Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2500 Ogre List

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime31st December 2012, 5:06 pm

This weekend I made a deal for a pretty solid Ogre army, all but a handful of guys are unassembled (off the sprue in a box). And it appears all of the bits are intact. He already had a pair of Mournfang partially assembled/painted. There's also a Battalion box, a Stonehorn, the Army Book, and the Ogre Spell deck. I ordered a box of Mournfangs and already had an Ironblaster box collecting dust so I figured I'd throw a list together and see what I could reasonably put together.

Let me know what you think.

-----------------------

2500 pts, 32 models, 7 units

Slaughtermaster (General, Level 4 Upgrade, Ironfist)
■ Fencer's Blades
■ Dispel Scroll

Bruiser (BSB, Ironfist)
■ Sword of Might
■ Dragonbane Gem
■ Deathcheater

7 Ogres (Mus, Std, Lookout Gnoblar, Ironfists)
*Slaughtermaster goes here.*

7 Ironguts (FC, Lookout Gnoblar)
■ Razor Standard
*Bruiser goes here.*

6 Maneaters (Mus, Std, Lookout Gnoblar)
3 Brace of Pistols, 3 Ogre Pistols
■ Poisoned Attacks
■ Sniper
■ Banner of Eternal Flame

4 Leadbelchers

4 Mournfang Cavalry (Mus, Std, Ironfist, Heavy Armor)
■ Dragonhide Banner

Ironblaster

Stonehorn
■ Harpoon Launcher

-----------------------
Back to top Go down
http://srsbusiness.org
Sweet E
Mordheim Master Bat(tl)er
Sweet E

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime2nd January 2013, 11:32 am

I'm no expert in the realm of fantasy, but that looks like a solid list. Lots of folks are running bigger blocks of Ogres than you are here, and many are running two ironblasters. Those items are real nasty though, so they are frowned upon in some fantasy circles. I don't think you'll be dissapointed in any Ogres list though, they are all pretty strong.

On more of a sales pitch note, I was going to build Ogres and decided not to, so I have about 20 Ogres bodies I would love to sell. If you have any interest, just PM me.
Back to top Go down
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime2nd January 2013, 2:04 pm

This is the list I run actually. The only difference is that I run 2 sabertusks and have more upgrades on my slaughermaster and bruiser. It hits like a truck.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime2nd January 2013, 3:01 pm

I was thinking after a game or two I'll probably drop the Razor Standard from the Ironguts and work in a couple of Sabretusks. I like the idea of going 4 wide on the Ogres and Guts, but we'll see. I could always shave a few points there if need be for a Firebelly or something. The Maneaters and the Stonehorn I'm particularly interested in, I've got a feeling this will be a fun army.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime3rd January 2013, 7:30 pm

The maneaters are okay. I run them just because I modeled them and now feel obligated to use them. Sometimes they ruin someones day, sometimes they are just overpriced ogres. The stonehorn is going to destroy anything it hits, just depends on if it gets there.
Back to top Go down
ares
T-Shirt Explosion Owner
ares

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime4th January 2013, 12:52 pm

Problem with the stonehorn is that unless you combo charge with something else, everything is going to be steadfast against him. Also an entire model with WS 3 is not the greatest. You must pick on infantry or warbeasts as Thunderstomp is one of his saving graces.
Back to top Go down
http://tshirtexplosion.com
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime4th January 2013, 12:56 pm

Yeah, part of what I'm thinking with the Stonehorn is hitting flanks with him, probably units engaged with the Bulls. I am thinking more though about using a Thundertusk, that Aura seems like it would be mean as hell. And it still hits hard.
Back to top Go down
ares
T-Shirt Explosion Owner
ares

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime4th January 2013, 1:34 pm

problem with Thundertusk is it dies to cannons and shooting. Stonehorn only takes half wounds from things, like cannons, that do multiple wounds. Both suffer greatly from poisioned shooting as neither have a save worth anything. However, if they are shooting at it, they are not shooting at my walking ogres.
Back to top Go down
http://tshirtexplosion.com
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime4th January 2013, 6:09 pm

Yeah, that's the conundrum Ares. Theoretically, I can see double tusk for a horde list. And though I'm sure that would be fun once in a while, it's not how I prefer to play. I initially chose the Stonehorn because frankly I like the way it looks, I've wanted to paint one since I first saw it. Also, I see it being a bit easier to manage for a beginner to Ogres. Ultimately, the tusk is more fragile and requires more finesse to use properly (so, I'll eventually add one to my tribe).

