Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Army List Discussion

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

Army List Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Army List Discussion   Army List Discussion Icon_minitime12th October 2009, 6:34 pm

For some tactics discussion (how's that for a change? Very Happy ), here's what I'm bringing to CHG this weekend and why. Chris, this is why I was wondering if list turnin was closed.

Way back in 3rd edition I played my Black Templars as mid-range space marines, shooty with melee backup. Then the Templar codex came out and, while I like a lot of the changes, the ability to play mid-range is effectively gone, to be replaced by shooting. The current Space Marine codex doesn't give you really stout melee backup like the old days either. The Space Wolf codex gives a solid mix of both if you want to play it differently than rush n charge.

100 100 Rune Priest, Tempest's Wrath, Hurricane
You have to have an HQ. I feel that, especially in low-points games, the Rune Priest gives the best bang for the buck, points wise. I gave him two solid board control powers; if I had two Rune Priests, one would have Hurricane, the other Wrath, and both would have Lightning, but I didn't have the points for a Chooser and I liked the battlefield control. He rides in with the small Grey Hunter squad.

100 75 Wolf Scouts*5
10 Meltagun
15 Mark of the Wulfen
Mostly to keep a 12" border to the battlefield and keep people in closer. Good, but not ZOMGWTFBBQ like newer players will think.

125 105 Dreadnought
10 TL-AC
10 TL-AC
125 105 Dreadnought
10 TL-AC
10 TL-AC
Death to Rhinos and light vehicles. The best long-range firepower readily available not on a Land Raider chassis.

215 150 Grey Hunters*10
5 Meltagun
0 Meltagun
15 Mark of the Wulfen
10 Wolf Standard
35 Rhino
215 150 Grey Hunters*10
5 Meltagun
0 Meltagun
15 Mark of the Wulfen
10 Wolf Standard
35 Rhino
Stock mid-range units. My plan is to stay in a Rhino until I have to get out, then rely on counter-charge. The Wolf Standard is in my opinion the most under-rated piece of wargear in the list. I can reroll 1's to miss, to wound, on MotW attacks, on break tests if I want to flee, and on initiative for distance (it actually says ALL 1's in that assault phase). Then again, it is 1-shot and more points than both Meltaguns together, so I guess it evens out.

130 75 Grey Hunters*5
5 Meltagun
15 Mark of the Wulfen
35 Rhino
Rune Priest rides here. Meltagun because it's 5 points; the Rhino lets 2 people shoot out but I doubt he'll actually do it THAT often. Mark of the Wulfen is a last minute change for counterpunch and like wasted most times.

180 150 Thunderwolf Cavalry *3
25 Frost Axe
5 Meltabombs
My counter punch unit. Upgrades are on different models for wound allocation purposes. Long term, probably better to have gone with a Thunder Hammer, realistically, but I like the frost axe for some reason.

70 50 Land Speeder
10 Multimelta
10 Heavy Flamer
70 50 Land Speeder
10 Multimelta
10 Heavy Flamer
Solid anti-tank and anti-infantry. These can deep strike and/or contest objectives late game.

85 60 Predator
25 Heavy Bolters
85 60 Predator
25 Heavy Bolters
More anti-infantry and anti-light tank. Anti-heavy tank comes down to the 6 meltaguns (and possibly Hurricane for Vendettas and Wave Serpents).

What I wanted to bring and couldn't fit in:
Drop Pods for the Dreadnoughts. They would never have used them, but mobile terrain and objective blocking is invaluable. I could see replacing the Wolf Scouts and juggling points to fit in 1 Wolf Guard (probably with a combi-melta) and 3 drop pods (1 for each dreadnought, 1 for the Wolf Guard squad that then gets farmed into the small Grey Hunter squad and comes down empty). Gogo battle condoms.
Wolf Guard in general. No selections open.

Heavy weaknesses:
Massed Land Raiders. You can take 3 in 1500 and still have points left.
Kill Point missions. I have 15.

Anyone else want to pony up? I'll also handle Q&A.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Army List Discussion   Army List Discussion Icon_minitime12th October 2009, 10:47 pm

You are fielding black templars as space wolves? What are you using as thunderwolves?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Army List Discussion   Army List Discussion Icon_minitime12th October 2009, 11:16 pm

Templars on horses of course!

Archaon will be the guy with the hammer. Figuring out the rest.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Army List Discussion   Army List Discussion Icon_minitime13th October 2009, 9:50 pm

I look forward to seeing the marine on horses.
Back to top Go down
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Army List Discussion   Army List Discussion Icon_minitime14th October 2009, 10:31 pm

I shall also be running the wolves, but I am going to try to run an all painted army. So I'm running the army I've been running for a bit with a few tweaks. I have two full units of Blood Claws, one full unit of Grey Hunters, and a five man unit of Blood Claws. The full units all have a wolf guard with PF. I'm going to run a Rune Priest with JoTWW and the Lightning spell and a Wolf Priest. I also have a land raider and a predator. I would love to run Thunderwolves or even just Canis, but I'm not finished with him yet. I did add a Lone Wolf for giggles.

Later,

Monkey
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Army List Discussion   Army List Discussion Icon_minitime15th October 2009, 9:05 am

I have grown weary of playing my guard so I wll be playing something else.... I was torn between my blood angels and my eldar. I decided on the latter, despite my reluctance to try them in a tournament setting since I have only played them twice.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: Army List Discussion   Army List Discussion Icon_minitime19th October 2009, 4:46 pm

Well if I learned one thing, it to always take a Hive Tyrant. Should've taken two.
However I will limp along with what I have until Jan. and hope for a plastic Hive Tyrant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Army List Discussion   Army List Discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Army List Discussion
Page 1 of 1