Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modeling Deathwatch

Go down 
+4
Wildeyedjester
gamewizard
PhantomPhoenix
crossbonesx11
8 posters
AuthorMessage
crossbonesx11
Chaos Marine covered in styrofoam spiky bits
crossbonesx11

Modeling Deathwatch Empty
PostSubject: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime19th March 2011, 9:50 pm

So I want to build a Deathwatch Kill Team, the chapters I am planning are: Raven Guard, Iron Hands, Space Wolves, Red Scorpions, Black Templars, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Ultramarines, Salamanders, and White Scars. I am wondering how many pieces per figure of a specific kit would be too many? If I make a Space Wolf using all SWs parts except the DW shoulder pad and use the same idea for the the rest of the squad, will it look strange to have all the marines look so different? Will the color scheme tie them all together well enough? Feel free to post any pics you have for examples of what I am talking about.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime20th March 2011, 2:21 am

Very little of their origin chapters, from what I've learned from the Deathwatch RPG book, when around others in their unit they show little of their former selves, but when they get on their own or in extreme peril a bit of their geneseed bred instincts come forth. I would say space wolf head, one of the unobtrusive shoulder pads, and legs. For BA one of the nice chests and blonde 'Cesar' heads would be enough. That sort of thing... As far as color I believe all black except their shoulders (left is DW, right is origin chapter iirc) is the canon color scheme, but as long as the main models all share the same color I don't think black would be a requirement.

As an aside: ditch the ultrasmurf and grab yourself a Storm Warden Razz
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime20th March 2011, 1:56 pm

Here is an "official" color scheme. Black IS a requirement for the main color of the armor. But is is YOUR Deathwatch. Color them as you will, I would recommend staying dark if you don't want black. Maybe a dark red would be cool.

Blacked out armour with silver left arm. Right shoulder as per chapter of origin.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
crossbonesx11
crossbonesx11

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime20th March 2011, 6:04 pm

Yeah that is the scheme I would be painting them, what I am asking is, if for a SW in the Deathwatch would look funny to use all parts from the Space Wolves Pack kit with the DW shoulder pad and also for a Blood Angel to use all parts from the Blood Angels kit with the DW pad would they look to contrasting or do you think the DW paint scheme (as above) will tie them together enough so they do not look TOO miss matched.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime20th March 2011, 11:46 pm

Deathwatch came out long before they had all these nice bits for the new minis. At least before they were commercially available to the extent they are now. I believe they intended for all the minis to look the same regarding bits, but with the new choices it would be cool to have all the different bits but painted the same color.

I was waiting for Capn or Jester or one of the more knowledgeable people to answer your questions. If they had, I wouldn't have jumped in being as how I usually just lurk these days.

I know that in one of the Caiphas Cain books Cain could tell that one of the DW marines was a Space Wolf. So adding the different bits with the same color wouldn't be out, I would think.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime21st March 2011, 7:11 am

crossbonesx11 wrote:
Yeah that is the scheme I would be painting them, what I am asking is, if for a SW in the Deathwatch would look funny to use all parts from the Space Wolves Pack kit with the DW shoulder pad and also for a Blood Angel to use all parts from the Blood Angels kit with the DW pad would they look to contrasting or do you think the DW paint scheme (as above) will tie them together enough so they do not look TOO miss matched.

I think bits from their own chapter would be very cool. Paint scheme would tie them together for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
Cpt_Tiberius
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Cpt_Tiberius

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime21st March 2011, 8:09 am

I think it would be fine to use the chapter specific parts. The armor they wear is the same armor they were issued when they became marines. They ritualistically paint it black upon entering service to the Deathwatch, but it would still have all the same bitz on it.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime21st March 2011, 12:10 pm

I agree that using bits from their specific chapters would look really good. All I was saying is don't use only special bits + deathwatch shoulder. I think it might make it all seem a bit noisy.
Back to top Go down
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime21st March 2011, 2:01 pm

I don't think it would look out of place and it would also add individuality to all the members. Go for it.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime21st March 2011, 6:52 pm

On the cover of the Deathwatch RPG book I noticed that not only was the left shoulder pad silver, the whole arm is silver as well. That might be of some interest as well.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime22nd March 2011, 5:19 pm

crossbonesx11 wrote:

In the Deathwatch novel that I read, I understood that they wore the black armor with one shoulder pad being DW and the other shoulder pad the chapter they came from. So bits from the Blood Angels box on the Blood Angel, Space Wolf bits on the SW, and so on, wouldn't look out of place to me. It would add more character to the individual models.
Back to top Go down
crossbonesx11
crossbonesx11

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime22nd March 2011, 11:18 pm

Opinions on pelts on wolves, robes on angels and/or tabards on Templars?
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime23rd March 2011, 12:30 am

Personally I'd say yes to pelts and no to robes/tabards...
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime24th March 2011, 12:53 pm

crossbonesx11 wrote:
Opinions on pelts on wolves, robes on angels and/or tabards on Templars?

Again, using the DW RPG book (which is fully sanctioned and supported by GW) yes to both pelts and tabards. In the RPG book those are special items which can grant various bonuses or abilities to the Marine.

For Black Templars it is on page 169 of the core book. They can choose one out of three types of tabard.

Ornamental: Their tabard adds +2 to Fellowship tests.

Deathwatch / Squad Heraldry: The Kill Team restores 1 bonus Cohesion for every Primary Objective achieved.

Chapter Heraldry: Add 1 to the character's effective Rank for determining Black Templar Solo Ability effectiveness, but subtract 1 from Squad Base cohesion.

For Space Wolves (page 170)

Wolf Pelt: Adds +2 to Intimidate checks

In summary; all of the bits for the different chapters are represented in the Deathwatch RPG book. Each bit does different things. So none of the bits are out if you want them on the mini for flavor purposes.

Again, this is all according to the Deathwatch RPG book. I am sure there are those who would argue that the table top game and the RPG are two totally different games (and they are) and the fluff from each are totally different from each other (they are not different at all).

I cannot get one of the DW RPG books into my store at the moment because of its popularity among both the RPG players AND the table top players. Rites of Battle presents rules on making your own chapter; I believe that is what makes it popular among the table top players. As well as the fluff included.
Back to top Go down
crossbonesx11
crossbonesx11

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime25th March 2011, 2:52 pm

Just bought the Deathwatch core book yesterday and have been looking it over this morning, with the whole section and rules on chapter trappings I feel it 100% supports my desire to use specific kits on each guy! Thanks for the help everyone and as soon as track down some magnet for magnetizing arms you start seeing deathwatch brothers!

PS Any advice on where to get and what magnets to use for magnetizing arms and back/jump packs?
Back to top Go down
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought
Haren

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime25th March 2011, 3:49 pm

If your FLGS doesn't have any i'd go with amazingmagnets.com and stick with the 1/8th disc magnets. 1/16 is a tad too small to hold arms and backpacks on.
Back to top Go down
crossbonesx11
crossbonesx11

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime25th March 2011, 8:58 pm

Do you put a magnet in the torso and the arm, or do you put a pin in the arm?
Back to top Go down
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought
Haren

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime25th March 2011, 9:08 pm

The way I did it was Drill the holes in the arm and the torso where the arm would be glued then glue them in. I may do a detailed post when I get home later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Deathwatch   Modeling Deathwatch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modeling Deathwatch
Page 1 of 1