Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warriors or Marauders?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

Warriors or Marauders? Empty
PostSubject: Warriors or Marauders?   Warriors or Marauders? Icon_minitime4th October 2012, 1:06 pm

I'm looking for some advice guys, I've been playing around with a list. So far I've got several games in with the first list, and it's done quite well. But one thing I've noticed everytime, the Marauders get absolutely slaughtered. Every game, without fail. Sometimes, this is definitely a good thing. Screening more important units like my Chariots, Dragon Ogres, etc from enemy fire. The problem is, I don't think they've even dealt a single wound in any of the games I've played.

On the other hand, my Warriors have proven themselves more than capable both defensively and offensively. A quick look in Army Builder showed me that for the price of the two units of Marauders I could add another unit of Warriors with the Banner of Eternal Flame, giving me a little extra oomph against VC, trolls, etc.

So my question is, do you guys think it's worth the trade off? Here's a look at both variations of the list for reference...

--------------------------------------------------

DOUBLE WARRIORS
2497 pts, 65 models, 10 units (+2 independents).

Esmer the Living Flame, Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch (Level 4 Upgrade, MoT)
■ Charmed Shield
■ Infernal Puppet
■ Necrotic Phylactery

Hinge the Mad, Exalted Hero of Tzeentch (BSB) (Shield, BSB, MoT)
+ Chaos Steed
■ Warrior Bane
■ Talisman of Endurance

Damien the Twice Blessed, Exalted Hero of Tzeentch (Shield, MoT)
■ Disk of Tzeentch
■ Biting Blade
■ Talisman of Preservation
■ Bloodcurdling Roar

5 Chaos Warhounds

5 Chaos Warhounds

5 The Pleasureseekers, Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh (Flails, Spears, Mus, MoS)

15 Chaos Warriors of Tzeentch (Halberds, Shields, FC, MoT)
■ Banner of Rage

■ Banner of Eternal Flame

11 The Immortals, Chosen of Tzeentch (Shields, FC, MoT)
Sorcerer goes with this unit.
■ Favour of the Gods *Champion*
■ Wailing Banner

Chaos Chariot

Chaos Chariot

3 Dragon Ogres (Great Weapons)

Chaos Warshrine

DOUBLE MARAUDERS
2498 pts, 98 models, 11 units (+2 independents).

Esmer the Living Flame, Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch (Level 4 Upgrade, MoT)
■ Charmed Shield
■ Infernal Puppet
■ Necrotic Phylactery

Hinge the Mad, Exalted Hero of Tzeentch (BSB) (Shield, BSB, MoT)
+ Chaos Steed
■ Warrior Bane
■ Talisman of Endurance

Damien the Twice Blessed, Exalted Hero of Tzeentch (Shield, MoT)
■ Disk of Tzeentch
■ Biting Blade
■ Talisman of Preservation
■ Bloodcurdling Roar

5 Chaos Warhounds

5 Chaos Warhounds

5 The Pleasureseekers, Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh (Flails, Spears, Mus, MoS)

■ Banner of Rage

24 Marauders of Khorne (Mus, Std, Flails)

24 Marauders of Khorne (Mus, Great Weapons)

11 The Immortals, Chosen of Tzeentch (Shields, FC, MoT)
Sorcerer goes with this unit.
■ Favour of the Gods *Champion*
■ Wailing Banner

Chaos Chariot

Chaos Chariot

3 Dragon Ogres (Great Weapons)

Chaos Warshrine

The big advantage with the Marauders is in deployment and screening my other troops. At the same time, they can cause problems when trying to maneuver (because a mass of nearly 50 marauders can sometimes get in the way).

If you read the whole thing, I think you can understand I keep going back and forth on this lol. There's other things, obviously it's easier to paint 15 Warriors than it is to paint so many Marauders. But I'm at the point where the Marauders/Warriors are the last thing I really need to paint to finish this list up. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
http://srsbusiness.org
Bane
Chaos Marine covered in styrofoam spiky bits
Bane

PostSubject: Re: Warriors or Marauders?   Warriors or Marauders? Icon_minitime4th October 2012, 2:25 pm

Saw 2 lists at RockWars running Marauders that did well. You have to run them in hordes though, 40-50 strong. 25 won't do anything to anyone.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: Warriors or Marauders?   Warriors or Marauders? Icon_minitime4th October 2012, 4:22 pm

I don't expect the Marauders to wipe out units, their job really is to add more multi charges, strip steadfast, and screen the big baddies. In this they work, I just wish they'd kill something. Anything. I've started painting the Marauders with Flails today, should have them finished next week then I'll knock out the Warriors in a day to break things up and probably a unit of Marauder Horsemen. Then, I'll finish up with the GW Marauders. I just have to figure out if I'm going to stick with the Marauders like I have been or drop them for a second unit of Warriors.

I'm still on the fence, but either way I should have everything painted by the time the baby gets here next month (should being the most important part of that sentence).
Back to top Go down
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Warriors or Marauders?   Warriors or Marauders? Icon_minitime5th October 2012, 9:06 am

I'd wipe a 25 man unit of marauders with no problem. Even if I didn't, I'd hit them so hard the first round that they wouldn't get full attacks back at me. A block of 50-60, however, can receive a full on charge from pretty much any unit in the game and return full attacks from a 10 wide horde. That is going to crush almost anything in the game on odds.
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

PostSubject: Re: Warriors or Marauders?   Warriors or Marauders? Icon_minitime5th October 2012, 4:01 pm

You could move points around, and make a unit of 35-40 Khorne Marauders. I run my K. Marauders at 35 (7 wide and 5 deep,) and I have had plenty of success with them. The number of ranks usually ensures staying power, and the width allow max attacks against 5+ wide units on 25mm bases or 6+ wide 20mm bases They die almost every game, but almost always take a unit with them. It is cheaper than the 50-60 unit, and should allow for another small unit of 10-15 warriors. Also, 10 wide units become harder to maneuver and fit into a solid battle line.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Warriors or Marauders?   Warriors or Marauders? Icon_minitime6th October 2012, 11:05 am

The dude who destroyed me at rock wars had something close to this:
2x50 man marauder
12x knights
10-15 man unit of warriors
Level 4 in that unit of warriors
Altar
Some varying degree of nastiness mounted in that unit of knights
Back to top Go down
Bane
Bane

PostSubject: Re: Warriors or Marauders?   Warriors or Marauders? Icon_minitime10th October 2012, 11:09 am

Was that Chapman or Ben Floyd?

Floyd destroyed me round 2.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Warriors or Marauders?   Warriors or Marauders? Icon_minitime10th October 2012, 11:08 pm

Floyd. I guess I handed him to you after he rocked me haha.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: Warriors or Marauders?   Warriors or Marauders? Icon_minitime11th October 2012, 1:14 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, I've decided to go with the Marauders for now. One unit is nearly painted already, once things settle down here I'll have no trouble knocking out the second unit and the Warriors. So, I'll have a variety of things I can run if need be. But in general, I'm going more for an MSU list right now and this seems to be working just fine.

Double Horde+Knights hits hard as hell. I've got a similar list I'm planning on a bit later, but a lot of it depends on what GW does with the new army book / rules.
Back to top Go down
Bane
Bane

PostSubject: Re: Warriors or Marauders?   Warriors or Marauders? Icon_minitime11th October 2012, 4:30 pm

Probably. He walked all over me. Something about Bubousing my VLord off because I am fail at making ward saves or dispels...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warriors or Marauders?   Warriors or Marauders? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warriors or Marauders?
Page 1 of 1