Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Local Gaming Circuit

Go down 
+4
big_d
capnwoodrow
gamewizard
Verminlord
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

Local Gaming Circuit Empty
PostSubject: Local Gaming Circuit   Local Gaming Circuit Icon_minitime10th August 2009, 6:15 pm

With all the talk about comp on the 40k thread, gets me thinking would be nice if T-Shirt, CastleHouse and HobbyTown could organize a local gaming circuit. It would generate awareness and dollars for all involved. Which should also attract more players. Even if it was simply a rotating monthly tournament of some kind. Keep them small and local so they can be easily managed.
While I realize not everyone likes tournaments, it could be fun and good experience for everyone.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Local Gaming Circuit   Local Gaming Circuit Icon_minitime10th August 2009, 7:05 pm

Deleted

Last edited by gamewizard on 10th August 2009, 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Local Gaming Circuit   Local Gaming Circuit Icon_minitime10th August 2009, 7:49 pm

I think it's a great idea.

This is in no way related to my next big idea - Hog*Con.

Booyah.
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Local Gaming Circuit   Local Gaming Circuit Icon_minitime10th August 2009, 7:54 pm

yeah. looks like someone beat you to it - [url=hogcon.com]hogcon.com[/url]
Looks like they are a bit confused what it is supposed to be about though - from what I can tell the swap cans of tuna on some small island.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Local Gaming Circuit   Local Gaming Circuit Icon_minitime10th August 2009, 8:03 pm

big_d wrote:
yeah. looks like someone beat you to it - [url=hogcon.com]hogcon.com[/url]
Looks like they are a bit confused what it is supposed to be about though - from what I can tell the swap cans of tuna on some small island.

That was my idea exactly. Tuna swap followed by a competition in which people punch holes in walls and jump
through them. There would even be a ghost pepper lightning round.
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Local Gaming Circuit   Local Gaming Circuit Icon_minitime10th August 2009, 8:04 pm

Each blister is a bonus point!

I'm up by one!
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Local Gaming Circuit   Local Gaming Circuit Icon_minitime12th August 2009, 2:36 pm

One requirement of a "gaming circuit" would imply that all 3 stores would participate. I know Castle House games and T-shirt Explosion want to grow business. HobbyTown, I'm not so sure - I haven't seen them stock much of anything, post anything here directly about events, or really even act interested past "yes, we'd like to see more customers".

I think the fact they don't actually have a direct employee that plays may be why.
Back to top Go down
Brutal
Blind Ratling Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Local Gaming Circuit   Local Gaming Circuit Icon_minitime12th August 2009, 3:09 pm

i thought one of the hobbytown guys was playing? anyway im very interested in a small local tourney. dont always have the cash for the bigger ones and the time can be an issue as well.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Local Gaming Circuit   Local Gaming Circuit Icon_minitime12th August 2009, 3:14 pm

I didn't think Mike was an employee?

In any case - when your only information on a tournament is a signup sheet with "1750 40k tournament $15 includes lunch" and no details on any other requirements, and a month goes by with no update and no employee knows anything...
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Local Gaming Circuit   Local Gaming Circuit Icon_minitime12th August 2009, 8:02 pm

bsimon wrote:

In any case - when your only information on a tournament is a signup sheet with "1750 40k tournament $15 includes lunch" and no details on any other requirements, and a month goes by with no update and no employee knows anything...

Info for the tourney can be found here.

Back to the topic at hand - it just depends on what you mean by a gaming circuit. If you want to have a three store tournament system, then it's just a matter of getting it set up. If you want to have multi-store events then we just have to engage our FLGS. I know all of the store around here love the idea of running more events, so it shouldn't be that hard (especially since all of them have a voice on the forums).
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: Local Gaming Circuit   Local Gaming Circuit Icon_minitime13th August 2009, 3:00 pm

It would be simplest to do a monthly rotating tournament scene. In a years time, each venue would host 4 tournaments. So for the first go around if all tournaments were 40k, say with the "proof of purchase" entry fee method. Which means you must purchase GW products for entry fee, say $15. This will help generate sales for each shop and hopefully awareness for all three shops, which will also mean more sales. This will also provide a little more of a competitive environment, while maintaining an enjoyable atmosphere because the games would be against local players.
The only real hurdle is coming up with a scoring system to use at all the venues. Battle, Paint, Sportsmanship, and comp(yes, I went there) would all need to be taken into account. Could even keep totals of all results and do an overall winner, or break it down by store.
Still needs some polish on the idea, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Back to top Go down
Darth Khalek
Snotling stuffed in a coffee can
Darth Khalek

PostSubject: Re: Local Gaming Circuit   Local Gaming Circuit Icon_minitime23rd August 2009, 5:00 pm

It sounds like a good idea to me, but Brent is right on the fact a system is needed for scoring that all three stores can agree with. So Here are a couple of ideas for everyone's consideration.

Sportsmanship: Total Points Value: 25

Opponent has all needed items (tape, dice, list, templates...) 5pts
Opponent keep the game going at a acceptable rate to finish on time 10pts
Opponent explained any questions about their army and helped solve rules questions before calling over a judge 10pts

Painting: Total Points Available: 15

This category has four points values. Assigning points is based on which of the three represents the painted level of the army.

Opponent's army is fully painted and based. 15pts
Opponent's army is painted but not all units are finished. 10pts
Opponent's army has a few painted models or units in it. 5pts
Opponent's army is not painted or only primed. 0pts

I don't have any ideas for comp as of yet but am working on an idea and will post when I get it hammered out more.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Local Gaming Circuit   Local Gaming Circuit Icon_minitime25th August 2009, 4:10 pm

That scoring system looks fine, but I have to disagree with the premise that all three stores need identical scoring systems.

It might be nice to have a uniform scoring system, but it might also be nice to have options. If all three stores have to agree on a system, then it makes it that much harder to change that system if there proves to be room for improvement, as you then have to once again get everyone to agree on the change.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Local Gaming Circuit   Local Gaming Circuit Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Local Gaming Circuit
Page 1 of 1