Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Skaven start

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

Skaven start Empty
PostSubject: Skaven start   Skaven start Icon_minitime18th May 2011, 7:47 pm

So dad accepted my deal, and is going to do skaven and i will be doing an army too.
Anyway we were wondering what some good starting units were
Clanrats, Stormvermin, etc...
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Skaven start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skaven start   Skaven start Icon_minitime18th May 2011, 8:27 pm

Two island of blood boxes.
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Skaven start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skaven start   Skaven start Icon_minitime18th May 2011, 9:05 pm

capnwoodrow wrote:
Two island of blood boxes.

This ends up being a great deal. You get 80 clan rats, 4 rat ogres, two mortars, two flame cannons, and a host of characters.

You also get a gob of high elves.

Clan rats are the core of any skaven army. I run my army with three units of Clan Rats, a big unit of Plague Monks, a Screaming Bell, Plague Furnace, 2x Plague Claw Catapults, 2x Gutter Runners, and a few of the weapons teams. I have a lot of fun with it.

Last edited by big_d on 18th May 2011, 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Skaven start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skaven start   Skaven start Icon_minitime18th May 2011, 9:06 pm

Seriously, It's a ton of stuff and you can use all of it.

If you decide not to use the R-ogres then they make great unit fillers.
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

Skaven start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skaven start   Skaven start Icon_minitime18th May 2011, 9:54 pm

Cool, we will probably do that
What about Abominations, Warp lightning cannons, plagueclaw catapaults, and doomwheels
We were just looking at these to break the enemies battlelines
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

Skaven start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skaven start   Skaven start Icon_minitime18th May 2011, 10:48 pm

Regardless of what you lead your army with, you need clanrats. I prefer units of at least 25 with hand weapon/shield to get that parry save. Not much, but it helps. Keep in mind that most of the Skaven units will not win combat by themselves. So again, depending on how you lead your army it will effect troop choices.
Personally, I think Stormvermin are just expensive clanrats. However, if you lead with a warlord, you may want to take a unit or two.
My favorite is the grey seer on the bell. The bell makes the seer a 10 wound character with a 4+ ward save that your opponent has to kill both if they want any points for this monstrosity. And unless they are using all cav or monstrous infantry, always take the Curse of the Horned One. Besides all that, the new model is awesome!
Abomination, yes. You will want at least one of those regardless who is leading your rats into battle.
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Skaven start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skaven start   Skaven start Icon_minitime18th May 2011, 10:50 pm

The abomination and warp lightning cannon are usually seen as the 'best' choice, but any of them can work. It is just what you want your army to do. I came in 11th at the Shiloh Slaughter and I didn't run an abomination or warp lightning cannon.

I love my Plague Claw catapaults for tearing down knights and dwarves, and my doomwheel crazily drives all over the field so it is a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

Skaven start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skaven start   Skaven start Icon_minitime18th May 2011, 11:03 pm

big_d wrote:
The abomination and warp lightning cannon are usually seen as the 'best' choice, but any of them can work. It is just what you want your army to do. I came in 11th at the Shiloh Slaughter and I didn't run an abomination or warp lightning cannon.

I love my Plague Claw catapaults for tearing down knights and dwarves, and my doomwheel crazily drives all over the field so it is a lot of fun.

Would have come in first if you took 6 abominations!
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

Skaven start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skaven start   Skaven start Icon_minitime19th May 2011, 6:31 pm

We got the book, the island of blood, and a plagueclaw catapault/Warp lightning cannon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Skaven start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skaven start   Skaven start Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skaven start
Page 1 of 1