After Shiloh I'll be looking more intently at the Ogres (and the Vampires). I think both armies are going to be a lot of fun to play and convert. I should have my Ogres here by middle of next week, my shelf is filling up with projects pretty fast.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime5th January 2013, 8:53 pm

The other - bigger - problem with using the stonehorn as a flanker is frenzy. It's very hard to get the set ups you can need sometimes to combo charge if your combo frenzies off after a handful of dogs.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime5th January 2013, 8:57 pm

Hmm, good point wood.

I know I'm definitely going to put together about 3 Sabretusks, I'm just deciding on what models I want to use (not a fan of the current ones). I saw one that looked sweet as hell last night, but the company in question only has 1 model, so I'd have to do some serious reposing/conversion to make three that look a little different from one another.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime15th January 2013, 3:05 pm

I think I've changed my mind on a starting list, I'm thinking this will be better for getting used to Ogres.

-----------------------

2498 pts, 31 models, 11 units, 3 characters.

Slaughtermaster (Level 4, General)
+ Lore of the Great Maw
■ Fencer's Blades
■ Glittering Scales

Bruiser (Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, Battle Standard Bearer)
+ Lookout Gnoblar
■ Dragonbane Gem
■ Crown of Command

Firebelly (Great Weapon, Level 1)
+ Lore of Fire
■ Hell Heart

5 Ironguts (Mus, Std)
+ Lookout Gnoblar
■ Standard of Discipline
*Characters go in this unit 4x2 formation...*

6 Ogres (Ironfists, Mus, Std)
+ Lookout Gnoblar

6 Ogres (Ironfists, Mus, Std)
+ Lookout Gnoblar

3 Ogre Mournfang Cavalry (Ironfists, Heavy Armor, Mus)

3 Ogre Mournfang Cavalry (Ironfists, Heavy Armor, Mus)

Sabretusk

Sabretusk

Sabretusk

Ironblaster

Stonehorn
■ Harpoon Launcher

-----------------------

This list will likely fit my MSU playstyle a bit better, I'm anxious to get some games in with this next month after I get it in fighting shape.

P.S. Woodrow, did you get your Chaos Dwarves? Anxious to see how they turned out.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime15th January 2013, 3:08 pm

I did indeed! The first half have arrived in full glory. Let me know when want to square off on them.

As for the list itself, ill .02 it when I get home. Just some minor observations
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime15th January 2013, 4:03 pm

I played a tournament this last weekend using the stonehorn. It is really situational and most of the time didn't deliver for its points. I'd say the same about maneaters too. I like the small units of bulls, and I think they will be good for you. I'd make the ironguts twice that size. People are going to target them, and you will have ALOT of points in that unit with the slaughtermaster. 4 ogres will die pretty easy, then they can pick off your 400 point level 4.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime15th January 2013, 4:18 pm

Maybe so, I'm also considering the possibility of dropping the Stonehorn in favor of a second unit of Leadbelchers (really trying not to go double cannon) and adding some more Ironguts. I've also considered the possibility of using a Butcher rather than a Firebelly for some different Lore options. But we'll see after I get some games in. My main goal is to have about 10/11 drops from the beginning.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime15th January 2013, 5:55 pm

I think a unit of leadbelchers would go nicely in place on stonehorn. Leadbelchers are great in that they are bulls with versatility.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime15th January 2013, 8:51 pm

Characters don't seem survival in this build. I'm assuming that you're planning on using the slaughter master to tank a challenge since all the characters are going in one block - but he's not really super survivable. A tooled up combat character should still 1 round him.

As per what bdix touched on - you're going to get character sniped a lot in this build. You have to have 5 rank and file to take a LoS. Your ironguts take a single casualty and you're out of them on your ironguts. Minus the LoS from the gnoblar. Is that all ogres in the unit or just the ironguts? Can't recall.

Two 3s of mournfangs, 3 cats, and a stonehorn all look fun. It'll give a lot of headaches to some players trying to deal with all that blitzing. Could be the answer to character sniping, if you give them too many targets...

Anyways. Looks fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2500 Ogre List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2500 Ogre List   2500 Ogre List Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2500 Ogre List
Page 1 of 1