Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help with Fluff vs Modeling

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
crossbonesx11
Chaos Marine covered in styrofoam spiky bits
crossbonesx11

Help with Fluff vs Modeling Empty
PostSubject: Help with Fluff vs Modeling   Help with Fluff vs Modeling Icon_minitime12th December 2011, 11:03 pm

Alright I have this modeling idea in my head. It starts with the Contemptor Dread. Then escalates to (at least) SIX Contemptor Dreads. From there I decide I want it to have a Steampunk and Knight theme. I then decided for it to be an Iron Hands (I have a "modern" terminatoresque, cold Iron Hands army) successor chapter. So I got to really nitpicking (because I really want to put my heart in this) and it is hard for me to justify so many Contemptors in a successor chapter. Now I am kind of leaning towards just doing them as Irons Hands, but I am wanting to use a lot of brass (throwing around the idea of brass bionics). Thought about maybe doing them as Iron Fists or Iron Knights, because I like the visuals, but come back to justifying the Contemptors. I am going to use a lot of bionics, Mechanicus bits, Steam Knight heads and backpacks from Maxmini, Steampunk weapons from Maxmini and probably some Empire bits. I just keeping going around and around and around and around in circles. Do I want to just build them as a succesor Chapter that has no business having such glorious war relics or build them as Iron Hands and have them look unlinke any "established" Iron Hands?

Here is a pic of a guy I just threw together quickly with bits I had:

Help with Fluff vs Modeling 52c950bc

Oh and in these situations I am the guy that says "Just do want makes you happy," so give me some honest opinions because I am really up in the air. Well thanks for listening!
Back to top Go down
ash112
Necron Scarab with rusty hinges
ash112

PostSubject: Re: Help with Fluff vs Modeling   Help with Fluff vs Modeling Icon_minitime13th December 2011, 11:27 pm

well sir, if you check out wiki it said that the remaining iron hand are know as "X" legions and are divided into five companies all having mobles fortresses. it also states that they are always competeing with one another. that might can be the base that you could build on. giving them a different look. it also states that much of their war gear was lost in the hersy revolt. this could account for the use of all the brass and such. just a thought, good luck with it.
Back to top Go down
crossbonesx11
crossbonesx11

PostSubject: Re: Help with Fluff vs Modeling   Help with Fluff vs Modeling Icon_minitime15th December 2011, 3:32 pm

After some encouragement on another forum and tons of research this the idea I playing with:

The 'Knights Mechanicus' or 'Knights of Mars' (suggestions?), a remnant force of Imperial Fists that stayed when Sigismund chose to evacuate Mars during the Heresy. A fleet based force, scouring Imperium in efforts to exterminate all Dark Mechanicus cults. Until recently, they made their hunt without being noticed by the Inquisiton and other brother Astartes. Shedding the their Fists heraldry and choosing not to replace it, they are now under investigation by the Inquisition in hopes to receive Chapter status and don a new heraldry. Being so closely affiliated with the Mechanicus they have been able to maintain ancient armors and battle relics, yet not able to replenish their losses they have turned to bionics to lengthen their eternal fight.

EDIT :: playing around with painter on my phone.

Help with Fluff vs Modeling E1bdb3c4

Last edited by crossbonesx11 on 15th December 2011, 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Help with Fluff vs Modeling   Help with Fluff vs Modeling Icon_minitime15th December 2011, 3:44 pm

Sounds cool to me. I think the models could look really sharp painted up right. I am digging the conversion work you did on the model up top - the six shooter/bolter/assault cannon gun looks cool.

A good source of other barrel types that are more round/steam-punkish would be ork shootas/sluggas. Cutting the ends off of some of those guns might fit the bill. They are also really plentiful since you get tons of shootas/sluggas for orks.
Back to top Go down
crossbonesx11
crossbonesx11

PostSubject: Re: Help with Fluff vs Modeling   Help with Fluff vs Modeling Icon_minitime15th December 2011, 7:44 pm

Another prototype I just threw together when I got home from work.

Help with Fluff vs Modeling 34219133
Back to top Go down
crossbonesx11
crossbonesx11

PostSubject: Re: Help with Fluff vs Modeling   Help with Fluff vs Modeling Icon_minitime16th December 2011, 11:11 pm

I just want to say thanks again to everyone for the opinions and suggestion! I just ordered a Contemptor body, Contemptor Plasma Cannon, Contemptor Conversion Beamer and MotF Valthex of eBay; also, ordered Steam Knight heads, Gothic Backpacks and Steampunk weapons from Maxmini; and last but not least, a Finecast MotF w/Servitors from my LGS. Pair that with my tons of Iron Hands upgrade bits and come January I will be ready to get started!

Plans are:
Master of the Forge in Servo-Harness w/4 Servitors
Master of the Forge w/Conversion Beamer
Contemptor Dread w/2x Twin-Linked Autocannons
Relic Contemptor Dread w/Plasma Cannon
Relic Contemptor Dread w/Heavy Conversion Beamer
Tac Squad w/Bionics

Hoping to do up some test schemes within a few days.
Back to top Go down
crossbonesx11
crossbonesx11

PostSubject: Re: Help with Fluff vs Modeling   Help with Fluff vs Modeling Icon_minitime20th December 2011, 8:44 pm

Had the opportunity to do some test schemes, what do you think? Bare with the bad pics.

Help with Fluff vs Modeling 1b0c4615

Help with Fluff vs Modeling Aaae7d4a

Help with Fluff vs Modeling 6fcc0192

Help with Fluff vs Modeling 57042d16
Back to top Go down
crossbonesx11
crossbonesx11

PostSubject: Re: Help with Fluff vs Modeling   Help with Fluff vs Modeling Icon_minitime16th January 2012, 5:44 pm

Here a some pics of the project so far:

Techmarine w/PW and PP

Help with Fluff vs Modeling Bc493019

Apothecary (Found out I hate painting white)

Help with Fluff vs Modeling 509651af

Vet w/PW and BP

Help with Fluff vs Modeling 15f315fd

Help with Fluff vs Modeling 2d885f01

Help with Fluff vs Modeling 9fc0b3a9

Standard Bearer (Minus the backpack and back banner)

Help with Fluff vs Modeling F0c3dbbd

Vet Sgt w/PW

Help with Fluff vs Modeling D2daa1b2

Champion

Help with Fluff vs Modeling Ccd04dd0
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with Fluff vs Modeling   Help with Fluff vs Modeling Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help with Fluff vs Modeling
Page 1 of 1