Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modular 3D in door terrain

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
crossbonesx11
Chaos Marine covered in styrofoam spiky bits
crossbonesx11

Modular 3D in door terrain Empty
PostSubject: Modular 3D in door terrain   Modular 3D in door terrain Icon_minitime20th December 2009, 12:33 am

trying to find any excuse to buy these: http://www.dwarvenforge.com/store/home.php?cat=270 . I tell myself I can play WiAs, Necromunda, Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Space Hulk and Star Wars games on them, but I do not get to play any of that enough to justify buying them. At this point though I think I am going to. I could always bring them up to castlehouse and we could play something on them. What do you guys think of them?
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Modular 3D in door terrain   Modular 3D in door terrain Icon_minitime20th December 2009, 12:56 am

I have a couple of grand worth of them, both Fantasy and Sci-Fi.

Next time you are in and have time just remind me and I'll show you what I have.

They look great but the problem I have with them is you have to actually "build" the rooms. The sets come in sectional pieces which allow you to build each room piece by piece. Which is good of you are limited on storage space.

That is also the problem with them; it takes quite a long time to build any area that is worth playing with.

I also have my own molds that I bought from a company called Hirst Arts to make both fantasy and sci-fi terrain pieces. I can actually build a whole room and not have to build it up or break it down after each use. Also I can paint the pieces how I want them.

If you ever want to cast your own, let me show you how and as long as you supplied the plaster and the time to cast the pieces I could probably lend the molds to you as long as they stayed at the shop.

Plaster is about a dollar a pound and it comes in either blue or tan. You can use either the company's special plaster and have it drop shipped to the shop (it comes from Conway) or you can buy dental plaster locally of about 1500 strength. I have used both dental plaster and their special plaster. I recommend the special plaster called Merlin's; I believe.

THis all may be too much info but I just wanted you to know there are choices besides Dwarven Forge.

If you like it, I can check my suppliers and see if I can get DF stuff thru them; also there are still two sets of Sci-Fi at the shop. I can make a deal with you on them if you are interested.

I have made several houses that several different people have admired and bought from me. I also have sold a couple of dungeon sets that I made.

Let me show you what I have, Cross and you can go from there.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Modular 3D in door terrain   Modular 3D in door terrain Icon_minitime21st December 2009, 2:24 pm

Gamewizard's criticisms are valid, but having played in an extended Warhammer Fantasy campaign where the gamemaster used Dwarven Forge terrain for the dungeons, I have to say that it looks awesome, and makes for some very nice gaming.

We gamed at his house and he set up the terrain ahead of time, then covered it with a sheet, pulling back the sheet as we explored. It worked out quite well.

Unlike the DiY Hirst Arts stuff, Dwarven Forge comes out of the box looking awesome. The biggest problem for me is simply the expense. My old gamemaster's marriage actually got a little rocky for a time partly due to the amount he spent on building his collection!

At Gamewizard: there might still be a few of the older sets in the supply chain, but Dwarven Forge went to a direct only model a few years ago now.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Modular 3D in door terrain   Modular 3D in door terrain Icon_minitime21st December 2009, 8:19 pm

Once again, your knowledge surpasses mine; Fulminata. Modular 3D in door terrain Lol
Back to top Go down
crossbonesx11
crossbonesx11

PostSubject: Re: Modular 3D in door terrain   Modular 3D in door terrain Icon_minitime26th December 2009, 11:55 pm

Yeah I would LOVE to see your stuff. Sorry for such a late reply (my neighbors internet has been down =/ ) and I know I have not been in, in a while I work in retail and this time of year is HELL. I would love to work on molding my own I will have to come up and make a day out of it when I can. Yeah I would be interested in the SciFi sets if you wanted to make me a deal on them. Which sets do you have at the store?

Also do you have any AT-43 or Infinity Minis at your store? If the internet stays up awhile I will try to get some new pics up.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Modular 3D in door terrain   Modular 3D in door terrain Icon_minitime27th December 2009, 1:31 am

Negative on the AT43 or Infinity minis in the store, Cross. Sorry.

I believe the SciFi sets are the basic sets, I would have to look closer at them. I could offer a 20% discount to you for them; if you are interested in them. Come on up when you can and take a look. I'll set them aside for you tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Modular 3D in door terrain   Modular 3D in door terrain Icon_minitime27th December 2009, 1:35 am

By the way, the special plaster for the Hirst Arts molds is called Merlin's Magic.

I talked to someone in the store this past week and he has cast some pieces for Descent using plaster of paris, which I guess can be used if there is no danger of anyone getting too rough with the piece you make.
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Modular 3D in door terrain   Modular 3D in door terrain Icon_minitime5th February 2010, 5:40 pm

I remember special ordering some of that plaster back when I was casting some pieces several years ago. When I cast up some pieces here more recently I used plaster of paris and it is really inferior. I had lots of problems with bubbles and the pieces are a lot more brittle. If your pieces are going to see much use it is well worth ordering up the special plaster.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Modular 3D in door terrain   Modular 3D in door terrain Icon_minitime5th February 2010, 6:35 pm

I agree; and dental plaster is also inferior. I got way less bubbles with Merlin's Magic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modular 3D in door terrain   Modular 3D in door terrain Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modular 3D in door terrain
Page 1 of 1