Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)

Go down 
+9
Bartholomew
Sweet E
Darkhorse
Khaas
ares
littleboyblues
Wildeyedjester
bsimon
capnwoodrow
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Bartholomew
Blue Horror Telling a Knock Knock Joke
Blue Horror Telling a Knock Knock Joke

My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime10th March 2012, 10:22 pm

No, that was elves....
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor

My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime11th March 2012, 12:36 am

I won patriot last year with eldar and was 21 out of 160 with eldar at Wargamescon. Eldar was the most powerful army 6 years ago and chaos or orks was most powerful 5 years ago. Chaos will be on top again in 3 months most likely.

Would you say all armies in fantasy are equal and competitive? Would you say most armies are not better if the y have a more recent army book?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime11th March 2012, 12:44 am

Pretty sure the strongest armies in Fantasy right now are Dwarves and Chaos Warriors, at least from what I've seen.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime11th March 2012, 12:55 am

bsimon wrote:
Pretty sure the strongest armies in Fantasy right now are Dwarves and Chaos Warriors, at least from what I've seen.

Indeed and it wasn't too long ago that chaos Daemons and vamp counts were on top. To say both systems don't have less competitive armies is either folly or exemplary of a very short memory.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime11th March 2012, 1:04 am

There was recently a 50 man GT with 2 eldar players total. Lots of blue, red, green, and space wolf grey Grey Knights tho Wink.

I'd say the change to 8th made 13 of of the 15 books are competitive in WFB. Of the 2 that aren't, they still top ten - but only behind good players. This is mostly due to the fact that Fantasy doesn't revolve around a singular phase of the game.

A good player is always going to edge out. No one's saying that one game requires skill and the other doesn't. My only real point is/was that 40k is decided in the shooting phase and the armies with the strongest shooting consistently top table while the armies that can't shoot get smeared to the bottom ranks. Doesn't make one game better or worse, it was just a response to the fact that in a thread about empire rumors you decided to comment on how the magic phase turned you off to the game. I gotta stick up for WFB, it's my jam dawg! I always enjoyed it in 7th, but I was intimidated by the local player base and some of the weirder rules interactions. 8th edition fixed a lot of the things I disliked about 7th and i'd been playing 40k for 3-4 years straight without a break.

tl;dr No matter what happens, it's GW. They will find a way to make both 40k and WFB players miserable in the near future. Of this, I am certain.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime11th March 2012, 1:09 am

I will now start a post about occupying games Workshop.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime11th March 2012, 1:12 am

We are the .1%
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime11th March 2012, 1:29 am

Wildeyedjester wrote:
bsimon wrote:

Indeed and it wasn't too long ago that chaos Daemons and vamp counts were on top. To say both systems don't have less competitive armies is either folly or exemplary of a very short memory.

My point was that Chaos Warriors and Dwarves do NOT have a current edition army book and are on top. Demons were on top for most of 7th edition but the rules changes, not the army book changes, were what hampered them. Dark Elves fared well in the transition.
Back to top Go down
RockWars
Flashlight toting Guardsman
RockWars

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime17th March 2012, 7:47 am

Brent, I'd say that both warriors and dwarves are at the top with Lizards, Ogres, Daemons, Empire, and the new VC. Each one has tough match ups, but with the right build and general any of those armies have a great chance to win any event. In fact it was OK and daemons playing on table 1 game 5 at Shiloh this year, and Empire took Lonewolf.

Granted Dwarves have the oldest book there, but all fared well in the transition (albeit OK got a new book that was done very well) I feel like 8th edition did a great job of balancing the books out, and removing the superpowers that were out there. In fact I don't think there is an army that can reliably win every game any more.
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime22nd March 2012, 8:21 pm

I second the you all suck bc you don't play Lotr. I haven't played 40k really much in awhile because I wanna play a fast assault army and if I don't go first I get shot into the ground. I'm also in the tired of plastic hitting the field over and over around here. Got a lot of painting to do to get both my armies painted and ready to play.
Back to top Go down
Trygonz
Squig with flatulence
Trygonz

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime23rd March 2012, 7:36 pm

i have to say, 40k cron shooting is death raining from the guass barrel, and nid shooting sucks
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime23rd April 2012, 10:30 pm

Top6 at Adept
-GK
-GK
-GK
-Orks
-Crons
-SW

4 armies represented, 2 are the most recent books.

Edit for monkey: misread a Cron as SW

Last edited by capnwoodrow on 23rd April 2012, 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Monkey

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime23rd April 2012, 10:34 pm

Nope. The final table was SW vs GK, and there was only one Necron in the final16. Though admittedly, 7 of the top16 were GK.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime23rd April 2012, 11:16 pm

capnwoodrow wrote:
Top6 at Adept
-GK
-GK
-GK
-Orks
-Crons
-SW

4 armies represented, 2 are the most recent books.

Edit for monkey: misread a Cron as SW

~30% of the field was gk. last year it was guard.

Fantasy has had the same trends in the past and will again. I remember when counts dominated, and when daemons were mostly what you saw at any given tourney.

Nothing is permanent, just give it time. So your army isnt grey knights, right now? Either join them like the rest of the world, figure out how to adjust, or abandon ship.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime23rd April 2012, 11:29 pm

So last year it was the shootiest army last year. This year it's this years shootiest armies.

Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime23rd April 2012, 11:48 pm

Yes its a game of lasers, tanks and cannons. Hence the army will be shootiest every year.

40k = shooting and dominant armies.

Fantasy = magic and random movements.

You will return to 40k long before I will to fantasy. Other than that, i think we're both pretty much done unless you just want to circle through this one more time.

Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime24th April 2012, 7:24 am

AWWWWWW
/hug

Now that we've all got this issue hashed out, it's time to declare a winner in the super omg-my game is the bestest and better than yours category:

Malifaux.

YOU GET TO FLIP CARDS, SON!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)   My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Game is Bigger Than Yours (Or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shooting Phase)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3