Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CWDT: Play me!

Go down 
+3
bsimon
Cpt_Tiberius
capnwoodrow
7 posters
AuthorMessage
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

CWDT: Play me! Empty
PostSubject: CWDT: Play me!   CWDT: Play me! Icon_minitime29th September 2010, 8:52 pm

So we're in a bit of a 40k slump (for right now) and a lot of us have taken up other games to pass the time.

If you could bring one game to the table and really generate interest for it locally, what would it be and why? Note: doesn't have to minis a game. Board/Card/etc are all fine suggestions.

Me? Easy. Malifaux. I've been having a blast with it. I've already assembled two crews (one's even fully painted) and i'm shopping for number 3. It's a great system, even though the rulebooks are rubbish. I like the models and the size of the game plus the card mechanics are really elegant.

Your turn!
Back to top Go down
Cpt_Tiberius
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Cpt_Tiberius

PostSubject: Re: CWDT: Play me!   CWDT: Play me! Icon_minitime29th September 2010, 9:39 pm

I think you have problem generating interest in Malifaux Razz Seems like a lot of people have picked it up. I hear it's a good game, I just don't care for the minis.

I am not sure what I would pick. I love miniatures games, and have been looking around for a skirmish type game. I like playing with/against painted minis, but real life and exhaustion have kept me from ever getting a full GW army painted. A skirmish game would allow for more time/attention per figure.

I keep hearing rumors of a Mordheim campaign happening, and I would love to be apart of that. Warmachine wouldn't be bad now that they started making plastic kits, but it doesn't seem to have many adherents in this area, and it suffers from another issue I have with malifaux. Lack of personalization. I like to be invested in my minis, letting them be my avatars on the battlefield, but It's hard to have a connection to say Seamus, when he is the same character that everyone else plays, maybe even your opponent. I may be in the minority on this, but that's just how I roll.

Last but not least is Battletech. This was my first war game and I saw that it is having a bit of a renaissance.

-T.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: CWDT: Play me!   CWDT: Play me! Icon_minitime29th September 2010, 10:07 pm

Warmachine. A different turn sequence that involves more forethought and unit synergy, and a good risk/ reward mechanic makes for a dynamic game.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: CWDT: Play me!   CWDT: Play me! Icon_minitime29th September 2010, 10:47 pm

I agree. Coming from 40k/WFB, Warmachine does my head in. I love it, but I never understood why the tourneys had time limits until I played a few games. You really have to plan before you start moving metal around.
Back to top Go down
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought
Haren

PostSubject: Re: CWDT: Play me!   CWDT: Play me! Icon_minitime30th September 2010, 9:06 am

For me it's simple. Warmachine or Malifaux.

Warmachine because it is a more strategic game. It kinda reminds me of chess in that you have to think out your responses as your opponent moves. The round time limit in competitive play is just a reminder of that. Also the fact that the game hinges on your caster, to me, makes the game a little more mentally cinematic. Do you pop your feat and rush in, or do you hold back a turn and let the opponent move again and look for that opening. Knowing a caster is almost as tricky as knowing an entire army because they are a Swiss army knife.

That said, I also feel Malifaux because it is so different from the games we've been playing. The card mechanic, the turn structure, and the scenario building system are new to a lot of players. The card mechanic seems like a much more balanced system for "rolling" after playing a few games. You can literally get your low "rolls" out early lol. The turn structure of you move and activate a model, then I do is a departure for a lot of war gamers. It actually is more of a role playing element that has been moved to the table. It also makes the game seem more alive to me for some reason. And finally the scenario building system means that the game is fresh just about every time you play. There are what 8 scenario's, in 13 locations, with 6 strategies, and 10 schemes i think. It will be few and far between that you and your opponent play the exact same game.
Back to top Go down
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

PostSubject: Re: CWDT: Play me!   CWDT: Play me! Icon_minitime30th September 2010, 11:56 am

I got a crew painted up but still havent played.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: CWDT: Play me!   CWDT: Play me! Icon_minitime30th September 2010, 3:27 pm

It's fall and it's football season, so I would like to see some Bloodbowl played. This is easily the most fun and the most frustrating game I ever played.
Non-miniature game would have to be Invasion. The group I meet up with on Fridays has been having some fun playing multiplayer games with this.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: CWDT: Play me!   CWDT: Play me! Icon_minitime30th September 2010, 9:14 pm

I'd play bloodbowl...I've always wanted to and thought about picking up the starter box from CHG
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: CWDT: Play me!   CWDT: Play me! Icon_minitime1st October 2010, 1:12 am

I would like to get one as well. I need to buy some extra printer ink and print off the Living Rulebook and get brushed up on the rules.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: CWDT: Play me!   CWDT: Play me! Icon_minitime2nd October 2010, 3:59 pm

If I had to pick one game to have pick up, it would be 40k. It's been 2 months since WAR Games Con and over 4 months since the last tournament I got to take part in and I'm itching for some hard fought battles. Honestly what I'd like to have happen is have a game go well for me but still have someone beat me mercilessly so I can see what I'm playing wrong and get suggestions on how to play it right.

Assuming 40k doesn't pick back up I'd have to vote Malifaux, the game is so glaringly different from GW games that it makes for a perfect easy-to-get-in-to pastime that helps keep Warhammer more entertaining (I'm sure this applies to Warmachine too, I just don't have an interest in WM right now.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CWDT: Play me!   CWDT: Play me! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CWDT: Play me!
Page 1 of 1