Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GW plastic glue

Go down 
+6
Haren
jordanpoc
Blarglord
gamewizard
Dannato
bdix
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime6th February 2010, 1:21 am

Ive been using this for a couple months now, and it seems to have really saved me some money. Ive gone through 2 bottles of the stuff, and not only does it work better, but there is alot more in the bottle than average model glue. That being said, what do you guys use for glueing the metal peices? I always have a terrible time getting the peices to stick together/peices sticking to my hand/throwing peices agaisnt walls.
Back to top Go down
Dannato
Spirit Guide to Lost Souls
Dannato

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime6th February 2010, 1:40 am

I use gorilla super glue and a drying accelerant called zip kicker fpr metal models and testors pva for plastics
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime6th February 2010, 2:50 am

do you mix the two before you apply it? Im not really sure how that works
Back to top Go down
Dannato
Spirit Guide to Lost Souls
Dannato

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime6th February 2010, 6:39 pm

say you're glueing an arm to a torso you spray one with zip kicker and put super glue on the other it should dry instantly
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime7th February 2010, 4:09 am

Next time you stop in I'll show you how to use it, Blake.

Usually I use the super glue and affix the arm. While I am still holding the arm (leg, head, sword, whatever) I take the accelerator and spray it around the outside of where I just glued. That way you get the quick dry action going but your super glue is still providing the main hold.

Because supposedly the accelerator will make the hold less strong than just straight super glue.

Also you get to make sure your arm is on straight before you apply the accelerator.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
Blarglord
Blind Ratling Sniper
Blarglord

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime25th March 2010, 1:31 pm

One thing I swear by is Locktite SuperGlue Gel. Stuff is amazing. Has a quick drying time and is not runny so you wont have that issue of if it will stick or not.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime1st November 2010, 2:09 am

I figured I would update this by saying dont use the GW plastic glue on vehicles. I used it on all my pirahnas and they have evidence of being glued together. I used the testors red tube of super glue for a fourth one and it was perfect in its gluing. I now swear by the stuff and have glued together probally 100 models + with the stuff....

So I am pretty much done with GW glue. Its 6 dollars a bottle and lasts about as long as the 2 dollar tube of testors. I still think GW's glue is better than Wal Mart super glue and probally cheaper in the long run, but the Testor's stuff is best value and pretty product IMO.
Back to top Go down
jordanpoc
Necron in a clown wig
Necron in a clown wig
jordanpoc

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime1st November 2010, 2:28 am

I always bought this glue from Walmart. Its like, 4 one oz tubes for 2 dollars. Dries really quick. They're black and yellow.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime1st November 2010, 10:27 am

I went through that stuff too quick. The sides always came out of the tube and I got it all over my hands.
Back to top Go down
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought
Haren

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime1st November 2010, 2:31 pm

Gorilla Glue is the stuff! It is a tad runny but the hold it gives is second only to epoxy. I've droped my privateer press metal figs and not had anything pop off (on non pinned figs even.) Add in zipkicker and I have pieced together a box of necron warriors in about 30 mins.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime1st November 2010, 2:32 pm

bdix wrote:
I went through that stuff too quick. The sides always came out of the tube and I got it all over my hands.

At the risk of killing yet another thread:

Isn't getting it all over your hands part of the fun?
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime1st November 2010, 2:35 pm

Haren wrote:
Gorilla Glue is the stuff! It is a tad runny but the hold it gives is second only to epoxy. I've droped my privateer press metal figs and not had anything pop off (on non pinned figs even.) Add in zipkicker and I have pieced together a box of necron warriors in about 30 mins.

I had an issue with it foaming on me and spreading out all over the sides of what I was trying to glue. And that was just using a pin head sized drop of it. And the piece fell off after it dried, to add insult to injury.
Back to top Go down
Kragg
Ork Boy without teef
Ork Boy without teef
Kragg

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime1st November 2010, 2:47 pm

gamewizard wrote:
I had an issue with it foaming on me and spreading out all over the sides of what I was trying to glue. And that was just using a pin head sized drop of it. And the piece fell off after it dried, to add insult to injury.

