Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Changing Armies

Go down 
+6
big_d
sgtwaldo
capnwoodrow
Kragg
MonkeyMan
PhantomPhoenix
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime14th August 2010, 3:32 pm

I don't have a ton of games under my belt so this is still somewhat hypohetical, but I'm not liking the way VC are playing out. This is mostly due to absolutely terrible Core choices. I don't need to cover why zombies are bad, and with the massive fear nerf Skellies are barely better. Ghouls aren't bad, in fact I actually like them, but the lack of a banner means I practically auto lose some of the new scenarios. As much as I'd like to say I play just because it's fun, I am still pretty competitive, so guaranteed losses 1/3 of the time is a huge drawback for me.

So, what this all boils down to is I'm starting to look at other armies in case my feelings toward the counts don't change. I know that I want an army with solid rules, I don't need top tier. Right now there are only 4 armies I have no interest in playing Skaven, Beastmen, O&G, and Ogres. I'd like to avoid Chaos just to keep 40k and Fantasy separate, but that's not a big deal. Basically I'm trying to see what other armies might play well and keep me interested. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime14th August 2010, 5:06 pm

have u considered high elves Smile they r strong magically(plus if u get teclis the loremaster he is really strong magically, but weak close combat wise so if u get high elves Very Happy Very Happy then get him and put him with a unit of 20 phoenix guard cause they have an armor save of 5, and a ward save of 4, so they r hard to kill and they would protect him)they r also really strong close combat and ranged wise, plus the seaguard have bows and spears and shields, plus they just look amazingly awesome painted(if u do a good job). Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kragg
Ork Boy without teef
Ork Boy without teef
Kragg

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime14th August 2010, 5:22 pm

Dwarves are awesome now, but still pretty boring. Shooting someone to death before they get into combat with you is certainly not a good way to make friends either.

I'm loving my Brets so far. You can still get enough ranks to keep all but the biggest units from going stubborn on you and magic doesn't just obliterate your knights anymore. The last game I played I crushed a High Elf army, but they were being playes by a player with less experience.
Back to top Go down
Kragg
Ork Boy without teef
Ork Boy without teef
Kragg

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime14th August 2010, 5:24 pm

High Elfs rock currently. I've been thinking about picking up an army, but I fear the nerf hammer is going to come down hard on their ASF rule as soon as their next Army Book comes out. With them being in the new box set though, that might not be the case.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime14th August 2010, 7:33 pm

I vote lizards.

Solid Core, can go big combat lord or the (arguably) best wizard in the game right now, lots of options, and you can compete in every phase.
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime14th August 2010, 7:39 pm

i still vote high elves(They R Awesome!! even though i have only played a few demo battles at games-workshop and at home), also capnwoodrow i would(after i read up and do a few more demos and get some more people like teclis the loremaster, 5 more phoenix guard, and some more white lions) like to play my high elves against ur lizardmen sometime(even though they r both forces of order)
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime14th August 2010, 8:35 pm

Nothing about my army can be described as 'order.'
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime14th August 2010, 8:42 pm

so can i still play u in a little while?(probably a week if u dont mind me having to lookover some of the rules when we would game, if u still want to play me that is confused )
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime14th August 2010, 9:04 pm

Lizardmen was one of the armies I'd considered, but including you Capn I know 3.5 people with Lizardmen armies. Which isn't all bad, if you don't mind the occasional mirror match. Right now the army on the top of my change list (again this is hypothetical as I may just decide to suck it up (hurr vamp pun) and stick with the bats) is Dark Elves, I'm a huge fan of the Rare models and they've got extremely useful core units(read dark riders). The other thing I've been thinking, is just stick with VC until the new TK book comes in, that way at least I stick with the undead.

That said, I've looked through the scenarios again and I guess I'm only hosed on the Break Points scenario, which with 3 total standards at 2500, I lose 1 I lose the game....... Which isn't that bad, but still I don't like losing so I definitely don't like auto-losing.
Back to top Go down
sgtwaldo
Flash Git with a Grill
Flash Git with a Grill
sgtwaldo

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime14th August 2010, 9:50 pm

Hey guys I have a question for you. Ok, so I have been mulling this around in my head since I heard that WHFB was coming out with Island of Blood. Are Skaven a good army? I only play 40k, and I have only played that for like a year. I haven't even picked up the WHFB manua,l but I'm thinking now would be as good a time as ever, you know?
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime14th August 2010, 9:55 pm

I think Dark Elves would be a good fit from what you have said. They have really solid core choices, and their special and rare are just wicked. You can build them in a variety of ways, and can excel at magic, shooting, or close combat.

