Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do you want in this league?

Go down 
+7
Monkey
warhammerworld
PhantomPhoenix
abbottj83
bdix
Dannato
Wildeyedjester
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

What do you want in this league? Empty
PostSubject: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime8th February 2010, 11:45 am

There has been a good deal of interest in an area wide 40k league. I would like you to let me know if you are interested in participating here, and also like your input on the logistics below. I don't mind organizing this at all, but I want to make sure we cater to those who want to play! In headings where there are multiple choices, please let me know which you prefer.

Who would host: The hogs of war would host the league and keep a record here in the forums, as well as a scoring report.

Venues: We would like to open this up to gaming at all locations in Arkansas. Following a game you would turn your scores into me here in the forums. I will create a sub forum for score reporting. Leagues are a lot of fun, and I would throw some fun elements in each week to keep things fun. I want this first HoW league to be simple and fun to play in.

Points Values:
a) A fixed value on games of either 1500, 1850, or 2000 points
or
b) Games beginning at 1000 points, and then increasing every two weeks by a set amount of points.

Scenarios:
a) A weekly scenario posted here in the forums to mix things up.
or
b) Standard Scenarios out of the rulebook.

In both above cases, players would be required to calculate the victory points they earned for each game. They would get league points for a win, tie, or loss. They would also get points for how many Victory points they scored against their opponent.

Number of Games per week:
a) Every player can play as many games per week as they like. The players scores are averaged for the week for his/her score. (This evens things up if one person plays one game a week, and another plays 10 games a week).
or
b) There is no limit on the number of points that can be earned, and players can play as many games per week as they want. (This is the option I like least - usually resulting in the player who plays the most as the winner).
or
c) A game limit - everyone can play one to two games per week and any others are not counted.
or
d) There is a limit of three games per week per player. Additionally, each players scores for the week will be averaged.

Missing a Game:
a) Every player has their lowest weeks score removed from the league results- this gives each player a week they don't have to play (stuff comes up in real life!)
or
b) All scores count. (If you don't play a game in a week you get a zero)

Time Frame:
a) Time frame: April 1st to the weekend prior to patriot games!

Rewards:
T - shirt explosion is providing a prize to the winner and will be announcing this at patriot games!
a) Free entry into the league - everyone plays. No additional prize support.
or
b) A 5 dollar entry fee to play, payable here via paypal. Additional prize support provided to the 1st through possibly third placed players provided by HoW.

Painting:
a) No painting restriction
or
b) additional points rewarded for posting a fully painted army pic here in the forum prior to June

Army Composition:
You will choose one army to play during the duration of the league. However, for simplicity sake in this first league, you will be allowed to make changes to your roster prior to all games.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime8th February 2010, 11:55 am

My beginning preferences would look like this:

Wildeyedjester wrote:

b) Games beginning at 1000 points, and then increasing every two weeks by a set amount of points.

Scenarios:

In both above cases, players would be required to calculate the victory points they earned for each game. They would get league points for a win, tie, or loss. They would also get points for how many Victory points they scored against their opponent.

d) There is a limit of three games per week per player. Additionally, each players scores for the week will be averaged.

Missing a Game:
a) Every player has their lowest weeks score removed from the league results- this gives each player a week they don't have to play (stuff comes up in real life!)

Time Frame:

Rewards:
T - shirt explosion is providing a prize to the winner and will be announcing this at patriot games!

Painting:
b) additional points rewarded for posting a fully painted army pic here in the forum prior to June

Army Composition:
You will choose one army to play during the duration of the league. However, for simplicity sake in this first league, you will be allowed to make changes to your roster prior to all games.

Trending in army composition scores has been moving toward 2000 points. I think it would be nice to start at small points values and end at a value equal to the points that Patriot Games point limit (2k, I presume). This would help players get their lists geared for our local GW sponsored Grand Tournament Event. Adding in a small points incentive for painting would also help everyone get their stuff painted for the tournament!
Back to top Go down
Dannato
Spirit Guide to Lost Souls
Dannato

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime8th February 2010, 12:32 pm

Wildeyedjester wrote:

Points Values:

Scenarios:

Missing a Game:

Time Frame:

Rewards:

Painting:

Army Composition:

I'm really excited about this.
Back to top Go down
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime8th February 2010, 4:29 pm

Im interested in playing.

scenarios: option A
Number of games per week: max three
Missing a game: lowest dropped
Entry: free
Painting: fully painted
Back to top Go down
abbottj83
Gimp Suit Wearing Dark Eldar
Gimp Suit Wearing Dark Eldar
abbottj83

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime8th February 2010, 5:42 pm

I'd be interested in joining in if I was able to. Here are my preferences.

Points Values:
b) Games beginning at 1000 points, and then increasing every two weeks by a set amount of points. (As long as they didn't get TOO high. I'm new to the game and I'd hate to not be able to keep playing cause the points got higher than I could field; though I do plan on buying more stuff over the next few months anyways, so hopefully I'd keep up with it.)

