Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG

Go down 
+4
Wildeyedjester
Fletch
capnwoodrow
gamewizard
8 posters
AuthorMessage
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Empty
PostSubject: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime30th June 2010, 12:13 am

The next box set does come with a small rule book as always.

However, the small book will not have all the scenarios in it like the big book has. I suggest that at least one member of your small group that you meet with regularly get a large book. You'll need it if you want to have all the scenario rules.

CHG does have a large book for perusal. By perusal, I am not sure if I will allow it to be available for use on a regular basis when games are being played without some sort of compensation being footed. I know this is a 180 degree change for me since I have made it a personal policy to have lots of supplies available for games such as tape measures, clippers, templates, etc. But all of the previous items have been replaced by me at personal expense on occasion as well.

I bought the 8th Ed book that is being used at the shop out of my personal funds. I don't mind sharing but how long will that book last if it is used on a regular basis at the shop?

I have noticed people flipping rapidly through the pages which is not how I take care of my own books.

I'm sorry this has turned into a rant, but it is only a matter of time before I notice the book I bought has a tear in a page. If I find it on my own, the book will be removed and a replacement not bought. If somebody lets me know it was an accident and offers some sort of compensation then I will remain at one with the 'Verse.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime30th June 2010, 11:14 am

gamewizard wrote:

CHG does have a large book for perusal. By perusal, I am not sure if I will allow it to be available for use on a regular basis when games are being played without some sort of compensation being footed. I know this is a 180 degree change for me since I have made it a personal policy to have lots of supplies available for games such as tape measures, clippers, templates, etc. But all of the previous items have been replaced by me at personal expense on occasion as well.

I bought the 8th Ed book that is being used at the shop out of my personal funds.

Are you talking about charging to use the store copy or you don't get to use the store copy unless you're also purchasing something?
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime30th June 2010, 12:55 pm

hmmm odd I was pretty sure that anything that was sent in the black box before release was free. Now after 8th comes out I totally understand charging but right now I believe it's a good thing to have it out for show and use for free.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime30th June 2010, 1:28 pm

I was posting while under the influence.

The use of the store copy will remain as is until the copy gets abused is what I meant to say.

I have been at other locations and asked to borrow a tape measure to play and was told that there were tape measures for sale but not to be used. I intend not to follow that same business model and will offer supplies within reason until a major expense is suffered.

I guess the best way to put it is to be careful with the store copy. If you rip it, you buy it. It's going to have to be that way. Some people don't utilize the same care that others do when using others' property.

The store copy was NOT sent for free. I paid for it out of my own pocket from the store at a 20% discount (my and my workers usual discount) and have donated it for store use. I'm that kind of guy.

Use me but please don't abuse me. Please be careful with the store copy of the book is what I was trying to say. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

Also, I pay for any black boxes. They are not free and I have to request them. The last Black Box item was a box set of new riders for Lord of the Rings. It was around $40 for the set of six Knights of Dol Amroth and six Morgul Knights. They are cool and I bought them because I am interested in trying to get Lord of the Rings started up at CHG. The black box I bought before that was Space Hulk.

Edited for spelling: "From the store" instead of "Form the store". I can never type "from" when I want to. It is always "form". And spell check mocks me, since "form" is a word as much as "from" is. If we wrote in freaking German I wouldn't have a problem. English is so retarded. Ok, I am babbling now. Edit over.

Last edited by gamewizard on 30th June 2010, 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime30th June 2010, 3:26 pm

Yeah, fletch, different levels of gw merchandise sellers get different perks. One level of ,merchandiser does get you the new things for free from gw, I believe. Your level is dependent on the size of your initial order from gw, and then how often you order.

However, I was not aware the black box ever cost though... I just thought it was tied to being stockist level. I find it odd and u unfair that gw would charge for a black box and then not allow you to sell it... After using it for demo and showing off early.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime30th June 2010, 5:36 pm

I just checked the invoice from GW for the 8th edition book. The store paid for it and I reimbursed the store; but at full price minus a 20% discount. Because I think I can since I work at the store without pay. The peopl that work the register for me get paid am hourly rate and they get that discount, so they get a better deal than I do.

I just wanted to check the invoice to be sure since I have slept since the transaction occurred.

I bought the book because I would rather take the hit than the store. If that makes any sense to anybody at all. I am working on 20 hours straight with no sleep at the moment.

I have no idea what agreement with GW a store has to have in order to get free Black Box items. I am a Range 2 Stockist which means I carry certain box sets and books from every line that GW has. Lord of the Rings, War of the Rings, Fantasy, and 40K. I carry most of Range 3 which is paint and supplies. Range 4 covers blisters and the shop can't support that at the moment.

I plan on getting that far one day, but I need more customers in order to get there. I see the area growing more all the time so hopefully it will be sooner rather than later for Range 4.

If I get as many Fantasy buyers as I do 40K that day will be that much closer.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime30th June 2010, 6:33 pm

Wildeyedjester wrote:
Yeah, fletch, different levels of gw merchandise sellers get different perks. One level of ,merchandiser does get you the new things for free from gw, I believe. Your level is dependent on the size of your initial order from gw, and then how often you order.

