Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone got any suggestions?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

Anyone got any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone got any suggestions?   Anyone got any suggestions? Icon_minitime6th April 2010, 5:20 pm

I've been getting worked lately, and I think it has alot to do with me taking too many railguns. I know they are the best peice of armory Tau have, but it seems to me that they are overkill alot of times for their point cost. What do you guys think? Anyone seen a successful Tau army being played recently? I have a few ideas I'm going to try out, but it seems with all the fast melee armies that have been unleashed lately I cant get away fast enough to stay out of combat and still fire weapons.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Anyone got any suggestions?   Anyone got any suggestions? Icon_minitime6th April 2010, 8:46 pm

I recommend starting here:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=cat180002&aId=13200004
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Anyone got any suggestions?   Anyone got any suggestions? Icon_minitime6th April 2010, 8:52 pm

I also recommend heavy use of Piranhas and sacrificial Kroot. Use them to deny movement to some of the assault elements when possible.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Anyone got any suggestions?   Anyone got any suggestions? Icon_minitime6th April 2010, 11:42 pm

Yeah I have been doing that, but i think I've relied too heavy on piranhas as actual tank busters. Also, with blood angels they can just jumppack over.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Anyone got any suggestions?   Anyone got any suggestions? Icon_minitime6th April 2010, 11:54 pm

Tau are a very difficult army to play currently and they will remain that way until a new dex drops. I also have an inherited tau army sitting in boxes, and I break them out every great once in a while. I'm not sure what your lists looks like that you are currently fielding, but I still think the best thing in the tau armory is their suits. Using them in a deep striking manner with fusion guns and flamers have been moderately effective for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Anyone got any suggestions?   Anyone got any suggestions? Icon_minitime7th April 2010, 12:09 am

I would personally try something like this at 1850

Heavy Support: Broadside Battlesuit (2#, 150 pts)
1 Broadside Battlesuit @ 150 pts ((C:TE, pg. 40); Acute Senses; Unit Type: Infantry; Twin linked Railgun; Broadside Battlesuit; Smart Missile System; Target Lock)
1 Broadside Battlesuit ((C:TE, pg. 40); Acute Senses; Unit Type: Infantry; Twin linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Target Lock)

Heavy Support: Broadside Battlesuit (2#, 150 pts)
1 Broadside Battlesuit @ 150 pts ((C:TE, pg. 40); Acute Senses; Unit Type: Infantry; Twin linked Railgun; Broadside Battlesuit; Smart Missile System; Target Lock)
1 Broadside Battlesuit ((C:TE, pg. 40); Acute Senses; Unit Type: Infantry; Twin linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Target Lock)

HQ: Commander Shas'el (5#, 229 pts)
1 Commander Shas'el @ 229 pts ((C:TE, pg. 32); Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Independent Character; Unit Type: Jump Infantry (Jet Packs); Bonding Knife; Failsafe Detonator; Fusion Blaster; Hard-wired Drone Controller; Hard-wired Target Lock; Crisis Bodyguard; Crisis Bodyguard; Shield Drone; Shield Drone; Twin Linked Flamer)
1 Crisis Bodyguard (Fusion Blaster; Twin Linked Flamer)
1 Shield Drone (Shield Generator)

HQ: Commander Shas'el (5#, 214 pts)
1 Commander Shas'el @ 214 pts ((C:TE, pg. 32); Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Independent Character; Unit Type: Jump Infantry (Jet Packs); Bonding Knife; Fusion Blaster; Hard-wired Drone Controller; Hard-wired Target Lock; Crisis Bodyguard; Crisis Bodyguard; Shield Drone; Shield Drone; Twin Linked Flamer)

Elite: Stealthsuits (3#, 92 pts)
3 Stealthsuits @ 92 pts ((C:TE, pg. 35); Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Infiltrate; Stealth Armour; Unit Type: Jump Infantry (Jet Packs); Burst Cannon x2; Fusion Blaster x1)

3 Stealthsuits @ 92 pts ((C:TE, pg. 35); Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Infiltrate; Stealth Armour; Unit Type: Jump Infantry (Jet Packs); Burst Cannon x2; Fusion Blaster x1)

