Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Patriot Games

Go down 
+5
JDScherrey
Dannato
bdix
warhammerworld
capnwoodrow
9 posters
AuthorMessage
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Patriot Games Empty
PostSubject: Patriot Games   Patriot Games Icon_minitime6th June 2010, 7:25 pm

I figured I'd open this up for anyone who wanted to talk about their experiences and games at Patriot. Had a great time. This was actually my first 2 day event and I think it really says something when a two day, 30+ person event runs smoother than an afternoon tourney with less than 10 in attendance. Kudos to all the staff and everyone involved.

I think my list is around the boards, but if not then here ya go: DP of nurgle, lash sorcerer, 7 zerks w/ pfist and a rhino x2, 7 plague marines w/ pfist and a rhino x2, 2 oblits x2, a predator, and 2x summon lesser squads.

Game 1: I drew Blood Angels in the opening round. Little worried about the new dex since I had played against it a single time and only ran it a few times. Mission was straight KP and there were a smattering of KP related bonus points. The game swung my way early, but eventually the Sanguinininininininor and Dante made it to my side of the board and paced it back. I managed to get him down to only having the Sanguinor on the board, but due to the scenario I only picked up a minor bonus point and walked away with 16 points.

Game 2: I moved from the smallest army at Patriot to one of the larger: Bad Moonz Orks. I ran Orks for 2 years and never played a game against them. Ever. In the time since, never played Orks. First time to bat i'm facing a four battlewagon deff-rolla-fest. The mission was Capture and Control. I managed to babysit my objective with summoned lesser daemons and pull him off his objective. I would have gotten both objectives, but in an epic roll a single loota held from his 7 man combat loss by double 1ing it. 15 points in game two.

Game 3: I moved up the tables to face our very own Big_D. Since all of the Hogs were 2-0 at this point it was destined that we would start clashing. Big_D runs a killa kan wall backed up by 2 units of Nob Bikerz. This game was a slug out. The mission had us placing two objectives at the end of our respective first turns and we could only score the objectives our opponents placed. This game was turning every round. I got an early panic on a unit of Bikerz and ran them off the board. The next turn he dumped all of his dakka into my DP and finally did the job with his last shot: a farking grotzooka. I managed to tie up the other nob squad by lashing them into terrain, repeatedly, and I killed the rest of his scoring units. The game ended as a straight 11 point draw. Each of us got two one of the objectives and camped.

Game 4: First game of day 2 and I drew the infamous Littleboyblues. Game four was an awful scenario that I lost before I had even moved. One objective in the center of the table. You get a point if you control it at the end of your turn. He went first, got his token, and parked his entire Ragnar landraider, 5 rhino, 30 grey hunter army on top of it. I spent 4 turns contesting the middle of the board only to have it make no difference as I couldn't push his entire army back a turn to score. 4 point loss. Littleboyblues and I had a fun game, pushed men around, rolled dice, and had shots of jack as our breakfast dessert.

Game 5: Drew fletch for an almost mirror-match. He had less berzerkers, more men, and Abbadon. This was a KP scenario but only scoring units counted for Kill points. We knew we weren't playing for table 1 so we had another push men, roll dice game. We each managed to destroy a single troop out of each other's army for the draw. I don't want to make it sound boring - we wrecked a lot of face, but it was mostly vehicles, elites, and heavy support. 10 point draw for us there.

All in all, good fun. Hope to see everyone out next year!
Back to top Go down
warhammerworld
Apothecary with a box of band aids
Apothecary with a box of band aids

Patriot Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patriot Games   Patriot Games Icon_minitime6th June 2010, 8:03 pm

Something that really helps an event run smooth is the players that want it to run like clockwork. I also firmly believe in 90 minute lunch breaks. It adds to the socializing.
Back to top Go down
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

Patriot Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patriot Games   Patriot Games Icon_minitime6th June 2010, 8:34 pm

what were the final results?
Back to top Go down
Dannato
Spirit Guide to Lost Souls
Dannato

Patriot Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patriot Games   Patriot Games Icon_minitime6th June 2010, 8:36 pm

The first two day tourny for me too. I went 3-2 with the Necrons and can't wait for next year!
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Patriot Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patriot Games   Patriot Games Icon_minitime6th June 2010, 8:57 pm

@Wildeyedjester - Done

@warhammerworld - Thanks again, Dennis. Had a great time.

Last edited by capnwoodrow on 7th June 2010, 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JDScherrey
Squat with the Squats
Squat with the Squats
JDScherrey

Patriot Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patriot Games   Patriot Games Icon_minitime6th June 2010, 9:04 pm

This was my first Patriot Games and only the second 40k tournament that I have ever been in. I thought the pace of the game worked really well in that we had plenty of time to move from table to table without rushing. The long lunch break allowed you to relax before the next game, socialize with other players and conduct 'emergency' repairs if needed to your army after playing a couple of games.

The event was very professionally run and I for one certainly appreciate all the time and effort that the organizers put into it! Your hard work was definitely shown by how smoothly everything went during the tournament.

I had the pleasure of playing several games with the group of players from Missouri and thought it was great to see players coming from both Kansas City and Little Rock. Overall I thought we had a great group of player for patriot games and a good representation from the local area!