However, I was not aware the black box ever cost though... I just thought it was tied to being stockist level. I find it odd and u unfair that gw would charge for a black box and then not allow you to sell it... After using it for demo and showing off early.
I'd have to double check to be sure, but I don't believe anyone gets the black box merchandise for free. Pretty sure even the GW stores get it charged to their account. There have been certain perks for stores dealing in larger volumes, but they've mostly been in the form of reduced shipping costs, and I believe even some of those have gone away over the past year or so.

Remember, we're talking about a company that charges $10 for their monthly advertising supplement. The term "marketing expense" is unknown there.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime30th June 2010, 7:22 pm

You should make it a rule at CHG that the only person who can use the store copy is the reigning champion. In order to use the book you should have to beat the challenger in a duel.

This is a joke. Please do not take this idea seriously.

#drinkingsincenoon
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime30th June 2010, 10:51 pm

capnwoodrow wrote:
You should make it a rule at CHG that the only person who can use the store copy is the reigning champion. In order to use the book you should have to beat the challenger in a duel.

This is a joke. Please do not take this idea seriously.

#drinkingsincenoon

Dis be a serious idea to be taken seriously.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime30th June 2010, 11:33 pm

gamewizard wrote:
I am a Range 2 Stockist which means I carry certain box sets and books from every line that GW has. Lord of the Rings, War of the Rings, Fantasy, and 40K.

Does anyone actually buy those? I'm honestly curious; I think I've bought maybe 4 blisters and 2 Balrogs, and I know Dustin bought a rulebook, but do people actually buy armies? And do they play at any of the local shops?
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime1st July 2010, 12:54 am

bsimon wrote:
gamewizard wrote:
I am a Range 2 Stockist which means I carry certain box sets and books from every line that GW has. Lord of the Rings, War of the Rings, Fantasy, and 40K.

Does anyone actually buy those? I'm honestly curious; I think I've bought maybe 4 blisters and 2 Balrogs, and I know Dustin bought a rulebook, but do people actually buy armies? And do they play at any of the local shops?

Lately a few people have expressed an interest in Lord of the Rings. I have played it with Fulminata and I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Lord of the Rings is a skirmish level game that I found to be much fun.

A few guys have bought some pieces mainly for modeling purposes in the past. I bought the Balrog because I like the model.

I enjoy the fluff, have read it and played various role playing games that had the history ( MERP by ICE ). Years ago I would have killed to get these models and minis. I enjoy the game, and if more people expressed an interest I would get more motivated to play it. I have a lot of Mines of Moria goblins to go with the Balrog. Not as many pieces as Fulminata has; but a few.

On a separate note; I am required to carry the line as a Range 2 Stockist.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime1st July 2010, 9:13 pm

What gamewizard said. Lord of the Rings is dormant, but there is some interest. I think if there was anybody playing it actively that it would draw a healthy number of participants pretty quickly.
Back to top Go down
Clockwork Gecko
Flashlight toting Guardsman

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime31st July 2010, 12:07 am

Not to sound contrary, but from what I've read on numerous sites, the new mini rulebook in the "Island Of Blood" box set is going to have all of the scenarios and scenario rules in it along with everything that is classified as a "rule" in the game. If there is anything that says otherwise, I would be curious to know.

In any case I am looking forward to getting my hands on the box and the rules. The devoted subjects of Emperor Karl Franz are getting restless.

Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime31st July 2010, 1:37 am

Clockwork Gecko wrote:
Not to sound contrary, but from what I've read on numerous sites, the new mini rulebook in the "Island Of Blood" box set is going to have all of the scenarios and scenario rules in it along with everything that is classified as a "rule" in the game. If there is anything that says otherwise, I would be curious to know.

In any case I am looking forward to getting my hands on the box and the rules. The devoted subjects of Emperor Karl Franz are getting restless.

This is a bad rumor. The main hard copy book has more scenarios and scenario rules than the boxed set small rule book; this is the attraction of getting the hard copy. Which is why it is out of print.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime31st July 2010, 4:33 am

Actually on the GW site it says the mini rulebook with have ALL the rules needed to play fantasy. It will not have any of the background, painting, etc. Since the sceanarios are part of the rules, they should be in there.
It may leave out the alliance stuff as well, I don't think that was mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime31st July 2010, 4:38 am

The small book should include the "Fighting A Warhammer Battle" chapter with the six basic scenarios. As Verminlord points out, they're part of the rules.

What it won't include is the "Warhammer Battles" chapter from later in the hardcover book which includes another ten scenarios along with guidelines for creating your own, among other things.
Back to top Go down
Clockwork Gecko
Flashlight toting Guardsman

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime31st July 2010, 4:14 pm

Fulminata wrote:
The small book should include the "Fighting A Warhammer Battle" chapter with the six basic scenarios. As Verminlord points out, they're part of the rules.

What it won't include is the "Warhammer Battles" chapter from later in the hardcover book which includes another ten scenarios along with guidelines for creating your own, among other things.

Makes sense there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG    Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Use of the new 8th Edtion hard cover book at CHG
Page 1 of 1