Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

stripping with simple green

Go down 
+3
big_d
Fulminata
bdix
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

stripping with simple green Empty
PostSubject: stripping with simple green   stripping with simple green Icon_minitime4th March 2010, 1:51 am

Ive been stripping my models with simple green for 3 days now. When i finally pulled them out, the undercoat was still on partially and when i put on a new primer, it was all tattered looking in spots. What am I doing wrong? I put the models back in the simple green
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: stripping with simple green   stripping with simple green Icon_minitime4th March 2010, 2:55 am

I've never used simple green. I know when using castrol super clean that I use an old toothbrush to help remove the paint that doesn't come off on it's own. Primer can sometimes be stubborn about coming off, after all its job is to stick to the figure!

I also make sure and thoroughly clean the models before applying a new coat of primer. If any of the paint removal solution remains it will seriously mess up the new paint.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: stripping with simple green   stripping with simple green Icon_minitime4th March 2010, 3:17 am

thats definately what happened. I realized this when i tried to prime two other models with all the paint removed and the new primer started bubbling.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: stripping with simple green   stripping with simple green Icon_minitime4th March 2010, 8:43 am

A rinse followed by a short soak in the sink with warm water and a little dish detergent followed by another rinse seems to do an adequate job of removing residue for me.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: stripping with simple green   stripping with simple green Icon_minitime4th March 2010, 11:15 am

I actually have some models in the Simple Green right now. Where did you get yours at? I looked at Wal-Mart in Bentonville about a week ago and they didn't have any. I had to order mine off of Amazon.

Are you using Simple Greeen right out of the bottle or did you dilute it down with any water? I find that if I dilute it at all I have major problems. Also be sure to scrub the models about once a day with an old toothbrush.

Most of the time I am not able to get ALL of the paint off, there is always a little bit left. I usually go at this with a hobby tool if it is very thick.

Be sure to wash them off with water too - I am sure that any residue would play havoc when trying to prime them.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: stripping with simple green   stripping with simple green Icon_minitime4th March 2010, 11:58 am

walmart on 6th in fayetteville has like 10 huge bottles of simple green
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: stripping with simple green   stripping with simple green Icon_minitime4th March 2010, 12:01 pm

what really sucks is I let those models sit for like 30 minutes after spraying them before I realized that they were all messed up. Now I have to re-simple green them to get off TWO primers
Back to top Go down
Bigjewmike
Space Marine Scout lost in the woods
Bigjewmike

PostSubject: Re: stripping with simple green   stripping with simple green Icon_minitime4th March 2010, 12:33 pm

I use Simple Green (can be found in the Automotive section of any Wal-Mart). I have a large tupperware container that I pour the Simple Green into. I then throw my plastic models into the stuff and let it sit for at least 24 hours. After that I take a toothbrush and scrub the hell out of them. Once I've done that, I rinse them off. Inspect them, and if need be throw them back into the Green for another 24 hours or so.

I've never had a problem with them.
Back to top Go down
Dannato
Spirit Guide to Lost Souls
Dannato

PostSubject: Re: stripping with simple green   stripping with simple green Icon_minitime4th March 2010, 2:10 pm

I've had pretty good luck with the concentrated simple green from Lowes.
Back to top Go down
Blarglord
Blind Ratling Sniper
Blarglord

PostSubject: Re: stripping with simple green   stripping with simple green Icon_minitime25th March 2010, 1:28 pm

I just bought some. What dilution ratio do you guys use. 1:10 or undiluted?
Back to top Go down
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought
Haren

PostSubject: Re: stripping with simple green   stripping with simple green Icon_minitime25th March 2010, 2:51 pm

Simple green you just use straight from the bottle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stripping with simple green   stripping with simple green Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stripping with simple green
Page 1 of 1