Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Space Wolves are going to eat your face!

Go down 
+5
Wildeyedjester
Bikeninja
Fletch
deletethisuser
Monkey
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet

Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime25th September 2009, 5:00 pm

I like those in the second set. I just wonder if they're the right size. Do you think they'd be comparable to Canis's mount in size?
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime25th September 2009, 5:05 pm

Hey monkey I found a wolf from the same set that's almost guaranteed to be bigger. The only downside? It doesn't have anything saddle-like... Now if you didn't want one it may be perfect. I've been considering throwing a few Thunderwolf Cavalry together just for shits and giggles, and this is what I was planning on using.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/inc/sdetail/357308
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime25th September 2009, 9:37 pm

Monkey wrote:
I like those in the second set. I just wonder if they're the right size. Do you think they'd be comparable to Canis's mount in size?

Isn't Canis' mount huge? I don't think they are the same size. I haven't seen the actual model of Canis' mount yet but I think they are slightly smaller.

Those riders are roughly equivalent to an Empire Fast Cav handgunner so I am pretty sure those wolves are horse sized, roughly.

Last edited by gamewizard on 25th September 2009, 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime25th September 2009, 9:40 pm

I believe all those wolves are on 40mm round bases.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime25th September 2009, 9:42 pm

They are, I've painted up several of the CO models. They are way cool, if only I was into Warmachine.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime25th September 2009, 11:35 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, Canis is on a 60mm base, and with stats comparable to fiends my guess is that they belong on a 40mm base.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime27th September 2009, 12:08 am

Based on the pictures, Canis' mount is larger, but that's probably OK, because from the fluff I've seen so far his mount is supposed to be larger.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime27th September 2009, 7:45 am

It just occurred to me that Bloodcrushers use a 60mm base... That said I've always thought the Thunder Wolves would be comparable in size. I guess the 60mm base would probably be the right way to go, although that sounds like it would still be pretty ridiculously large. : \ Then again, the Bloodcrushers look about right so I can't see why the TWolves would be any different.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime27th September 2009, 10:25 am

I'm positive my Heralds on Juggernauts came on 40mm bases.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime27th September 2009, 10:42 am

GW site says otherwise "Supplied with both 60mm round and 50mm square bases".
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime27th September 2009, 11:10 am

Fantastic!

I was wondering where I'd get the last dreadnought base I needed. Looks like a phone call is in order.
Back to top Go down
deletethisuser
Blind Ratling Sniper
deletethisuser

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9th October 2009, 12:49 am

Got my codex and this is what I am thinking of building. Make go through a few revisions in my head before I even buy some plastic, but I like the fluff of the list. Because it is a fluffy list, if I wanted to power game like crazy I would not try to do so with the wolves to be honest.

Here goes!
Ragnar Blackmane 240
Wolf Guard Terminator Armor, Twin Wolf Claws 48
Terminator Armor, Thunder Hammer 48
Power Fist 38
Power Fist 38
Power Fist 38
Combi-Melta 23
Combi-Flamer 23
Combi-Flamer 23
Terminator Armor, Cyclone 63
Terminator Armor, Cyclone 63
Drop Pod 35

9 Grey Hunters Melta gun, Wolf Standard, Mark of the Wulfen 165 With Power Fist Wolf Guard
Drop Pod 35

9 Grey Hunters Melta gun, Wolf Standard, Mark of the Wulfen 165 With Power Fist Wolf Guard
Drop Pod 35

Wolf Priest 100
8 Blood Claws Melta gun 125 With Power Fist Wolf Guard
Drop Pod 35

3 Long Wolfs 2 Missile Launchers 65 With Cyclone Wolf Guard
3 Long Wolfs 2 Laser Cannons 95 With Cyclone Wolf Guard

Let me have it, am I insane or brilliant (yeah right:))? And yes, nothing is in a panzer-taxi. Because the wolves are tough! They are kind of the Emperor's answer to Orks :)
Back to top Go down
http://flekkzo.blogspot.com
Bikeninja
Grot Squig Herder
Bikeninja

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9th October 2009, 2:46 am

I'm thinking eccentric not brilliant. Tough list but I think you will get chewed to pieces against a shooty army. The long fangs pack some punch but they can't take one so well. If you want fluff then you simply have to have a Lone Wolf. They are just way to disgustingly cool to not have one in the army.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9th October 2009, 12:26 pm

