Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What got you in to wargaming?

Go down 
+7
Fulminata
Wildeyedjester
capnwoodrow
Fletch
big_d
Monkey
Turducken
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Turducken
Tyranid Warrior with Arthritis
Tyranid Warrior with Arthritis
Turducken

What got you in to wargaming? Empty
PostSubject: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime31st July 2009, 11:11 am

Simple enough question.

For me, it was when I saw the MWG youtube channel. Shortly after, I found this blog. That really pushed it over the edge.

I wasn't all that excited about the gaming portion, it was the painting and modeling.

I'm a percussionist and a juggler, and I want to be a surgeon, so painting is a great way to improve manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination.

What about you guys?
Back to top Go down
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Monkey

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime31st July 2009, 11:21 am

I began the slaughter of tiny plastic men because it was what my friends were doing. It was a bit sheep-like, I know, but Warhammer also appealed to my love for strategy games. In truth, you could say that it evolved out of the incredible number of board games my buddies and I played. It was a somewhat logical evolution.

I got out of it for quite a few years, but when WildEyed and Big d got back into it, I gladly joined them. My interest in the game has evolved. I still enjoy playing, but now I really like painting.

Later,

Monkey
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime31st July 2009, 1:08 pm

I got into wargaming back in 99 when I started hanging out with Monkey and WildEyedJester playing D&D.

They both already had been playing for a few years and we were using miniatures out of the bitz box to play D&D with but we didn't have any undead. I went and bought a box of skeletons 'just to use for roleplaying' and it was all down hill for me from there.

Funny thing is about two years ago history repeated itself. We had been out of wargaming for five or six years and had been playing RPGs. Jester picked up Dark Heresy and we were having a blast with it. We dug models out of the bitz box and he painted them up.

Well, I started digging around in the stuff that I had left and I found a mess of Chaos Space Marines. I decided to paint them up 'just to use for roleplaying' and the circle started again.
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime31st July 2009, 3:06 pm

I was a Mtg player and saw some people playing mechwarrior and yeah 10 years later. no more MTG and too much warhammer.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime31st July 2009, 3:09 pm

About six or seven years ago I picked up a big fluff book that GW released about the world of Warhammer Fantasy. I had no clue there was an actual game. As a long time pen and paper gamer, I was hooked (world building gets me hot).

I found a HobbyTown in Tupelo, MS. when I was on vacation and started browsing the shelves. I think I bought a box of skaven right then. It was all downhill from there...
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime31st July 2009, 3:44 pm

I started gaming with warhammer in 1994. I was but a young pup then of 16 years age......

I had actually been a RPG gamer before that time, learning from an uncle around the age of 12. I always had looked for hobby shops to pick up supplements, books and dice whenever I had the opportunity. When I got wheels at the age of 16, me and a buddy, Juice, headed into Fort Smith to a Hobby Store I had never been to - Mystic Domain. We got there and I saw the walls covered with all these cool model kits.

I asked about them and the store owner explained that you painted the minis, and built your army and then played against the other guy. I knew I had to have the game. Initially I chose Fantasy because I had tried painting a few minis up for D&D at the time and it took a long while for me to scround the 50.00 for the boxed game. It came with goblins, and high elfs. It also had cardboard standups of a bolt thrower, dude on a gryphon, and paunch the grim on his chariot. We took it home, read the rules and played our first game on the top of a pool table.

What got you in to wargaming? 4th_wfb_22

From there I gradually branched out into 40k, but it wasn't the 40k you see today. 2nd edition 40k was a crazy thing where terminators had a 3+ save on 2d6. Guns had modifiers associated with them so an autocannon might subtract 4 from that roll. To kill a tank all guns had values and different dice that the rolled to breach the armor. And you had a giant box of cards where you selected your wargear. Add in overwatch, and the game was a verrrry different creature.

I started playing with Monkey when I was in my last year of high school and through college during 3rd edition 40k.

Over the years I have built nearly every fantasy army with the exceptions of chaos daemons, ogres, and chaos. I have always improved with each painted army, so my old way of doing things was to play an army and then sell it to finance my next army. Ebay has always been kind to me. I had put everything away when I got married, until a few years back when I met Will. He was over at the house one day and asked what these weird minis with funny hats were. Of course, he had found my chaos dwarfs. I ran a quick game for him, and ever since we have fed each other on either Fantasy or 40k. One of us keeps the other building things.

