Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade Empty
PostSubject: Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade   Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade Icon_minitime26th March 2010, 12:46 pm

I know I might be opening a can of worms here, but I have been using Minwax lately on a lot of models. I used it on the store copy of the Trygon and it looks great, if you like that sort of look. Some people prefer a sharper definition in their painting.

I just got in the Army Painter products this week and tried out the Quickshade on a mini last night. There is no comparison between the two products; the Quickshade wins more than just hands down. Retropengo looked at it and almost fell on the floor.

I realize that the pots are far more expensive than the Minwax ($29.99 vs $5.50 or so) but I am sure the pots will last quite a while. So will the Minwax as well, but the Quickshade is much thinner than the Minwax and does a far better job at going down in the cracks and providing that awesome look at shading and showing off the detail of the model.

Minwax is pretty thick and I have had some globbing issues with it whereas I had no such issue with the Quickshade.

In short, it is awesome; IMHO.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
Blarglord
Blind Ratling Sniper
Blarglord

PostSubject: Re: Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade   Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade Icon_minitime26th March 2010, 1:18 pm

I have seen alot of models with quickshade compared to ones using various other products. Quick shade always wins out IMO. I believe it is because Quickshade is made specifically for models is the reason for the cost. You definately get what you pay for.
Back to top Go down
darc_oso
Servitor with a short circuit
darc_oso

PostSubject: Re: Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade   Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade Icon_minitime26th March 2010, 1:44 pm

Blarglord wrote:
I have seen alot of models with quickshade compared to ones using various other products. Quick shade always wins out IMO. I believe it is because Quickshade is made specifically for models is the reason for the cost. You definately get what you pay for.

Has anyone tried thinning the minwax out a bit? Make it less globtastic? I wonder if Mineral Spirits would do the trick?....something to try...I'll let you know. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://darcoso.blogspot.com
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade   Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade Icon_minitime27th March 2010, 5:52 pm

You are welcome to try and thin Minwax with mineral spirits but I am sure you won't get the same effects as the Quickshade; it is a far superior product formulated for the small details that are on minis.

Just my opine.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
RetroPengo
Chaplain and a book full of sermons
Chaplain and a book full of sermons
RetroPengo

PostSubject: Re: Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade   Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade Icon_minitime30th March 2010, 5:49 am

I must concur. The quickshade seems to be far superior. I'm worried that thinning he minwax would make it too watery and it wouldn't grab well, or the mineral spirits would mess up the paint even a little.
Back to top Go down
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade   Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade Icon_minitime5th April 2010, 9:52 pm

quickshade 100% better. Just did my first model in it and definately looks much smoother on the shading
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade   Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Minwax vs Army painter Quickshade
Page 1 of 1