Fast Attack: Pathfinder (9#, 152 pts)
6 Pathfinder @ 152 pts ((C:TE, pg. 38); Scouts; Unit Type: Infantry; Markerlight x6; Pulse Carbine x6)
1 Devilfish ((C:TE, pg. 36); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank, Skimmer); Burst Cannon; Gun Drones; Transport Capacity: 12 models; Transport; Marker Beacon; Landing Gear)
2 Gun Drones (Twin Linked Pulse Carbines)

Fast Attack: Pathfinder (9#, 152 pts)
6 Pathfinder @ 152 pts ((C:TE, pg. 38); Scouts; Unit Type: Infantry; Markerlight x6; Pulse Carbine x6)
1 Devilfish ((C:TE, pg. 36); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank, Skimmer); Burst Cannon; Gun Drones; Transport Capacity: 12 models; Transport; Marker Beacon; Landing Gear)
2 Gun Drones (Twin Linked Pulse Carbines)

Troops: Fire Warrior (12#, 135 pts)
11 Fire Warrior @ 135 pts ((C:TE, pg. 36); Unit Type: Infantry; Add Shas'ui; Pulse Carbine x2; Pulse Rifle x9)
1 Shas'ui (Bonding Knife; Pulse Rifle x1)

Troops: Fire Warrior (12#, 135 pts)
11 Fire Warrior @ 135 pts ((C:TE, pg. 36); Unit Type: Infantry; Add Shas'ui; Pulse Carbine x2; Pulse Rifle x9)
1 Shas'ui (Bonding Knife; Pulse Rifle x1)

Troops: Kroot Carnivore Squad (10#, 91 pts)
9 Kroot Carnivore Squad @ 91 pts ((C:TE, pg. 37); Infiltrate; Unit Type: Infantry; Add Kroot Shaper; Kroot Rifle x9)
1 Kroot Shaper (Kroot Rifle)

Troops: Kroot Carnivore Squad (10#, 91 pts)
9 Kroot Carnivore Squad @ 91 pts ((C:TE, pg. 37); Infiltrate; Unit Type: Infantry; Add Kroot Shaper; Kroot Rifle x9)
1 Kroot Shaper (Kroot Rifle)

Troops: Kroot Carnivore Squad (10#, 70 pts)
10 Kroot Carnivore Squad @ 70 pts ((C:TE, pg. 37); Infiltrate; Unit Type: Infantry; Kroot Rifle x10)

Fire Warriors jack the rides from the pathfinders.
pathfinders make sure things hit when you need them to.
I might drop some kroot for a missle tank.
Kroot take and hold objectives

Fire Warriors try to fish of fury as best they can. Stay embarked until they get a chance to disembark and rapid fire in a manner htey will not be counter charged, following a preliminary strike by either deep striking suits or stealthsuits.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Anyone got any suggestions?   Anyone got any suggestions? Icon_minitime7th April 2010, 12:03 pm

That looks fairly similar to what I've created recently, except I'm taking markerlights with stealth suits instead of the second pathfinder unit. The list I have been toying with is using alot of helios(Fusion/Plasma/MT) and deathrain suits(TL Missile Pod/Targeting Array) . I've discovered, despite all the hatred for it on the internet, that helios suits are amazing. I think alot of my strife was stemming from crisis suits are BS 3. To counter this, I've assigned a unit with marker lights solely for the purpose of boasting them to 5 for 2 turns out of the first 5. They are getting 9 shots a turn At BS5, S8/S6, AP1, AP2. pretty much nothing will survive that. My only problem with taking the twin linked flamers is that not alot of people are playing horde where they would be effective enough for me. If I deepstrike a group of suits, I want to make sure they are annilating in one turn whatever they are dropping into.

I also put in some pirahnas in place of the second BS unit, to get that extra tanking smashing power (The TLMP crisis suits will be taking down most transports with six shoots at S7). That gives me room to put in 2 hammerheads with ion cannons, giving 6 shoots at ap3 a turn.

By taking the MLs on the stealhsuits, I can take 3 and deploy 36 inches away from any unit on the board, in a way where I can hit them 1st turn. Not to mention when they get up on me, it will be 12 burst cannon shots and a fusion blast.

You've given me a lot to think about there, thanks for the help!

I'll post my actual list after I finish working every thing out
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone got any suggestions?   Anyone got any suggestions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone got any suggestions?
Page 1 of 1