Overall, it seems pretty solid, few things I would change though. First being Ragnar, I really like him fluff wise, but in game the lack of EW and only T4 makes him very vulnerable to instant death. For 240 points I'd expect something to make him more survivable, but as it is, any SM with a PF or an Ork with Klaw could drop him at one wound. That's why I personally prefer either Canis, who is cheaper but can't ride in one of your pods, or 2 Rune Priests with JotWW and whatever other ability you toss 'em, don't forget to take advantage of your special Space Puppy HQ limitation(or lack thereof). On into the Wolf Guard, you've got them reasonably built, and the only thing I have a small problem with (besides an irrational distaste for the Cyclone Launcher in all it's forms) is the single Combi-Melta. From my personal experience 1 single Melta shot, that will statistically miss 1/3 of the time, is ineffective. However you also don't want to lose the Anti-Horde abilities of your Combi-Flamers, so it basically comes down to personal preference. My opinion though would be to run 2 Combi-Melta 1 Combi-Flamer, especially with the mech heavy builds out there. I like the troops, it's unfortunate that in order to take a Wolf Guard that you need to sacrifice that second special weapon though Sad . Now, for your Long Fangs, if I were to run them I would take advantage of the ability to split their fire and combine them into one 8 man unit(Squad Leader, 6 Long Fangs, and the Guard) with 3 Heavy Bolters(5pt HBolters is nuts, not to mention great for horde cleanup), 2 Las/Plas Cannons(personal preference for me would be Las) and 1 Multi-Melta. That would leave you with one stray Wolf Guard, but he could be re-outfitted to fit back in the with rest of the Guard, or just Dropped to get upgrades for your other units, like maybe a rhino or Pod for the Long Fangs.

I know that looks like a wall of "I don't like this" but mostly I'm just not a fan of Ragnar, and that solo Combi-Melta. Your Long Fangs would work well as is, but I just can't find a reason to pass up 5pt Heavy Bolters en masse, especially knowing you can split them. I've gotta say, I'm a little surprised that the TWolf Cavalry didn't make your list.
Back to top Go down
deletethisuser
Blind Ratling Sniper
deletethisuser

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9th October 2009, 1:49 pm

Bikeninja wrote:
I'm thinking eccentric not brilliant. Tough list but I think you will get chewed to pieces against a shooty army. The long fangs pack some punch but they can't take one so well. If you want fluff then you simply have to have a Lone Wolf. They are just way to disgustingly cool to not have one in the army.

A lone wolf would be an excellent way to bring the list up to 1750 points as well as boosting the long fangs to full squads. It sure will require some thought to play a list like this, but I can't help it. I just like to play a list that is fluffy and wolfy. I also like to play a list without vehicles as my fists have some of that.

I guess I will just have to take the hit so I can paint something I like:)
Back to top Go down
deletethisuser
Blind Ratling Sniper
deletethisuser

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9th October 2009, 2:09 pm

There is a disturbing lack of EW all around with the Space Wolves for sure. I guess I will just have to hope for some luck and that I can beat enough of his guys with my mad slaughtering wolf guard. Maybe I should outfit the second terminator with dual claws instead of the thunder hammer and turn all my combi weapons to melta. Maybe even give someone a meltabomb (for anti-tankshock). Thoughts? No point in taking it half way, I just will have to kill off whole squads :)

Also I could keep two lists and make one more though and one more fluffy. For instance with rune priests.

Interesting ideas about the fangs btw. I have to mess around a bit with the loads. I really like how they made them more viable. Only problem is lack of fearless. And they are a nice break from armor:)

All good points. Gave me food for thought. Good thing I'm doing the list before buying anything:)
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9th October 2009, 3:20 pm

For the people complaining about lacking EW : very very few armies have it. Most have it on one model, typically a special character. Only Tyranids and Demons are really the exception.
Back to top Go down
deletethisuser
Blind Ratling Sniper
deletethisuser

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9th October 2009, 4:57 pm

I'll be damned. Only two indipendant characters in the Space Marine codex has the Eternal Warrior rule. There isn't a day one won't learn something new it seems:)

Either way Ragnar is cool and that is enough for me.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9th October 2009, 7:21 pm

Don't forget, Saga of the Bear gives EW. While there are better sagas, as you get toward 4 HQs, you will eventually use it.
Back to top Go down
deletethisuser
Blind Ratling Sniper
deletethisuser

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime9th October 2009, 7:32 pm

4 HQs are a lot of points though. But good call on the saga. It's worth looking into for sure:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Space Wolves are going to eat your face!   Space Wolves are going to eat your face! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Space Wolves are going to eat your face!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2