As a newer player, the only part that was a bit daunting was the variety of the terrain. Several times I hemmed myself into a narrow corridor or lane because what I believed to be impassible was in reality not. That is simply lack of experience in that I didn’t know to even ask as it appeared obvious to me (but only because of the group I have played with ie house rules).

Frustrating was the amount of players that believe that they could dodge a Deff Rolla tank shock, that the Deff Rolla cannot hit a vehicle and that you cannot disembark boyz from an open topped battlewagon at cruising speed. Not a huge issue just a lot of explanation of the rules in this area from a player that doesn’t have years of experience.

Awesome were the players that really explained their codex, their moves and were crystal clear on how terrain (to the last detail) would be played.

Overall this was a great experience! Thanks for the all the hard work that went into it!

Last edited by JDScherrey on 6th June 2010, 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JDScherrey
Squat with the Squats
Squat with the Squats
JDScherrey

Patriot Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patriot Games   Patriot Games Icon_minitime6th June 2010, 9:27 pm

The final results? One of the final results is that we didn't have a Tau player! Sorry you missed it, it was a really enjoyable tournament!
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Patriot Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patriot Games   Patriot Games Icon_minitime6th June 2010, 9:29 pm

I agree. It was a very fun, and very smoothly ran tournament. It was super laid back and just a good time. Honestly one of the absolute best tournaments that I have been too. My game versus Alex in the last round was one of the most stressful and tense games that I have ever played - and it was a blast. All of my games were fun, the opponents great, and tournament staff was helpful and did a really good job.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Patriot Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patriot Games   Patriot Games Icon_minitime6th June 2010, 10:22 pm

Dannato wrote:
The first two day tourny for me too. I went 3-2 with the Necrons and can't wait for next year!

Next year we're adding the doubles event for our Necron/Necron lists.

Speaking of...i'll have a new dex next Patriot...hmmmmmmmmm!
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

Patriot Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patriot Games   Patriot Games Icon_minitime6th June 2010, 10:53 pm

Those who did not attend missed out, plain and simple. Our group goes to a lot of tournaments, and this was the best one I have been to in YEARS. Great players - yes. Friendly, yet competitive games and scenarios - yes. Great terrain and boards - yes. Great organization and implementation - absolutely! Dennis put on a clinic on how to run tournaments in a timely and professional manner and did an even better job than usual, if that is possible. We had alot of players in all the way from Little Rock all the way up to Kansas City.

My only complaint? That not all the local players turned out to support the only local GT they might have ever had the opportunity to attend <facepalm>.

Hat's off to you Dennis. Great job!

I will post pictures, thoughts and battle reports to the blog over the course of the next week or so.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
BIg Al
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
BIg Al

Patriot Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patriot Games   Patriot Games Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 7:59 am

Personally, I thought it was one of the best run tournies I have been to as well. Games ran smooth, nice looking armies, and the players were good people. It was also cool to put some faces to the names from this board. I liked getting the chance to meet more gamers like myself. There were some cool stories and game moments that would have been very cinematic. War stories after the games is also one the fun parts about tournies.

Analyzing my army performance, I went 3-0-2.

Tyrant w/guard
2 Tervigons
2 Trygons
Warriors
Genestealers
Termagaunts
Hiveguard

I would say overall it performed well. Hive guard and the Trygons were the MVP's. The hive guard took down everything from rhinos and vendettas to monolith and nob bikers. The ability to shoot without line of sight and not allow cover saves is amazing. The trygons died in most of my games but they either drew tons of fire from other vital army units (moving to objectives) or laid waste to everything they could catch (except one game when they got smacked by Vulcan and his TH/SS termies). The general strategy of bubble wrapping my units with termagaunts worked as well. All in all, I had a great time. Thanks to Dennis and crew for putting on a great show.
Back to top Go down
Cpt_Tiberius
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Cpt_Tiberius

Patriot Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patriot Games   Patriot Games Icon_minitime9th June 2010, 11:24 pm

This was my 3rd (or maybe 4th) Patriot Games, but my first 2-day event. Other than the lack of air conditioning it was alot of fun. I enjoyed meeting everyone and though I got massacred for the most part I really enjoyed my games. It is always great to get to play against new people, and new armies as well. I had played against Alex's nids before, and it was just as scary this time lol. I also got to play against demons and learned a new name for fear... Flamers of Tzeentch.

My fourth game also netted me my main goal going into this event, to win at least one game at a tournament. In all fairness that scenario was biased toward my fast moving Blood Angel army. Once I got a good chunk of units onto the objective it was downhill from there. It was probably my favorite game of the tournament as by round three I had the win locked up, so we got to just relax and kill stuff. On top of all that I was seriously impressed with the Emperor's Children army I was up against. It was probably my favorite army of the event and would have scored it higher in the paint comp if he had been able to finish it.

My final game was also memorable for my incredible bad luck with deep striking. Losing half your army on turn 2 is a bit hard to come back from No No No My opponent was great and even offered to play another quick game after we finished, but I was worn out by that point.

For my ignoble defeat I won the bad dice award, netting me a shiny new set of dice... which I dropped trying to get into my car after the tourney and scattered all over the sidewalk (along with my land raider and some death company). luckily no major damage to the models, but the irony was amusing.
Laughing

Overall a great event and I can't wait for next year!

-T.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Patriot Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patriot Games   Patriot Games Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Patriot Games
Page 1 of 1