Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mixing paints for use with an airbrush

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
deletethisuser
Blind Ratling Sniper
deletethisuser

Mixing paints for use with an airbrush Empty
PostSubject: Mixing paints for use with an airbrush   Mixing paints for use with an airbrush Icon_minitime5th June 2010, 11:21 pm

Guess what, I did buy an airbrush (and had an unhealthy long exile from this forum for some reason:)), the same one that Big D has. While it is quite awesome in some ways, it is truly awful in another. I don't seem to be having any luck with mixing paints. I tried a 50:50 with windex as I've seen suggested around the interwebs and the paint clogs the airbrush with a lot of frustration as a result. I don't want to start using other colors as there is no way I can ever match the GW colors that way so I really want to stay with what I use now, which is GW paints and foundation paints.

So Big D (or anyone else), any advice on how you guys mix the paints up and any other help to help me not clog everything up. Got a Land Raider and two Land speeders to paint :)
Back to top Go down
http://flekkzo.blogspot.com
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Mixing paints for use with an airbrush   Mixing paints for use with an airbrush Icon_minitime5th June 2010, 11:43 pm

Big D can probably give you a ratio better than me - he's done it more times. But you absolutely must thing the paint. I always just use rubbing alcohol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Mixing paints for use with an airbrush   Mixing paints for use with an airbrush Icon_minitime6th June 2010, 9:27 pm

It is kind of an art on thinning the paint. You jut have to do it a bit before you get the hang of it. I have never used windex, but I have used water and rubbing alcohol.

If you have the same airbrush as me it can be really tricky to get it right, but when you do it is amazing. The biggest tip is to make sure no clumps get in the pot. I have started straining my paint through cheese cloth to keep out the lumps. If it is a brand new pot this shouldn't be a problem.

I use rubbing alcohol for regular paints, and water for foundation paints. I find a very good place to start is a 50/50 mix, maybe even a 60/40 mix with alcohol being the larger ingredient. You want to be a bit more careful with water, as it will run - but the alcohol will pretty much evaporate on contact so you don't have to worry about it being too runny.

Be sure to spray a junk model when trying out a new mix - don't want you to ruin your landraider. Also - foundation paints can sometimes come out in little blobs - don't worry, just spray it on a bit thicker than what you think you need and it will all smooth out as it dries.

Something else that can cause headaches is not cleaning the airbrush well enough. I always finish up by spraying pure alcohol throug the airbrush until it sprays clear, then take it aprat and clean it in the sink. I also give a soak in simple green every so often - just to break up any stubborn bits.

Keep at it and you will be a pro in no time.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Mixing paints for use with an airbrush   Mixing paints for use with an airbrush Icon_minitime6th June 2010, 10:00 pm

I have found this product Testor's Acrylic thinner to work amazingly well in both airbrush applications and regular brush on applications. I usually just put a few drops in a GW paint pot and it works great. It also constitutes paint pots far better than just water.

This product Testor's Acrylic Cleaner works great with cleaning as well; both with airbrush and regular brushes as well. I just lay the brush on a paper towel and pour a little bit over the brush and then wipe the brush with the paper towel that has the cleaner on it.

Both of these products can be found in most Hobby Lobby stores.

These two products work extremely well and I have tried a lot of things over my 30+ years of painting.

I'm still a loser compared to the art of Big_D and WildEyed, tho.

I almost threw away my Trygon when I saw Big Al's.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Mixing paints for use with an airbrush   Mixing paints for use with an airbrush Icon_minitime6th June 2010, 10:33 pm

@gamewizard - I'll have to give those a try. I'm still a newbie at the whole airbrushing scene and always love hearing what products other people have luck with.
Back to top Go down
deletethisuser
Blind Ratling Sniper
deletethisuser

PostSubject: Re: Mixing paints for use with an airbrush   Mixing paints for use with an airbrush Icon_minitime10th June 2010, 2:07 am

Thanks for all the help. This plus the latest blog post on de-lumping should hopefully put me
on the path to better airbrushing.

I am also thinking of trying to airbrush an Alaitoc falcon using the airbrush and Asurmen Blue wash. I like Alaitoc but stippling looks more orkish than elfish, I mean Eldarish :)
Back to top Go down
http://flekkzo.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mixing paints for use with an airbrush   Mixing paints for use with an airbrush Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mixing paints for use with an airbrush
Page 1 of 1