Every once in a while we have gone on hiatus for a while, but we always end up coming back. The breaks in gaming have always come when we haven't had fresh people to play and game against. So, one of the goals with the forum and blog is to help keep us interested and building. I love 40k (and Fantasy too - just don't tell anyone), so I really want to keep in the game for the long haul.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime31st July 2009, 4:00 pm

Define "Wargaming." I stated with hex and counter wargames back in the early eighties. I'd wanted to get into miniatures since the days of Rogue Trader, but they were always too much for my budget until I moved to California in 2000. I had friends out there who played Fantasy, and I talked them into giving 40K a try as well, since the fluff of that game interested me more.

Since then I've also played Warmachine, AT-43 and Flames of War. My favorite is still Flames of War, but I'm also really liking 5th edition 40K so far.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Brutal
Blind Ratling Sniper

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime1st August 2009, 2:28 am

heh an old outrider friend of mine got me playing warhammer long ago which led to playing just about everything under the sun.
Back to top Go down
deletethisuser
Blind Ratling Sniper
deletethisuser

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime1st August 2009, 7:24 pm

So why oh why did I end up gaming? I used to play a lot of pen and paper RPGs in the 90s, and I've always had a love for Fantasy literature, so knowing that I will move I thought that "playing war games could make me new friends!". And it is as simple as that, I got into it because I think it will be a good way to make friends after moving:) I never knew that I would end up liking painting and all that as much as I do. Though I do hate painting yellow, which is *REALLY* ironic for an Imperial Fists player...

Flekkzo
Back to top Go down
http://flekkzo.blogspot.com
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime1st August 2009, 8:12 pm

Fletch wrote:
I was a Mtg player and saw some people playing mechwarrior and yeah 10 years later. no more MTG and too much warhammer.

eh? Too much Warhammer...Blasphemy!!!
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime1st August 2009, 8:32 pm

Back in '92 when Hastings carried Warhammer, I was looking over the minis when I was approached by Dennis Collier(Warhammerworld). Gave me his number and let me know when the couple of guys would be coming over to play and if I wanted to learn, give him a call. Played a few times and I was hooked. Back then had to go to Mystic Domain to buy most of the stuff, so once a month I made the trip until my rats had multiplied enough to constitute an army. I had to do Skaven because at the time they had just gotten their first book and was the only army not represented.
Back then special characters were ever present and I heard "Total Power, Banishment, Let's Eat!". Good times and great friends.

Picked up 40k at 3rd edition, didn't really play it at that time though. I really started playing in 4th w/Necrons, then sold that army and built my current Daemonhunters.

Over the years I have played and own something from most of the GW games. I have an army/team for these games: Epic, Bloodbowl, Necromunda and also own a copy of Warhammer Quest.
The one game that I never got to play, Man O'War. I always thought that game was interesting.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime1st August 2009, 9:27 pm

Verminlord wrote:
Back in '92 when Hastings carried Warhammer...
The one game that I never got to play, Man O'War. I always thought that game was interesting.
Heh, I remember back then. Not enough funds to consider Warhammer back then, but I did pick up a bunch of Man O'War when Hastings put it on clearance. Never really got to play, but it looked good.

If you still want to scratch that itch, I've got some Uncharted Seas minis. I'm just waiting for them to publish the revised rules before I start pushing people to play Smile
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime1st August 2009, 10:46 pm

flekkzo wrote:
Though I do hate painting yellow, which is *REALLY* ironic for an Imperial Fists player...

Flekkzo

Yellow is my Kryptonite. I can't paint it at all and it always looks terrible........
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime1st August 2009, 11:19 pm

Deleted

Last edited by gamewizard on 11th August 2009, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime1st August 2009, 11:50 pm

Wildeyedjester wrote:
flekkzo wrote:
Though I do hate painting yellow, which is *REALLY* ironic for an Imperial Fists player...

Flekkzo

Yellow is my Kryptonite. I can't paint it at all and it always looks terrible........

Yellow is tough. Not knowing any better, I decided to paint my very first 40K army yellow. Needless to say, that army never got finished.
Back to top Go down
deletethisuser
Blind Ratling Sniper
deletethisuser

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime3rd August 2009, 5:06 am

Fulminata wrote:
Wildeyedjester wrote:
flekkzo wrote:

Flekkzo

Yellow is tough. Not knowing any better, I decided to paint my very first 40K army yellow. Needless to say, that army never got finished.

You do learn a lot from painting yellow though. How costly mistakes become (repainting yellow is, well, not easy), how important it is to have the right consistency for the paint, etc. I'm hoping that the army I paint after the chanterelles will look extra good because of it. Not that I am giving up on them, I still like the chapter :)
Back to top Go down
http://flekkzo.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What got you in to wargaming?   What got you in to wargaming? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What got you in to wargaming?
Page 1 of 1