Scenarios:

c) A game limit - everyone can play one to two games per week and any others are not counted.
or

Missing a Game:

Time Frame:

Rewards:

Painting:
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime9th February 2010, 1:53 am

would there be a set person you play each week or is it like you have to find an opponent yourself?
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime9th February 2010, 2:54 am

I'd be very interested in joining and I like the choices already picked out by WildEyed and Dannato, especially the painting part as that would finally get me to finish everything up. I'm also very interested in how pairing might work, especially if it widens the range of armies I get to play against.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime9th February 2010, 8:38 am

We would let you play anyone else you would like. In my past league experiences, it is difficult to arrange games between particular individuals as this can put someone behind if their specific opponent doesn't show up. That being said, the league should cause more games to occur and we will make sure to use the site, here, to arrange games between some new folks. You will, of course, be free to arrange your games here as well! Our group will most likely rotate between the stores for the league, as well which would hopefully give you some additional opponents.

I am hoping to have about 20 people minimally interested in playing. I will be opening another thread up shortly to keep track of those wanting to play. If you know anyone else who is wanting to game in it, let me know.
Back to top Go down
warhammerworld
Apothecary with a box of band aids
Apothecary with a box of band aids

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime9th February 2010, 11:02 am

My preference is that you play 40K. Any points, any scenario, and record the results. If I want to play 2K points, or 1K, either should be able to be recorded in the league standings. I like to play at high and lower point levels.
Back to top Go down
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Monkey

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime9th February 2010, 12:13 pm

Points Value:

I'm down for either. I think a steady 2,000 points would help me tweak my tournament list, but I do understand that some people can't pull that. I want as many players as possible, so the gradual build works for me.

Scenarios:

New and varied scenarios, so option A.

Number of Games:

This is the tricky one for me. I like the idea of averaging 2 or 3 games per week. The only worry that I have is that some unscrupulous fellow, none of those who've posted thus far of course, might tweak his results. i.e. One might refrain from playing a second game in a week if the first game went well. I'd like to see a minimum of two games. That seems like it will help with the above mentioned problem without being too much of a time sink. We could also limit how many times you can play the same opponent. I'd say it simply can't be half of your games. It seems like that would defeat the purpose of the league.

Missing a game:

option A- stuff happens

Rewards:

Either, and thanks to Dennis for the support.

Painting:

Definitely B- I need all the motivation I can get during this time of the year.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime9th February 2010, 2:11 pm

Will you be using any of the missions out of the new book
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
JDScherrey
Squat with the Squats
Squat with the Squats
JDScherrey

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime9th February 2010, 2:35 pm

Is this a play at different days type of league? I work every other weekend, so unfortunately my days off vary. So that would be every other Friday unless we can meet throughout the week to play.

-Christopher
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime9th February 2010, 5:45 pm

JDScherrey wrote:
Is this a play at different days type of league? I work every other weekend, so unfortunately my days off vary. So that would be every other Friday unless we can meet throughout the week to play.

-Christopher

You would be able to play your games on any day you like during each week period. The league would run for a couple of months and you would get points on a weekly basis, meaning you can play on whatever day is convenient for you.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime9th February 2010, 6:08 pm

if you get 1-3 games a week, would you be penalized for only playing one game a week as opposed to 3?
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime10th February 2010, 12:03 am

No one game or three - you will only be able to score so many points per week. If you played three they would just be averaged out - which could help or hurt you. A person who plays three games in a week will not have any advantage over the person who plays just one, other than just more opportunities to play Smile
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime10th February 2010, 1:14 am

yeah, that sounds awesome. More games potentially, but if someone is busy, no penalty
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime11th February 2010, 4:27 pm

If this is going to be an escalation league, then it needs to be one.
I think we should start at 850pts, HQ and Troops only for first week. This should allow for each army to field a solid HQ choice and at least 2 troop choices. Any retinues and dedicated transports should be allowed.
Then add 250pts each upgrade for a total of 4 upgrades to get to the 1850pts for Patriot. In addition to the points added, add a unit type each upgrade as well. Like adding Elite choices for 1st upgrade, Fast Attack for 2nd, and Heavy for 3rd. The 4th would just be points to round out the army.
If we start this March 1st with an upgrade every 2 weeks, last upgrade should fall on April 26th. This will give everyone a month and a half to make any changes, finish painting, etc. before Patriot. It would even give us time to have a little tourney with our league armies in May. No entry fee, just league participants only. This way we could judge each others armies based on various things, paint, comp, best game, etc. We could possibly even each of us chip in a little and the winner of said tourney get entry fee paid to Patriot.

Painting should not be required, but should be bonus points.
Scenarios out the book are fine, but everyone should play the same one for league games, maybe post the official scenario here so everyone knows which one it is.
If we are getting paired up, then only the one game should count. Otherwise, perhaps we could turn in the 3 best games to be averaged out if we can play whoever. Only stipulation, can't play the same person twice in a given period.

Just my thoughts on this.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime11th February 2010, 7:53 pm

Good points so far, all. Most likely we will be starting at 1050 points and working up to 1850 . Every two weeks, we will increase the points value by 200. The league will start on April first and I will provide more details as they come along.

I am not big on altering or changing the force organization chart because one size doesn't fit all when it comes to force org. charts. It also makes leagues slow down and is more tedious for a new person to learn in my opinion.

Please keep the ideas coming!
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime12th February 2010, 2:44 pm

The odds of my participation are fairly low, but they would go up a bit with Verminlord's ideas.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you want in this league?   What do you want in this league? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you want in this league?
Page 1 of 1