Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gaming Photog and editing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Complete Scoundrel
Grot Squig Herder
Complete Scoundrel

Gaming Photog and editing Empty
PostSubject: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime8th June 2009, 11:11 pm

I have begun a new hobby.....one right after the other right?....and I am trying to start a small modest Photography Biz. I am in the process of purchasing equipment and software to make some killer pics. Let me know if you would like me to record your next blood bath or some cool new minis you have painted.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime8th June 2009, 11:22 pm

Big D has made a light tent for photographing minis and getting close up of smaller items. Do you know how to put your camera into macro mode yet? Macro mode coupled with the light diffusion from a light tent makes for some very nice closeups. You'll have to bring your camera over and take some shots of models for us.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
Complete Scoundrel
Grot Squig Herder
Complete Scoundrel

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime8th June 2009, 11:34 pm

I have learned to use my Kodak point and click to a better degree than when I bought it. I am in the marker for a Canon 50D 15 MP camera. But I can definitely make some great photos with what I have now. I use Photoshop Lightroom 2 to edit them to their final cut. I will post some still life I have created recently, but I will certainly come over and take some shots of the game oriented gear. They won't be 100% awesome until I spend a few minutes with the photos and some lightroom 2.

Here are a few edited photos I have worked on in the last few days (I hope this doesn't take too much room):

Gaming Photog and editing June5-1

Gaming Photog and editing June5-4

Gaming Photog and editing June5-12

Gaming Photog and editing June5-9

Last edited by Complete Scoundrel on 9th June 2009, 8:21 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ADDITION OF PHOTOS)
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime10th June 2009, 12:02 am

Are you doing anything next Saturday the 20th? I was going to take pictures of the games and minis at the tournament at HT. If you are available, maybe you want to come in and take some?
Back to top Go down
Complete Scoundrel
Grot Squig Herder
Complete Scoundrel

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime10th June 2009, 12:22 am

If I am not at the lake (depends on the weather), i will def. be there.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime10th June 2009, 12:51 am

The pics above are sharp by the way. I like the sharp lighting contrast on them.
Back to top Go down
Complete Scoundrel
Grot Squig Herder
Complete Scoundrel

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime10th June 2009, 8:31 am

Thank ya sir. Those were just first stabs of editing older photos. The high contrast is really brought about by more saturation and brightness. Some others are "aged" and will be closer to gray scale (less Saturation). Anyway......Now that I know what I am doing with my modest little point and shoot they are much better. Now I have been looking at several MACRO lenses. Holy COW. These bad boys are almost as much as the camera, and in most cases are more expensive. I think I can get away with the nice lens that comes with my new camera for now. But macro would kill!!!
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime16th June 2009, 2:57 am

My wife got me a digital SLR camera for my birthday and I've been playing around with it, but still have a lot to learn. Are you using Photoshop or GIMP for your editing? I've just recently started to mess around with more than just simple cropping in GIMP, and still have a lot to learn there as well.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Complete Scoundrel
Grot Squig Herder
Complete Scoundrel

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime16th June 2009, 9:07 am

Hi Fulminata. Welcome.
Yes they are very complicated to the newb. I am still waiting on mine. ha. I have messed around with several DSLR's to find the right one. What did you get exactly?

As for software, I am currently playing with Photoshop Lightroom 2. I haven't gotten the new CS4 yet, but you can bet I will. Nothing compares to it for digital composites. Light Room is just a finishing tool. Very easy to operate the basic functions. You can download a free trial from Adobe for 30 days to learn it. I know you will like it.

Anyway I hope this has helped a little. Please don't hesitate to ask me anything. I am still learning and quite novice, but I will help where I can.

C.S.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime16th June 2009, 1:25 pm

Free is good, trial not so much Wink I'll probably stick with GIMP until I run up against something that I simply can't do with it, but could do with Photoshop. So far that hasn't been the case.

I got a 10MP Olympus E-520 after doing a bit of web research. It had the best reviews and features among the low-end DSLRs, and so far I've been happy with everything except the built in flash, which has a number of minor issues, some of which are simply things I need to get used to (like keeping my fingers out of the way so they don't cast shadows on the subject ). The main issue is the relative difficulty in getting accessories for an Olympus when compared to a Canon or Nikon, but I actually see that as a feature since it prevents me from buying a new accessory every time I walk into Target or Best Buy Razz
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Complete Scoundrel
Grot Squig Herder
Complete Scoundrel

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime17th June 2009, 9:00 am

There isn't anything wrong with the trial, except that when it is over it no longer works. HA. I actually looked a the GIMP. Not bad. I will try it out if Mac supports it.
I def. need PS CS4. I have 6 and it sucks compared to CS4.

Hope you like your cam. Olympus is a great brand. I don't know how they stack against the big boys (Nikon and Canon) but I am sure it gets the job done for your level. I think I said before I was looking at Canon 50D, but now I am looking at Nikon D300. Big difference in price though. We'll see.

affraid

Anyway, have a good one. We'll see you later.
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime17th June 2009, 10:00 am

I use the Gimp on my Windows box and on Linux and my Mac. It is a bit tricky to set up on the Mac but it works fine once you get it up and running. The Gimp is just different enough from Photoshop to be a bit tricky if you are real familiar with Photoshop. I have only ever used the Gimp and I have pretty good luck with it and I am absolutely horrible with design.
Back to top Go down
Complete Scoundrel
Grot Squig Herder
Complete Scoundrel

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime17th June 2009, 10:38 am

Like I said....I am going to try it out to see how I like it. But I am a total Photoshop user. It's the same fro me switching to MicroStation from using AutoCad for 10 years. Its not really a matter of better or worse, but the fact that they are different. I am certain each has their strengths and weeknesses. What was tricky about the Mac setup? I refuse to dig out the Dell PC again. ha!
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime12th July 2009, 3:40 pm

Hey Scoundrel,

Guess what my dear old mom and pop just gave me for my birthday (if you say anything about me being 31 I will hurt you)?

This!

Gaming Photog and editing Nkd40
Back to top Go down
Complete Scoundrel
Grot Squig Herder
Complete Scoundrel

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime12th July 2009, 4:26 pm

Sweet man. Nikons are where it's at! I plan on purchasing my d200 from my neighbor in a few days. I am hoping it will kick butt.
Go to Barns and Noble or Borders and get yourself the D40 book. I bought one for the 90 and the 300. Good as gold. Everything you need to know....thats not in the user manual you got with your new cam. Enjoy!!

PS. I stopped by to see if you were home today....I was over that way......your cars were there, but I bet you were napping or out playing in the water.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime14th July 2009, 1:02 am

Wildeyedjester wrote:
Hey Scoundrel,

Guess what my dear old mom and pop just gave me for my birthday (if you say anything about me being 31 I will hurt you)?

OMFG I wish I was 31. That would be like 16 years of coolness that I could gain back! My hair would grow back and my stomach would diminish. I would like, kill a 5th grader for that.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Photog and editing   Gaming Photog and editing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gaming Photog and editing
Page 1 of 1