Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

6e terrain and flyers discussion

Go down 
+3
capnwoodrow
Verminlord
Wildeyedjester
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

6e terrain and flyers discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime3rd July 2012, 6:38 pm

I am wagering the terrain will not be allowed in tourneys. Theres no way a big tournamet is going to let you bring a fortress of redemption to put on the table every game of a tournamwnt. Time will tell, though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime3rd July 2012, 10:52 pm

I agree about the Fortress of Redemption. But I could see the allowing the defense line, bastion and the skyshield landing pad. They don't take up much room and can be placed without really disturbing any existing terrain. On most boards anyway.
Besides, if players bring a piece of terrain as part of army list, less terrain to's will need to supply for boards.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime3rd July 2012, 11:10 pm

And if both players brought pads? Or defense lines? It clogs up the board. I don't like the idea of it at all. It's not 40k. It's SIM City.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime3rd July 2012, 11:45 pm

Jester, I did chuckle a bit. I remember always placing the skyshield middle of the board and you threatening to toss it against a wall.

"Nuh uh it's in my army list now!"
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime4th July 2012, 9:25 am

Also, at Verminlord - you'll probably see comp creep into 40k now. I'd imagine terrain under 100 pts can be taken and a limit to fliers/way to give out sky fire.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime4th July 2012, 9:54 am

First, Zooming flyers will spend half the game off the board. So you can just ignore them mostly.

Also, Remember a lack of skyfire is a hurdle. Just like orks who have had years of problems chasing land raiders. It may not be easy for everyone, but that won't introduce comp.

The ally rules are there if you need them - and your fliers, if you have them, kill others with ease.

The 40k camp won't comp. there's just too many ways to kill everything.
Back to top Go down
DreadArchon
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
DreadArchon

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime4th July 2012, 6:35 pm

We actually are not worried about terrain in FSM. We will be going BACK to 1500pts. Bring a fortress and you lose a lot of possibilites.

Also with Grenades assaulting buildings, they are a deathtrap to non-power armor.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime5th July 2012, 2:44 pm

Wildeyedjester wrote:
First, Zooming flyers will spend half the game off the board. So you can just ignore them mostly.

Unless Vendettas, outflank keeps them on the board most of the game easily.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime5th July 2012, 2:47 pm

And with reserve abuse you're coming back in on 2+s.

Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime5th July 2012, 2:51 pm

The turn(s) they moved off they didn't get to shoot. It's not about when they come back.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime5th July 2012, 3:03 pm

T1 off, t2 on 18, t3 move 18, t4 off (possibly depending on angle), back on t5

Right? Zooming is 18-36.

Assuming a blank board with no terrain or intervening models of course. Obviously sounds worse until you put 2 sky shields and a fortress of redemption.
Back to top Go down
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime5th July 2012, 3:22 pm

I'm going to make some counts as terrain the size of jeremys wall in apocolypse game. DEAL WITH IT
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime5th July 2012, 3:35 pm

capnwoodrow wrote:
Assuming a blank board with no terrain or intervening models of course.

"A zooming flyer does not have to take Dangerous Terrain tests even if it starts or stops over difficult, dangerous, or impassible terrain." p. 80

Intervening models still cause an issue.

I think that Jester's right as far as the threat most flyers pose (which is relatively little), but strictly ignoring them might not be the best route.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime5th July 2012, 4:24 pm

Remember cap you get to turn to face once at beginning of move and you can't land on things. If you have flyers I will hug the sides after a turn to make it tough on you. If you think 2-3 turns of shooting isn't a big deal, think about the points invested in that flyer. Was it worth you buying something specifically for it to take it down? It can't contest or score.....

The necron flyer is actually the best because it's gun isn't hull mounted. It can just go back and forth. It also drops troops after a 36" move. You will want to kill it.

Anyway, play and see what you think. I played my flyers and they were much vastly less effective than last edition. YMMV
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime5th July 2012, 4:51 pm

Right.

I'm not saying that flyers are broken and need comp. I was just saying as much chatter as they are generating I wouldnt be surprised to see some TOs restrict them early.

Good tactical analysis of flyers. Deff food for thought.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime5th July 2012, 8:10 pm

Verminlord wrote:

Besides, if players bring a piece of terrain as part of army list, less terrain to's will need to supply for boards.

This is a horrible idea. Now the board won't have a sufficient amount of terrain unless I spend points to ensure it does?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6e terrain and flyers discussion   6e terrain and flyers discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

6e terrain and flyers discussion
Page 1 of 1