Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bugeater 2011 - analysis

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Bugeater 2011 - analysis  Empty
PostSubject: Bugeater 2011 - analysis    Bugeater 2011 - analysis  Icon_minitime25th March 2012, 10:39 pm

I know a few of the local WFBers are looking at going to Bugeater and chomping at the bit to get the finalized comp pack and primer. I thought with that looking forward and kicking off our tournament season i'd give my .02 on last year's event and my opinions on the individual missions.

Scenario 1:
Pitched battle, VPs decide.
Terrain is fixed.

bonus points:
-If you have a non-fleeing unit in your opponent's deployment zone
-If you have killed your opponent's BSB (no BSB = this point automatically)
-If your general is alive, on the table, not fleeing
-If none of your units were destroyed or fled off the table

This scenario encourages large combat blocks supported by cav, skirmishers, or fliers. Bonus points 1,3, & 4 encourage a very defensive playstyle, but you still have to go get your opponent's BSB for max points.
A defensive, shooty army with death magic should rule this scenario.

Overall opinion:
Seems balanced, pitched doesn't force anyone's playstyle. Using this scenario game 1 seems like it would push a lot of draws with +3 bonus points from veteran players. However with the top spot being determined by W-L record, it would seem to encourage an aggressive, push army to max bonus.

Scenario 2:
Meeting engagement (diagonal dep), VPs decide
-Controlling 2 or more table quarters
-killed more characters than your opponent
-Each enemy killed that was held in reserve.

Overall opinion:
Seems flexible. Most players baseline their aggressive armies and rush forward against defensive lines. However with table quarters being a factor to max points, it encourages a small unit or two to hold back for your table quarters.

Scenario 3:
Battle for the Pass (long edge), VPs decide
-General alive, not fleeing
-Enemy unit fled on a long table edge
-Killing a warmachine (max 2 pts), automatic +1 pt if they have no war machines

Special: nominate each opponent's most expensive magic item. If that item is killed in combat, the model that killed him takes possession of it, if he still has it at the end of the game he gets +100VPs

Overall opinion:
Interesting take. A change up on the 'snatch and grab' treasure scenario. It risks the players who takes a very expensive item set up if something can get in, kill it, and get away. Flying or fast character killers work for the assassination run, however, if a unit carries the most expensive item (i.e a banner) then you're forced to go after it for the addition VPs.

Again, another scenario - on the surface - that tends to lend some weight to a defensive army.

That's all for the first 3. Again, just birds eye and thinking points. I'll get the next two up in a day or 3.

Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Bugeater 2011 - analysis    Bugeater 2011 - analysis  Icon_minitime28th March 2012, 12:43 pm

Scenario 4:
Blood and Glory deployment, VPs decide
Note: No break on blood and glory, only worth a bonus point.

-If you break your opponent's fortitude
-kill their most expensive core unit (+2)
-seize more standards than your opponent

Overall:
A big change of pace in game four. You go big or go home. This is a close deployment and bonus point set up that appears to favor quick, choppy armies.

I really enjoy this scenario, I just wish it was game 1 instead of game 4 to encourage out of the gate aggression to set up the tournament.

Scenario 5:
Pitched Battle, VPs decide

-If your cheapest core unit survives
-for each wizard you destroy (max 2)
- -1 if you most expensive unit is dead/fled

Overall:
Pretty standard fair here. Punishes people with cheap rushers like dogs/furies/harpies and encourages points-tight payers to try and smash each other's death star.

All in all, 5 solid missions. Just wanted to post them up for the gang to have access to them.
Back to top Go down
RockWars
Flashlight toting Guardsman
RockWars

PostSubject: Re: Bugeater 2011 - analysis    Bugeater 2011 - analysis  Icon_minitime8th April 2012, 4:09 am

Thanks for the update sir, you can find the fantasy pack here

http://gt.bugeatergames.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Fantasy_PrimerPacket.pdf

just saw it tonight aka this morning
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Bugeater 2011 - analysis    Bugeater 2011 - analysis  Icon_minitime8th April 2012, 8:21 am

Nice find. Glad we did all that waiting to have the comp pack not change at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bugeater 2011 - analysis    Bugeater 2011 - analysis  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bugeater 2011 - analysis
Page 1 of 1