Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tournament fundraiser

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gara101
Gimp Suit Wearing Dark Eldar
gara101

Tournament fundraiser  Empty
PostSubject: Tournament fundraiser    Tournament fundraiser  Icon_minitime30th January 2013, 11:26 pm

I was looking at how the bugeater gt is a school fundraiser and was wondering how difficult would it be to set up and organize and would there be a profit big enough for a fundraiser and if it was held at bentonville high school would people show up
Back to top Go down
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Tournament fundraiser    Tournament fundraiser  Icon_minitime31st January 2013, 12:42 am

A couple points:
1.Tim (the guy who puts it on) does immense amounts of work to make it happen.
2. Being a teacher, he sets this stuff up and I'm assuming forces his kids to work it like a slave force
3. The school it is at is on par with a college campus with its facilities. Bentonville is nice too, so this one is not so much.
4. I'm sure there are a lot of legal issues, political issues, and explaining of the hobby that goes into getting the school district to let you do it.
5. Funding. Tim somehow talks people into donating most of the prize support. Find someone with a silver tongue.

Long story short, it would be a mountain of work. Putting on a shop tournement is one thing, a GT caliber tournament is another. Just ask Brian at TSE!
Back to top Go down
gara101
gara101

PostSubject: Re: Tournament fundraiser    Tournament fundraiser  Icon_minitime31st January 2013, 9:30 am

Do u think it would be possible people won't be an issue to run it but cause there is alot of people in the band that would help run it my main concern after getting it approved would be having enough people showing up
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Tournament fundraiser    Tournament fundraiser  Icon_minitime31st January 2013, 1:32 pm

My main concern would be terrain and tables.
Back to top Go down
gara101
gara101

PostSubject: Re: Tournament fundraiser    Tournament fundraiser  Icon_minitime31st January 2013, 6:51 pm

Very true terrain and tables are important
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Tournament fundraiser    Tournament fundraiser  Icon_minitime31st January 2013, 7:30 pm

Accommodations for out of towners, if you plan on running a big event. Prize support versus entry fee. You don't want to eat any costs in a fund raiser.
Back to top Go down
gara101
gara101

PostSubject: Re: Tournament fundraiser    Tournament fundraiser  Icon_minitime31st January 2013, 7:53 pm

Ya im going to stop by tse to talk to him aboutlike all thedetails cause i still need to get the school to approve it i just need alot of the details to show it will work
Back to top Go down
gara101
gara101

PostSubject: Re: Tournament fundraiser    Tournament fundraiser  Icon_minitime31st January 2013, 7:55 pm

One more thing would be in a tournamemt does it have to be painted cause ik people who would play but dont have them painted but just make an award for painting
Back to top Go down
Sweet E
Mordheim Master Bat(tl)er
Sweet E

PostSubject: Re: Tournament fundraiser    Tournament fundraiser  Icon_minitime31st January 2013, 8:01 pm

Not to be critical, cause I love your spirit, but you need to go to some GT's before you pitch running one. They are an immense amount of work and a fair bit of money.

I think bdix is giving some good advice in suggesting that you talk to Brian from TSE. He's ran GT's and could give you good advice.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Tournament fundraiser    Tournament fundraiser  Icon_minitime31st January 2013, 9:43 pm

I think it would be a practical start to run a small local 10-16 man tournament. Get a feel for what it takes to manage it on a small scale. Do a couple of those, break even on costs, then start putting together what it takes to make it larger. Say 20-30 man tournament- what Bugeater started at its first year. If you can get that to work successfully, you take it up to the next level. There is a certain progression to starting up a GT. Brian can tell you, he didn't start out with the numbers he got this year.
Back to top Go down
gara101
gara101

PostSubject: Re: Tournament fundraiser    Tournament fundraiser  Icon_minitime2nd February 2013, 12:46 am

Im going to stop by tse tommarow and try and talk with him about all this
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tournament fundraiser    Tournament fundraiser  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tournament fundraiser
Page 1 of 1