Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pig iron productions?

Go down 
+3
Fulminata
big_d
Turducken
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Turducken
Tyranid Warrior with Arthritis
Turducken

Pig iron productions? Empty
PostSubject: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime14th July 2009, 12:46 pm

Can anyone reccomend pig iron heads, specifically the winter gear and command heads for my IG army? I love the russian-esque feel.

And would the best place to order them be from The Warstore? They seem to be almost constantly out of stock.

Thanks,
Jake
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime14th July 2009, 1:11 pm

I love the Pig Iron heads. I have a bunch of the gas mask heads that I am using for my Guard army that I am slowly building. I know that WildEyedJester has some on a few of his traitor guard models and he was doing touch up the other day for The Big Waaagh and he said that a lot of the Pig Iron heads needed touching up. Apparently the paint chips off of them real bad.

I haven't ran into this yet with mine as I only have a few painted up and haven't played any games with them yet. I would just be extra careful and give em an extra dose of sealer when done with them.

The first time I ordered heads was from the war store. Second time I ordered straight from Pig Iron. The cost was about the same.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime14th July 2009, 1:37 pm

I don't know about Pig Iron heads specifically, but plastic just seems to hold paint better than metal in general. It may be that Pig Iron specifically needs extra care in the preparatory washing stage. You guys do wash your models before priming, right? *he says as he looks at the ton of models he didn't wash before priming that often need touchups...*
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Turducken
Turducken

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime14th July 2009, 1:44 pm

Hmmm... I thought you only had to wash metal models....

Anywho, thanks for the info guys! Amyome know what kind of shipping time there is for Either the warstore or Pig Iron? Similar? One greater than the other? I like to time my orders so they arrive close to each other.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime14th July 2009, 1:50 pm

Models of all types tend to have a residue of release chemicals from the molding process. In my experience it tends to be less problematic with hard plastic than other materials, but it's still a good idea to wash them.

If you ever work with resin give it an extra wash, that's probably the worst material in terms of residue that needs to be removed before painting.
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime14th July 2009, 1:52 pm

It took longer for the stuff to come from Pig Iron, they are overseas though.

The only models that I wash are resin. I haven't had any problems with my metal ones but I am going to keep an eye on these from Pig Iron. They might be using some kind of release like they use on resin to get it to come out of the molds better. I will have to do some tests.
Back to top Go down
Turducken
Turducken

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime14th July 2009, 1:54 pm

Thanks for your help, I intend on ordering some as soon as they get back in stock!
Back to top Go down
Itkovian
Blind Ratling Sniper
Itkovian

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime20th August 2009, 9:46 am

Probably not applicable as you are overseas, but postage time in the UK direct from them is a next-day affair. I usually e-mail them my order a week or so in advance (so I can do my budget) and they send me the invoice via Paypal, which I then pay on payday. Next day, I get a red slip through the door telling me that they're waiting for me at the delivery office (signed for).

I can't recommend them highly enough. If you find the cadian heads too big, they're a no-brainer. The full models themselves are slightly smaller than GWs idea of 28mm, but fit in just fine.
Back to top Go down
http://itkovian.blogspot.com
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime20th August 2009, 4:26 pm

Budgets? We don't need no stinking budgets! The government does business in a deficit mode, why can't we do the same? You just have to get your priorities straight.

MORE MINIS!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime20th August 2009, 4:31 pm

By washing, Fulminata is actually talking about washing the models on the sprues in a soapy water solution and maybe using a soft toothbrush to help remove the oils left on the sprues; not putting on a wash of paint or ink. Newbies here may have misunderstood the term being used; and I wanted to make sure what was meant between washing and a "wash".
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime20th August 2009, 4:41 pm

I was actually working with some resin this week. Finally got around to painting up my Forgeworld Khorne Terminators.

The worst thing I have seen as far as release agents goes is on the stuff from Ramshacklegames. It is almost oily.
Back to top Go down
Schnitzel
Grot Squig Herder

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime23rd August 2009, 11:30 pm

Woah oh! This is the first I've heard of washing metal minis. Up till now I thought it was just resin. Sad

The Pig Iron line up is pretty killer. Miks Minis has some pretty sweet stuff as well.
Personally though, starting up a rebel guard army myself, I don't really care for the whole 'bag head' look... Its especially horrific with Forge Worlds Vraks Renegades. The gas WWI look that Pig Iron does isn't bad... but, definitely not something that meets my taste.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime24th August 2009, 8:38 am

Plastic minis are more in need of washing than resin; it's a tactic for plastic that I have used when I was trying to building decent looking German WW2 vehicles back when I did that.

Now I just have an attic full of models I stare at and shake my head....
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime25th August 2009, 4:19 pm

The general web consensus over what needs to be cleaned before priming, in order of importance:

1) resin
2) plastic
3) metal

My own personal experience changes up the importance a bit:

1) resin
2) metal
3) plastic

I've had much more difficulty getting paint to stay on unwashed metal miniatures than unwashed plastic. I don't think I've ever actually painted over unwashed resin because by the time I got around to doing models that included resin I already knew about the importance of washing any model before priming, and the work that's usually involved in prepping resin usually requires a wash anyway just to remove excess dust.

I still occasionally prime over unwashed metal and plastic simply because I get on a roll building models and forget to do it Sad
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime25th August 2009, 11:51 pm

I should have been a little more specific with my comment about plastic vs resin washing. There have been a lot more plastic models produced over the years vs resin, which is why I made the statement that plastic needed washing more than resin. Embarassed

I blame the mis-statement on the silly drugs I am taking. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime26th August 2009, 8:00 am

I guess I'm a lazy chode... I only wash resin everything else just prime n go!
Back to top Go down
Itkovian
Blind Ratling Sniper
Itkovian

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime26th August 2009, 9:30 am

Don't worry - you're not the only one. I usually mean to then forget...
Back to top Go down
http://itkovian.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pig iron productions?   Pig iron productions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pig iron productions?
Page 1 of 1