Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tweaking my warriors

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Tweaking my warriors Empty
PostSubject: Tweaking my warriors   Tweaking my warriors Icon_minitime31st July 2011, 9:09 am

Ok, so this list I took up to TSE was:

1x Lvl4, Tzeentch, stub crown, 5+ ward, puppet
1x lvl1, fire
1x BSB - ench shield, ASF sword

30x marauders, gw, muso+standard
24x Warriors, Tzeentch, hwp+shield, razor banner
5x dogs
5x dogs

6x knights, khorne
18x chosen, FC, eye of the gods, +1 ldr banner

hellcannon
shrine, tzeentch

What worked: Nothing really. I didn't have a big stand out. The lvl4 throwing Tzeentch swung a lot of big points my way through Treason and Gateway. Puppet, as always, paid for itself over and over again.

The warriors make a great tank block. It was my first time using dogs and the screening of my big blocks really paid off.

Chosen = win, but only using the single shrine meant that I couldn't hit the 4+ ward, stub as easily.

The hellcannon won me two games outright (killed an archmage off his dragon, panic a dwarf block + bsb + smith off the board), but the other 16 turns of the tournament it did very little. And statistically that 2nd gamewinner should have never happened at ldr 8 on a reroll for the dwarves (general was out of position).

So after points tweaking I have a rock wars list that looks like this:

lvl 4, tznt, puppet, crown
lvl 1, fire
BSB, ASF sword, ench shield

40x marauders, muso+std
24x WoTznt, FC, warbanner
5x dogs
5x dogs

6x knights, khorne
18x chosen, FC, FotG, terror banner (this allows me to keep rerolling the pregame Eye roll until I roll a 4,5, or get the 11/12)

tztch shrine
tztch shrine

Thoughts? Anyone like the first list better - I suppose all I really need to keep the 1st list more uber is find a way to put the terror banner on that unit...just makes them stubborn on an 8.
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking my warriors   Tweaking my warriors Icon_minitime31st July 2011, 1:07 pm

I like the first list more in every way. The lvl 4 Tzeentch wizard is hard to kill with low casting value spells. Fire wizard is great idea. I think fire magic is under estimated. Fire magic's signiature spell is really good against Toughness 3 troops and easy to cast. I would drop the ASF sword on the BSB unless he is marked Khorne, and give him the Razor Banner or the Blasted Standard for protection. The GW Marauders are only good if they are marked Khorne. You really need the extra attack to get the wounds needed to do max damage. Tzeentch warriors are a must, but may not need a magic banner. Dogs are good. Knights are good. 18 Chosen are good. 1 Tzeentch warshrine is plenty, because two increases your chances of rolling not only a 12 but also a 2. Also, the fact that you can't stack the gifts makes it good and not great. The Hellcannon...I swear by everything good and holy that the Hellcannon is a must. Terror, thunder stomp, T6, 5 Wo, unbreakable, and Str. 5 stone thrower shots (Str. 10 under the hole) that, statistically speaking, get a direct hit twice a game and misfire once. Great. As you already stated, the Hellcannon's misfire chart is great as long as you don't roll a 1.
Back to top Go down
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking my warriors   Tweaking my warriors Icon_minitime31st July 2011, 3:10 pm

Your BSB would benifit more from the enchanted shield and the enchanted item thats 25 points where you reroll your AS. (dawn stone? off memory maybe?)

I disagree with fethos on that he needs a magic banner. BSB's generally make greater use out of magic items than banners.

If you don't run the GW MoK combo on the muraders they are hardly useless. Their roll just changes. I like the 40 man block better but I think keeping GW would benifit them. Without MoK they can go 5 wide and be stead fast for a while and still crank out some kills. This would also give you an anvil unit and cheap fodder.

I don't think 2 shrines is necessary but both having a 3+ ward would be troublesome.

I also think a ward save on the lvl 4 would be handy.

Both are decent enough lists and capable of winning though.

Good Luck
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking my warriors   Tweaking my warriors Icon_minitime31st July 2011, 6:03 pm

Ok. After some tweaking it looks like i'm going with

Gen: lvl 4, puppet, stub crown, 5+ ward (goes to 4+ w/ tzt)
lvl 1, fire, scroll
bsb, ench shield, dawnstone (2+ reroll)

Core:
30x Marauders, GW, MoK (Forgot to mark in my earlier list, always pack the Khorne), muso+std
24x Warriors, MoT FC
5x dogs
5x dogs

Special:
6x Knights MoK
18x Chosen, FC, MoT, Wailing Banner (gives up ldr+1 for a very high % to start the game on 3+ ward/stub)

Rare:
Hellcannon

Warshrine MoT

Not a lot of changes, mostly gear related and trying out the wailing banner on the Chosen since i'm down to 1 shrine. Biggest feedback was MoK on the marauders, which I forgot to put in my first list, so I corrected that one.

Thanks for the feedback!
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking my warriors   Tweaking my warriors Icon_minitime31st July 2011, 7:45 pm

I like the revamp. It has multiple combat threats and some good magic offense. But, still not a fan of the BSB. I think if you want to make him combat ready he needs a ward save. I have had my BSB cut down by great weapons, and it is more than a little aggravating. As important as the BSB is anymore I think he needs to either augment a unit with a magic banner, or be able to survive combat in order to keep your units with two chances at leadership tests. He is just worth too many points...especially in a WoC army.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking my warriors   Tweaking my warriors Icon_minitime31st July 2011, 9:07 pm

He's tzeentch marked, so I could do ench. shield, 6+ ward (goes to 5) for a 2+/5+ and a biting blade or some such.

Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking my warriors   Tweaking my warriors Icon_minitime31st July 2011, 9:12 pm

That wouldn't be bad, because as WoC players a fact of life is that the BSB is going to be in combat eventually. Might as well make him combat ready. Just remember that if you are using a magic shield or sword you get no parry save, so you would have to spend the 15 points to get the Talisman of Protection.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking my warriors   Tweaking my warriors Icon_minitime31st July 2011, 9:14 pm

For the same points I can get him the ench shield, talisman of protection, and either the +1 str or +1 atk sword

Or go completely paranoid and for 45 points get him a 3+ ward.
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking my warriors   Tweaking my warriors Icon_minitime31st July 2011, 9:51 pm

Yeah, 3+ ward is overkill. That looks like the best one so far. The enchanted shield, the talisman, and +1 attack sword since he is already Strength 5.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking my warriors   Tweaking my warriors Icon_minitime31st July 2011, 10:04 pm

That's what I had down tentatively. Moar attacks! (because I miss every time)

Now to find a time to play test.
Back to top Go down
Bartholomew
Blue Horror Telling a Knock Knock Joke
Blue Horror Telling a Knock Knock Joke
Bartholomew

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking my warriors   Tweaking my warriors Icon_minitime31st July 2011, 10:24 pm

I would not mind running my Lizards of doom against your cheezentchhshshs list.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking my warriors   Tweaking my warriors Icon_minitime31st July 2011, 11:03 pm

Tough matchup for my middle tier warriors, sounds fun!
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking my warriors   Tweaking my warriors Icon_minitime21st August 2011, 10:51 am

Final submitted list after (sadly, not enough) playtesting:

lvl 4, tztch, puppet, 4+ ward, stream of corruption
lvl 1, fire, scroll, 3rd eye
BSB tztch, ench shield, 6+ ward, +1 atk

30x Marauders, GW, muso, banner, MoK
24x Warriors, FC, hw/shld, MoT
5x dogs
5x dogs

18x Chosen, FC, MoT, EotG, wailing banner
6x Knights, MoK

Hellcannon
Warshrine, MoT