Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ogre impressions!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Ogre impressions! Empty
PostSubject: Ogre impressions!   Ogre impressions! Icon_minitime6th September 2011, 7:25 pm

So i've been drafting and re-drafting lists...but I thought I would post Ogre thoughts like I know things!

-Tyrants are no longer required so you will NEVER see another one ever again. The overpriced items aren't going to be purchased, so you don't need someone to carry an 85 pt Thundermace. I'd rather have two naked Bruisers than a single tyrant.

-New lores! Death is still subpar, but Beasts is a fantastic pick for Ogres. I still like the Lvl4 on Maw because more of the Maw spells are useful and you really only need the sig spell out of Beasts. The fire mage is 'cute' but I can't see taking him regularly.

-Maw. It's ok! I like a lot of the spells, but the ogres being 'wizards' now hurts more than you think at first glance.

-Magic items. Garbage! Move on. I'd like the siegebreaker if it cost 45 points. The hellheart looks fun, but I would never take it RAW. If they had made it 5d6 instead of a d6x5 - i'd be worth the 50 point investment. I understand that you're more likely to get the 30" range as written, but I will never roll it, so I hate it.

-Cheaperish ogres! Still not going to be seeing 'blocks' of Ogres and Ironguts, but you now reliably get in 6 or 7 without spending too much.

-Special is really interesting this time around. I think Yhetees and Gorgers will still see some play as most people have them in existing armies, but I think they are lower on the power level. Leadbelchers got a big bump up. I'm a big fan of the cats - 21 pts for a single kitten run around and redirect. Ld4 w/o a reroll hurts against terror causers..but.....could be fun. Maneaters took a big hit on the allocation front, but I still enjoy the doom snipers.

-Mournfang cav. I really want to like these guys. 2+ armor save, 7 str 4 attacks....I just don't know. Points are really at a premium in an Ogre army and that can be a lot down the drain if you overextend them. Ldr8, no ward save or magic protection makes them a vulnerable target. People are comparing them to bloodcrushers, but they fail in a large area compared to bloodcrushers IMHO. I think a smart player that hold them close to the line can put a lot of hurt out.

-Rare will see the exit of the scraplauncher. It's just not going to hold up to the new choices. It'll be between the Stonehorn and the Thundertusk. I think the Tusk looks better on paper for the ASL aura, but due to size and placement, you'll be hard pressed to get a ton of mileage out of it. I like the Stonehorn myself. On average rolling you can take out a fair amount of t3/t4 infantry and I think it gives the ogres a very good hammer.

Anyways. Just my .02. I really can't wait to see the new book in action.
Back to top Go down
RockWars
Flashlight toting Guardsman
RockWars

Ogre impressions! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ogre impressions!   Ogre impressions! Icon_minitime13th December 2011, 11:22 am

I would really like to hear your impressions several months later.

Also the FAQ is up, and overall I think it is exactly what players expected and clarified things as needed.

My comments on what you said.

- I mostly agree about the tyrant, though there are some builds I've done/seen that make a tyrant so stinking nasty.

-I like beasts and maw.

- The Firebelly does have a place, he gives a higher initiative flaming attack, couple his breath weapon with the ini10 sword and have a decently powerful way to remove regen if needed.

- I agree with the 5d6 on the hellheart, but getting close to the enemy and then causing a Slann/Greater Daemon/lvl4 to take that miscast can potentially win games, in fact it can't hurt at all.

- Well it seems we are seeing the "blocks" of Bulls and Ironguts. I think the huge blocks with runemaw just got amazing with the new FAQ.

- Not sure how I feel about Yhettes but like having 1 gorger to just mess with stuff in the backfield. Definitely love the Leadbelchers, and agree about the cats.

- 12 mournfang is basically unstoppable

- I personally like the scraplauncher just because, but agree it isn't the best choice. The Ironblaster is simply amazing, 2 is even better and for Tournament play I think the stonehorn is the best option due to minimizing cannon/thrower damage.

Still interesting to see it all played, and will be even more fun once I get mine assembled.

Anyone else?

Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Ogre impressions! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ogre impressions!   Ogre impressions! Icon_minitime13th December 2011, 9:15 pm

Yeah. With the book being out for a while now, i'm definitely seeing some shifts in some of my original points of view.

All in all I rate the Ogres a B+. I think they are top dog of the 8th ed books, but still being under the current power armies until they get their updates.

That FAQ is crazy btw. "Hey, we messed up and we're going to let is slide but when we redo the book in 3-5 years it won't be in there so DONT get used to it, alright!?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ogre impressions! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ogre impressions!   Ogre impressions! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ogre impressions!
Page 1 of 1