Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fast Playing Lists

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sweet E
Mordheim Master Bat(tl)er
Sweet E

Fast Playing Lists Empty
PostSubject: Fast Playing Lists   Fast Playing Lists Icon_minitime24th March 2013, 9:32 pm

I've mentioned to several folks that I want to have something that is fast and hard hitting for wargames con this year, so I'm going to start scheming in this thread. In another thread I discussed DA drop lists, so I won't go through it immediately here. I will say that I got drummed by a similar list at Meta this weekend.

My first list for discussion is a fast playing list from the recent daemon codex. Here's the rundown:

HQ
Bloodthirster - 290
2 x Greater

Skulltaker - 145
Juggernaut

Herald of Khorne - 135
Juggernaut, Lesser, Wrath

Herald of Nurgle - 70
Locus of Fec

Herald of Nurgle - 70
Locus of Fec

Fast
Flesh Hounds @15 - 270
Flesh Hounds @20 - 360

Troops
Plaguebearers@10 - 90
Plaguebearers@10 - 90
Plaguebearers@10 - 90

Heavy
Daemon Prince - 240
2 x Greater, Wings, MoK

It's 1850, right on the nose. I'd like to fit in another daemon prince to match the one in there at 240 pts. It would require me to drop a unit of Plaguebearers and a combination of 9 flesh hounds. I know either of these lists lack things, but I'm looking for it to play fast and stand a chance of tabling some folks.

Overall, it's a strait forward approach. Put skull taker and the herald each in a unit of flesh hounds and scout them forward. Fly the BT and DP forward. Play the heralds of Nurgle and plaguebearers conservatively to gain objectives by keeping them in cover until necessary.

Thoughts on the list and how to make it more effective? Keep in mind, I'm looking for fast playing and hard hitting.
Back to top Go down
Sweet E
Sweet E

Fast Playing Lists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fast Playing Lists   Fast Playing Lists Icon_minitime22nd April 2013, 9:57 pm

Due to the lack of responses for my first list, I'm assuming it's either a turd or it's perfect. I tried it out a couple times and wasn't a real big fan. As a result of that, I tried a bunch of new lists. After walking down that road, here's what I'm currently looking at:

CSM - Primary
Daemon Prince - 275
Tz, Black Mace, Wings, Armour, Gift of Mutation

Daemon Prince - 265
Khorne, Blinding Axe, Wings, Armour, Gift of Mutation

Cultist @10 - 50
Cultist @10 - 50

Heldrake w/BF - 170
Heldrake w/BF - 170

Daemons - Secondary
Keeper of Secrets -225
Exhaulted Reward, ML x2

Horrors @16 - 144
Horrors @16 - 144

Daemon Prince - 255
Slaanesh, 2xGR, Wings, Armour

Defense Line - 100
Quad Gun

This comes in at 1848 and should be fast playing, but still have some shooting. Skipping a phase wasn't working out very well for me.

Here's the plan: Take the portal glyph on the Keeper and let it gin out Horrors to throw at the opponent. Then sit the Keeper on the defense line to shoot that quad gun. Drop the units of horrors back there with the Keeper and have them shoot it up and shamble forward if the opponent tries to keep 24" away. The cultist are pure objective holders to be put behind the defense line.

The two CSM Princes are to push forward and whomp with. The khorne one is better against armour, while the tzeetnch one is an infantry slayer. The black mace is one of the most filthy weapons in the game. The last DP is more of the swiss army knife. It can take the lash to hit flyers, or tool up to fight in hand to hand. Finally, the heldrakes just come on and burn infantry down. I'm still torn on whether to run two flamers on them or put the cannon on one. The low BS is just a killer on the cannon.

I'm going to give this a try this week and think it will fair pretty well. I still feel like I might need a soul grinder and a Nurgle Daemon Prince, but you just can't have it all. What are others thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Sweet E
Sweet E

Fast Playing Lists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fast Playing Lists   Fast Playing Lists Icon_minitime14th June 2013, 10:23 pm

Post Game Analysis

So I took a list very similar to the one above to Wargames Con and just wanted to let everyone know how it did. The only major difference in what I took and what's above is I cut the number of horrors to 11 each and added magic to the Keeper and DP of Slaanesh.

Overal, I did quite well making the top 16 tables for the first time, but the list certainly could have been better. First off, I didn't have near enough troops. The portal glyph made some and kept me afloat, but I sure could have used some more. Next, I need at least a little high strength shooting added in. I went up against a good bit of Armour 13 <read Necrons> on the top tables and just couldn't handle it that well.

So for current tournament list building, I would look at either running necrons or being very prepared to deal with them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fast Playing Lists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fast Playing Lists   Fast Playing Lists Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fast Playing Lists
Page 1 of 1