Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vallejo Paints

Go down 
+4
Haren
Wildeyedjester
big_d
Blarglord
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Blarglord
Blind Ratling Sniper
Blarglord

Vallejo Paints Empty
PostSubject: Vallejo Paints   Vallejo Paints Icon_minitime21st April 2010, 6:40 pm

I'm thinking about switching to Vallejo Game Colors instead of using Citadel colors. I've got several pots of citadel stuff and they are now the consistancy of hardened jell-o. I'm seeing this as a waste of money.

Has anyone else used Vallejo paints? Where can I get them in the area so I don't have to rely on online ordering?
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Vallejo Paints Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paints   Vallejo Paints Icon_minitime22nd April 2010, 9:02 am

I have a few pots of Vallejo that I use here and there and I really like them. I'm not 100% but I think Castle House carries Vallejo or did at one time. Another brand you might look at is the P3 paints. I have a several pots of those as well and they haven't even though about drying out over the last couple of years. You do have to give them a really good stirring every so often though. They have some really interesting colors that I haven't seen anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

Vallejo Paints Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paints   Vallejo Paints Icon_minitime22nd April 2010, 9:09 am

I have a few vallejo. They aren't my favorite. They are very watered down to start with. I prefer thicker and add water to my taste.

However, I fully 2nd the notion that privateer press paints are the bomb. P3 paints come in a wider assortment of colors and they mesh very well with other paints. They also have a very good consistency that seems to fall somewhere between GW and Vallejo paints. Not to mention - They still have a full range of pinks and oranges!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought
Haren

Vallejo Paints Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paints   Vallejo Paints Icon_minitime22nd April 2010, 11:19 am

CHG doesnt carry it in store but Chris would probably be able to order both Vallejo and P3.

On the subject of P3, I found it to be a more consistant paint than the same color in GW. IDK how it compairs to Vallejo but I have heard it's the same quality level.
Back to top Go down
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

Vallejo Paints Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paints   Vallejo Paints Icon_minitime22nd April 2010, 12:11 pm

P3 = Best paint on the market as far as quality. Very smooth and very rich. It is still a pop top container though so harder to maintain and will likely dry out on you like the GW's did. Kind of pricey too. Unless its changed you have to buy it in sets not individuals.

Vallejo = My favorite paint. This is my go too and I'm slowly switching over to the vallejo model master series. Not the game series that is a direct copy of GW paint colors. Vallejo is a thinner paint which I personally prefur. It is a eye drop style. This means your paints will pretty much never dry out. Also means you will not waste paint as much and is easy to stir as you just shake it with out a worry. Also cheapest by the once on top of not drying out and not wasting you money wise you come out way ahead. I Heart Vallejo!

GW = Same colors as Vallejo not as an extinsive range. The paint is good quality but the containers are absolute ass and your paying for the GW name. I would rate this the lowest of the 3. Not because its a bad paint by any means. Its great! I can't stand pop tops and I don't want to pay for a fancy name when other brands have the same color its just not 'Snakebite Leather'

If P3 ever goes to an eyedrop style I'll fall in love until then Vallejo is my go to.
Hope that helped.

LBB
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

Vallejo Paints Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paints   Vallejo Paints Icon_minitime22nd April 2010, 12:32 pm

Vallejo are my paints of choice. I only use GW because there isn't a retailer in NWA that carries Vallejo, so it's more convenient to get GW Foundation and Washes than the Vallejo equivalent. I do order empty Vallejo bottles from the Warstore to transfer my GW paints into.

Castle House does actually carry some Vallejo paints in the form of the Flames of War paint sets that they have in the back display case, but chances are those won't be the color selections you're looking for.

You do need to shake Vallejo bottles thoroughly before using, and very rarely will get a bottle that's been stored in extreme temperature conditions and has become all but useless, but overall you'll still get a lot more use out of them than GW paints.

I don't have any experience with P3 paints, but have heard good things about them.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

Vallejo Paints Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paints   Vallejo Paints Icon_minitime22nd April 2010, 2:24 pm

I have had the best luck trying to reconstitute dried paint by using Testor's Acrylic THinner. I use it almost daily with my painting needs and it is the best thing since sliced bread.

The acrylic cleaner Testors has is also good for cleaning brushes when I use the Army Painter Quickshade. It isn't supposed to be able to clean that, but I have had luck with it.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
RetroPengo
Chaplain and a book full of sermons
Chaplain and a book full of sermons
RetroPengo

Vallejo Paints Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paints   Vallejo Paints Icon_minitime25th April 2010, 1:52 pm

Really? sweet. i'm gonna try to use it for that. wow.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

Vallejo Paints Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paints   Vallejo Paints Icon_minitime27th April 2010, 11:08 am

Really tho the best thing to clean brushes after painting with Quickshade is Mineral Spirits. I plan on getting some this payday (Friday).
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Vallejo Paints Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paints   Vallejo Paints Icon_minitime27th April 2010, 11:06 pm

I have not had any luck in cleaning a brush after using a dip with them. I usually pick up a pack of crappy Hobby Lobby brushes when they are on sale for this reason. I tried mineral spirits on a brush once or twice and it still clumped up. Be sure to let us know how it works out for you - I was probably doing it wrong.

If it makes a difference I was using a synthetic brush. Who knows, the mineral spirits might have melted it together.
Back to top Go down
Blarglord
Blind Ratling Sniper
Blarglord

Vallejo Paints Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paints   Vallejo Paints Icon_minitime6th May 2010, 2:39 pm

thanx for the replies. Really pushing me to go further into getting Vallejo. I clean my brushes with brush soap you can get from Hobby Lobby. I can't remember the name. But it works wonders. The owner of our local gaming store says Simple Green works really good for cleaning brushes as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vallejo Paints Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paints   Vallejo Paints Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vallejo Paints
Page 1 of 1