Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

campaign maps

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bsmoove
Servitor with a short circuit
bsmoove

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime6th August 2009, 10:42 am

Hello. I was wondering if anyone out there could help me find a good resource for making, or preferably cutting and pasting, a specific kind of campaign map. I'm looking for something very similar to what I've attached below, but that has a significantly high resolution and that could be printed on a posterboard or somesuch. I know this is a rather particular request, but if you don't ask, you don't get, right?
Back to top Go down
bsmoove
bsmoove

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime6th August 2009, 10:43 am

ok. So I don't think that image transfer worked at all. Let me try again.
Back to top Go down
bsmoove
bsmoove

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime6th August 2009, 10:51 am

Apologies. I am very, very new to this and I'm not having much luck. Basically, I was trying to attach an image that looks very much like the map on p.235 of the 4th edition 40K rulebook. Preferably, I'm looking for something that doesn't have any writing, but is just a blank map of a cityscape like the one pictured there. Mostly, I'm trying to find something that I can blow up to posterboard size (say 2 sq/ft) and laminate. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime6th August 2009, 11:19 am

When I start up my campaign I'm going to use random nifty areas off google map and photoshop to rename that areas all 40k style.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime6th August 2009, 12:32 pm

Honestly, the best thing to do would be to get the Warhammer Fantasy Mighty Empires and the new 40k version they are coming out with. You can paint the tiles to what you want and they are reusable. They are also sturdy enough you can use thumbtacks to hold them to a wall to display your campaign map. There are rules in the box for campaigns. One of the versions that I thought would be fun to try was use X tiles to make a starting map, players pick a "Home Location" on the map to work from, then when the players show up each week, or however often you want to play, they each pick one of the leftover tiles to add to the map for more territories to fight over.

The General's Compendium is a book for fantasy, but there's no reason why you couldn't easily adapt the campaign rules for 40k. Also rules for fighting on different battlefields like volcanic, ice fields, and chaotic ones. This is an older book, so not sure where to find it. Might be able to find on a torrent somewhere. While I don't recommend this, since this book is out of print, might be the easiest way to find it. It did come with a map and campaign markers if you can find one complete.
Back to top Go down
bsmoove
bsmoove

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: the general's compendium   campaign maps Icon_minitime6th August 2009, 6:49 pm

That's an excellent tip. The General's compendium might be just what I'm looking for. Do you remember, by chance, when it first appeared? The markers and all that would be fantastic. I'm also very interested in the hexes that are being released soon for 40K.

The only problem is that this map is for a campaign within a campaign, and so I'm looking specifically for a city map. The hexes will work perfectly for the planet or territories or whatever that make up the larger campaign, but we are looking for a map to represent a city, which will be the culmination of the rest of the campaign.

I knew that this was going to be a long shot, but I figured perhaps someone would have one sitting around.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime6th August 2009, 8:38 pm

I'm just getting ready to go out, but if no one beats me to it, I'll dig out my copy later and give you the copyright date.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime7th August 2009, 12:03 am

The General's Compendium has a copyright date of 2003.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime7th August 2009, 12:15 am

Several of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels and the Cain novels have maps of cities in them. I have most of the novels if you want to pursue that angle. They are rudimentary maps but might be what you are looking for. Also Titanicus has a map of the Martian cities in it IIRC.

Nice mini, by the way. Did you paint that?
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
bsmoove
bsmoove

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime7th August 2009, 12:30 am

Thank you. That's a great tip, as I have a few of the novels that you've mentioned.

And than you again, yes. I painted this Ogre as a test model for an army that I've never quite managed to finish...
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime7th August 2009, 1:30 am

Another option is to use real world city maps. Many of the maps that you see in gaming products began as either historical or modern day maps of real cities.
Back to top Go down
bsmoove
bsmoove

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime7th August 2009, 4:34 pm

I may have found a reasonable solution to my own question, and thought it best to share in case any of you are in a similar situation.
On a D&D site, I found a link called "map-a-week" and they have all kinds of useful stuff. The archives in particular had some interesting leads. I was even quite surprised to see the different levels of resolution so that I might actually be able to enlarge the files and print them on posterboard. All in all, I was surprised to find something that looks manageable.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mwa/archive2004

Fingers crossed that this works. In the mean time, thanks for all the useful tips. I hope to write back when I've got something up and running (and when I learn how to attach images).
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime10th August 2009, 5:17 pm

Or you can get one of the dry erase maps and draw your own stuff on it. I have a couple and they work great.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime10th August 2009, 7:23 pm

Also the Dark Heresy books have some good maps. Search the scenarios on the FFG website; they may have a good hive city map for you.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
bsmoove
bsmoove

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime21st August 2009, 6:47 pm

I have found the answer to my question: wargamevaults.com
Although I initially wanted to find something for free, wargame vaults has all the maps I could ask for. In fact, I just bought something very much like the city map that I was looking for at $1.65, which isn't too bad. The title was Oone maps: The Great City. Perfect for my needs.
I'm also thinking about picking up some maps they have under the "Armada" title that I hope to use if possible for the new Space Hulk (although these maps go for about $5-7).
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime21st August 2009, 11:50 pm

If you're talking about the Future Armada line of starship plans then I just have to say that they're about the best set of starship plans I've ever run across. I've purchased the whole line just to look at (although I got most of them on sale). If anyone is running a sci-fi RPG and wants some good deck plans, check them out. He has everything from PC class merchant ships to space stations in that line.

Oh yeah, and it's apparently wargamevault.com, not wargamevaults.com... just to help anyone else out who wants to check them out. They appear to be part of the RPGNow, DriveThruRPG network of sites.
Back to top Go down
bsmoove
bsmoove

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime21st August 2009, 11:58 pm

doh. my bad.

www.wargamevault.com

Apologies.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime22nd August 2009, 12:09 am

No problem, just wanted to make it easier for anyone else checking them out. I don't know how they'd work for Space Hulk, but I'd highly recommend them for anyone running a Sci Fi campaign with Star Wars/Serenity/Traveller scale PC starships. The artist that did those was also responsible for the deck plans in the Serenity RPG.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

campaign maps Empty
PostSubject: Re: campaign maps   campaign maps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

campaign maps
Page 1 of 1