Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Building Decks

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cpt_Tiberius
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Cpt_Tiberius

Building Decks Empty
PostSubject: Building Decks   Building Decks Icon_minitime17th October 2010, 6:02 pm

I was wondering if any of you more experienced Magic players had any advice on building decks? I have been tinkering with deck building but I am never sure of how to put together an effective deck. Are there basic rules of thumb I should follow?

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Building Decks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building Decks   Building Decks Icon_minitime17th October 2010, 8:04 pm

Basic basics:
60 cards, 22-24 should be land depending on your deck. If you're playing a different format this changes up a bit.

No more than 4x of any card unless it's a basic land.

Advanced basics:
What kind of deck do you want?
-Protection, creature lockdown, and damage prevention? White. White also excels in clearing the entire board and then generating lots of small, cheap creatures to run over the top of your opponents.

-Board control and being able to negate/control your opponent? Blue. Counterspells and 'bounce' spells (returning creatures to their opponents hand) slow your opponent down long enough for you to play enough creatures to fly over smash them in the face. Blue also gives you access to the mill win condition where you run an opponent's library out of cards.

-Removing opponent's creatures, draining life, and discard effects? Black. Black thrives when it can remove the opponents creatures and shrink cards out of their hand to limit the opponent's responses to what you do.

-Fast creatures and direct damage? Red. The most straightforward of the core colors. Just throw enough creatures to get your opponent's life total down and then throw a big burn spell right at them to finish them off.

-Big creatures, lots of enchantments, and protection from artifacts and enemy enchantments? Green. You're going to look for cards that accelerate your mana base (creatures or enchantments that give you additional mana per turn) to put out 5/5 and larger creatures as early as turn 3 or 4. Then you'll use instants, spells, and enchantments to make them even larger and pummel your opponent with them.

Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

Building Decks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building Decks   Building Decks Icon_minitime18th October 2010, 12:26 am

With standard rules in mind, I'd say the most important thing to keep in mind is your 'Mana Curve'. Basically what this is, is the cost of your cards and how they compare to your other cards.

Ex.

You have 35 non-land cards in your deck, a bad Mana Curve would be lopsided or not smooth, like having 20 of your 35 having a converted mana cost of 6+. This leaves you with only 15 cards you can really use on turns 1-4 assuming you drop a land every turn. Instead you want your curve to be more based around the middle, generally about 3-4 Converted Cost (though this varies based on the block you're playing in).

This explains it a bit better than I can. Even though it refers to old cards, the idea remains the same.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Building Decks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building Decks   Building Decks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Building Decks
Page 1 of 1