits are both effective in game and are some of the coolest models in the entire GW range.

Other than this you will have to ask some more experienced Tau players. There are a few lurking around on here that will surely have some more advice for you.
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur

PostSubject: Re: 40k noob building an army, looking for suggestions!   40k noob building an army, looking for suggestions! Icon_minitime7th May 2010, 5:52 pm

I am a fan of the Tau Battleforce to start out with gives you a crisis suit, some stealth suits, fire warriors, devilfish and some kroot which is a good mix of stuff and a good little same force.
Back to top Go down
RetroPengo
Chaplain and a book full of sermons
Chaplain and a book full of sermons
RetroPengo

PostSubject: Re: 40k noob building an army, looking for suggestions!   40k noob building an army, looking for suggestions! Icon_minitime12th May 2010, 4:27 am

90% of the time, a battleforce is the best place to start.

Ask Bdix, he plays Tau.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40k noob building an army, looking for suggestions!   40k noob building an army, looking for suggestions! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

40k noob building an army, looking for suggestions!
Page 1 of 1