@sgtwaldo - Right now is a great time to get into it. Everyone is pretty much starting out on the same foot since the new rules have been released. The new box set is also an amazing deal, you get about 1/3rd of 2 armies and the rule book.
Back to top Go down
sgtwaldo
Flash Git with a Grill
Flash Git with a Grill
sgtwaldo

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime14th August 2010, 10:06 pm

Thats funny I have looked at Dark Elves and said to myself, "Man, if I could afford them that is what I would go with..." Lol, I think I want to try to break into the game on the cheap since I never have played it before. Can you tell me how many points most tourneys will play at? I am a pretty big fan of 1500pts in 40k but I don't know how that converts to Fantasy. Can you convert High Elves to Dark Elves easily?
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime14th August 2010, 10:31 pm

It looks like the new size for Warhammer Fantasy tournaments is going to be 2500 points from what I have seen. You will probably still see some 2250, and a few 2000 but I think 2500 is the new standard.

As far as converting them, I say go for it. Just paint them in a suitable color scheme, buy a few actual DE heroes, and make sure everything is WYSIWYG and you won't have any problems. I can't think of one event that I have ever been to where someone wasn't allowed to use models they had converted or were counts as - just make sure your opponent can tell what it is by looking at it.

We were at BOLSCon a few weeks back and a guy was using an Eldar/Lizardman army to represent Tyranids and I couldn't tell anything at all as to what was what - it was a bit much.
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime14th August 2010, 11:09 pm

SgtWaldo, go High Elves they r awesome(even though i havent actually played a real fantasy battle am still learning how to play) if u r wanting high elves or skaven either go to castle house games island of blood event, or war pigs or whatever place is having an event thats closest to u.
The High Elves r an awesome army to play, they r expensive point wise cause they r an army of elite warriors, but they r very powreful magic wise, pretty good with ranged combat, good calvary, good infantry, strong heroes, but almost no warmachines, also if u go high elves u should get at least one chariot(preferably two or three to fill in the gaps in ur army),and some white lions cause they have strength 6 hits, a bunch of phoenix guard(about 3 normal sets of 5 and one command set of 5), and put Teclis, the loremaster with them cause they have a +5 armour save, and a +4 ward save,by the way teclis can use any spell from whatever lore u choose for his magic, instead of 4 random spells from that lore, over all a great army, and if ur ever in fayetteville come by castle house games and if ur not playing high elves we do a small demo kind of battle(since im still learning and u dont have the rule book yet). But if ur in fayetteville on saturday the 4th then come by castlehousegames at 9am(i know its early) and buy the island of blood starter box for the event and at the end then if u chose skaven id give u my skaven from my set and u would give me the high elves from ur set.
GO HIGH ELVES!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime15th August 2010, 1:24 am

Keep in mind that VC prolly aren't gonna play the same in this ruleset.

From what I have read and been told, if you aren't playing with a Black Coach, go home. I guess they are brutal in this edition.
Back to top Go down
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime15th August 2010, 1:48 am

You should make an army of nothing but skeletons.
Back to top Go down
Dannato
Spirit Guide to Lost Souls
Dannato

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime15th August 2010, 1:52 am

I would say lizards or dark elves.

On a side note if i ever see another emoticon i'm going to cry.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime15th August 2010, 8:56 am

I'm very much aware that VC are nothing like what they used to be. The percentage system makes our character centric army very awkward to build. Especially being forced to take 625 pts of subpar units at 2500. In 7th direwolves, wraiths, and black knights were mainstays of the army, now all 3 have been relegated to the model shelf due to unit type, fear/terror, cav, and crumble changes. But I don't own any of those models so that's not a big deal for me. I've actually updated my VC 2500 list, the banners are still an issue (3 @2500 is bad), and it's a bit gimmicky (relies a bit on a suicide vamp) but overall I feel it's solid.

That said, I'm thinking of picking up som DE warriors and make xbowmen since they're the same base size as VC, I could play a little proxy-hammer. I could also do the same with HE and maybe skinks and the like. Then I'd also be able to proxy the other direction to test other armies... Just me thinking in text...
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime15th August 2010, 9:36 am

High Elves!!( Smile Smile Smile Smile )
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime15th August 2010, 12:19 pm

Completely irrelevant posts deleted.

-Thanks, Mgmt
Back to top Go down
JDScherrey
Squat with the Squats
Squat with the Squats
JDScherrey

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime15th August 2010, 1:18 pm

I cannot fully attend the release event but I will be down there for a bit. Anyone interested in trading the out their Skaven in return for Elves let me know. Still building the rat horde....

And unfortunately repairing my 40k orcs..... Two children vs 40k Ork Battlehorde didn't go so well for the horde.

-Chirsotpher
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime16th August 2010, 10:01 pm

if ur going to castlehousegames, i'll give u my skaven if u give me ur high elves Smile
p.s. i will b the 12 year old kid Cool
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime21st August 2010, 11:27 pm

any decision on what army ur changing to Shocked Suspect
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime21st August 2010, 11:52 pm

I dont know, but why do you think he should change to high elves?
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
MonkeyMan

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime22nd August 2010, 11:30 am

I am playing high elves(well actually learning how to play but am almost ready Razz ), and i really like them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Changing Armies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Armies   Changing Armies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changing Armies
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next