Make sure you are using Gorilla Super Glue. Regular Gorilla Glue requires water and 3-4 hours of clamping to work plus it foams. You shouldn't have that problem with their super glue.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime1st November 2010, 5:37 pm

Kragg wrote:
gamewizard wrote:

Make sure you are using Gorilla Super Glue. Regular Gorilla Glue requires water and 3-4 hours of clamping to work plus it foams. You shouldn't have that problem with their super glue.

Ah, well the regular GG scared me off them. I just use the Super Glue that you can get in various viscosity from Hobby Lobby. As well as their bottles of blue topped accelerant. I use that to do a rapid exterior seal on whatever it is I am holding together, letting the interior be the actual super glue seal. If you use the accelerant on one side and then the glue on the other, the hold is more brittle than if it is done super glue alone. My method has worked so far and incorporates the best of both methods; super glue alone and super glue with accelerant.

Today's lesson was brought to you by the letters C, H, and G.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime1st November 2010, 5:45 pm

I picked up Gorilla Super Glue after big_d reviewed in a Hogs blogpost and I haven't gone back to Loctite since.

I find that if you use common sense with model handing you can get by with most hobby/superglues. Of note, this means don't drop your Daemon Prince day one of Patriot Games from your display board to the floor.

/sigh.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime2nd November 2010, 3:54 pm

I meant to post this earlier, but you can get two 8 fluid oz testors glue tubes + 4 appliers for 3.50 at Hobby Lobby. Its more of an economical thing for me
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime2nd November 2010, 10:13 pm

capnwoodrow wrote:
I find that if you use common sense with model handing you can get by with most hobby/superglues. /sigh.

I have a severe lack of common sense. It come of 30+ years of trying different fixatives. The smell got to me...
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime3rd November 2010, 2:43 am

gamewizard wrote:
capnwoodrow wrote:
I find that if you use common sense with model handing you can get by with most hobby/superglues. /sigh.

I have a severe lack of common sense. It come of 30+ years of trying different fixatives. The smell got to me...

The GREAT irony in this is that as I was reading this, I cut myself with an exacto knife to the bone. There goes my common sense. THANKS CHRIS!
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime3rd November 2010, 2:48 am

Also, if I had a dollar for every time I've cut myself with an exacto knife in the last month, I'd have 5 dollars.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime3rd November 2010, 11:07 am

bdix wrote:
Also, if I had a dollar for every time I've cut myself with an exacto knife in the last month, I'd have 5 dollars.

I'd be a trillionaire.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime3rd November 2010, 11:42 am

gamewizard wrote:
bdix wrote:

I'd be a trillionaire.

See, I don't mean nicks. I mean deep wounds that take several days, possibly weeks, to heal
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime3rd November 2010, 2:35 pm

bdix wrote:
gamewizard wrote:
bdix wrote:

I'd be a trillionaire.

See, I don't mean nicks. I mean deep wounds that take several days, possibly weeks, to heal

Ah, ok. Then if that's the criteria, I'd be a kabillionaire
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime3rd November 2010, 3:07 pm

we need to open a warhammer-related infirmary out of the back of CHG
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime11th November 2010, 1:21 pm

Where can I get some accelerant? I am having quite the time gluing these incubi
Back to top Go down
sirhelnor
Red Space Marine Plasma Donor
Red Space Marine Plasma Donor
sirhelnor

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime11th November 2010, 2:18 pm

bdix wrote:
Where can I get some accelerant? I am having quite the time gluing these incubi

they've got a spray accelerant at the campus bookstore. i'm not sure on the price, but they recently started carrying it when they expanded their glue offerings
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GW plastic glue Empty
PostSubject: Re: GW plastic glue   GW plastic glue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GW plastic glue
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next