Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Army Painter Question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

Army Painter Question Empty
PostSubject: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime9th April 2010, 1:14 am

How do you use the spray? My test spray job looked really sloppy and terrible
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime9th April 2010, 2:15 am

How far away were you holding the can? I'm experimenting with it on some nids I have and it did OK on them, but I held the can pretty close, only about six to eight inches from the models.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime9th April 2010, 2:25 am

mine went on all clumpy and bad
Back to top Go down
RetroPengo
Chaplain and a book full of sermons
RetroPengo

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime9th April 2010, 2:27 am

Make sure you shake it for 2 minutes before you start using it. the instructions state this.

Spray from about 10-12 inches, use spritzing and a criss-cross pattern. only takes 4 spritzes to cover the side you're working on give or take. At least, that's what works for me

CONTINUE TO SHAKE. every minute or two it will start to powder if you don't shake it, especially at lower temps. don't have to shake for 2 minutes. a good 15 seconds will de-powder it.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime9th April 2010, 3:33 pm

that's my problem. I shook for like 20 seconds. Can you define "spritzes"
Back to top Go down
RetroPengo
RetroPengo

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime9th April 2010, 3:36 pm

Criss cross motion, quick bursts of spray. Half a second each or so. Very quick so you don't waste spray in the air. It would be easier if I could show you some time. If you will be at chg tonigt with your spray and a model I could show you.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime9th April 2010, 3:43 pm

Come and look at my Rhino and Landraider. They were painted using short bursts of paint from about 8" distance.

They look awesome; even better than the Predator I painted using an airbrush.

I love the paint job; it has a better "glow" to it than the job I did with a white primer first.

I plan to carefully repaint all my other tanks using the Army Painter.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime12th April 2010, 1:41 pm

I'm still having a clumping issue, really distorting detail. I shook for 2 minutes, and sprayed from 20 cm in a zig zag motion, like it says on the site
Back to top Go down
RetroPengo
RetroPengo

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime12th April 2010, 1:43 pm

Must be a bad can then. Or you can try holding it upside down and spraying until the nozzle is clear (no paint will spray) and then try again.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime12th April 2010, 1:53 pm

Its funny you just posted that, because I did that just now and it worked. Three test models later, the coat seems to be decent (I wouldnt say GREAT)
Back to top Go down
RetroPengo
RetroPengo

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime12th April 2010, 1:56 pm

Remember to use super short bursts and layer it up a bit. Its quite thick. If you want to stop by my place tonight I can show you what I mean on my fex.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime12th April 2010, 2:28 pm

Yeah, let me see how the rest of my day looks. I'm about to go to work, then I'll see what I got going on
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime12th April 2010, 5:50 pm

Humidity and temp can play a role in it not working very well. What conditions are you spraying in?
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime12th April 2010, 6:37 pm

I'm spraying on my porch, so whatever the conditions have been today
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime14th April 2010, 1:51 am

didnt really get a lot of uses out of my can...I thought it was suppose to be able to paint 200 minis?
Back to top Go down
RetroPengo
RetroPengo

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime14th April 2010, 1:52 am

Yeah. you used way too much per model. hence the lack of detail. remember to spritz. Razz

besides, it's the "quickshade" that says 200 minis Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime14th April 2010, 1:55 am

GET ON STARCRAFT AND PLAY 2s WITH ME
Back to top Go down
RetroPengo
RetroPengo

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime14th April 2010, 1:58 am

I was asleep and my phone dinged at me. stupid insomnia emailing. back to sleep. stupid biomass waking me up.... ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime14th April 2010, 3:41 am

bdix wrote:
didnt really get a lot of uses out of my can...I thought it was suppose to be able to paint 200 minis?

Don't mean to sound mean but it must be an operator error.

I am using a can of Naval Blue for my Ultra SM and it looks beyond awesome. Much better than my airbrush and the blue that GW means for us to use on our Smurf Marines.

And I have at least 75% of my can left after painting two tanks all over. Granted, one was a Rhino but the other was a Landraider; which is a big model.

I can show you the technique because I am going to repaint two of my tanks tomorrow and I will leave one for you to watch if you want to.

The only other thing I can mention, which Big D already mentioned; is a weather factor.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime14th April 2010, 3:44 am

If you are spraying outside then it will be impossible to get a good even flow on the models. I am spraying down the hallway next to the back door at the shop so I don't rude other people out with the smell and that is how I am getting a good even job.

Now Retro is going to mention something about back doors and certain types of jobs done near them.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime14th April 2010, 3:35 pm

Yes he will. Yeah, I'd like to see it one more time...apparently Im a slow learner. Also, I'll need a couple more cans of that yellow spray lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Army Painter Question   Army Painter Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Army Painter Question
Page 1 of 1