Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility

Go down 
+2
gamewizard
bsmoove
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bsmoove
Servitor with a short circuit
bsmoove

Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Empty
PostSubject: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime18th August 2009, 5:59 pm

First. I am completely pro Space Hulk and chuffed beyond reasoning for its upcoming release. The old game is brilliant, and this new incarnation looks just beautiful. The models alone make it worth the pain... for me.

Perhaps one of my biggest concerns about the new Space Hulk, however, is compatibility. While I intend to paint all the new figures, I would also like to use my other, older, and previously painted terminators and genestealers on the new map tiles. This presents some small problem as the newer terminator bases won't likely fit in the squares as they have been drawn in the cardboard. Moreover, I fully intend to place both termies and genestealers on round bases more readily suited for use in a regular game of 40K. In other words, I'd like to have my 41st millennium cake and devour it as well.

Ok, while mulling this problem over lunch, I happened to note a FedEx/Kinkos across the street. And so, I intend to bring in the tiles, still unpunched from their original cardboard, over to Kinkos and have them enlarge it slightly, and then print it on nice foam core board, or thick laminated paper (whichever is cheaper and/or more sturdy). The level of detail should suffice, although I will admittedly lose a good bit of the sparkly loveliness of the new tiles; however, the new map will be large enough to fit contemporary round bases. Win!!! I will be able to play my other termies on the boards, and I will be able to squeeze the new ones into existing games of 40K. oh the thought of it...

Expensive? probably. At this point, I'm not too sure, but I'll be sure to post again once I've got a clearer price-check (sometime around Sept 8 or so). Again, for me it's worth the pain.

Having said all that, I should mention that this is my first idea and it may evolve. Does anyone have better, less dramatic/expensive, thoughts on how to use current terminators in Space Hulk and the new terminators in 40K, etc.? I'm dying to know.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime18th August 2009, 7:45 pm

I've had bad luck at Kinkos with trying to get things copied. They usually don't want to be be bothered with things I bring them and invoke the endless "I'm sorry, that looks like it is Copy Righted, and we can't copy that".
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
Brutal
Blind Ratling Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime18th August 2009, 9:44 pm

THIS is how space hulk is meant to be played
http://www.pitt.edu/~klc27/hulk/02.jpg
Back to top Go down
bsmoove
bsmoove

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime18th August 2009, 10:01 pm

Brutal -That is effing amazing! How did they do that? Is there any writeup on any of this? That's simply incredible.
Gamewizard -I don't know too much about copyrights, but would it still count as copyright violation if I made the photocopies of my own property for my own use and without any intention of selling this or anything like that? If not, I'm not sure why Kinko's should care. hmmm. You've raised an interesting point and I'm going to have to do some more research on this.

Thanks both of you.
Back to top Go down
Brutal
Blind Ratling Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime18th August 2009, 10:16 pm

well that was built by a carpenter outrider friend of mine its fairly simple to build but i also have the airbrushed wall scenes that i can copy.
we had an absolute riot playing on that board hours and hours and hours of fun.
Back to top Go down
bsmoove
bsmoove

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime18th August 2009, 10:51 pm

I would love to see whatever you have. It's just incredible.
Back to top Go down
Brutal
Blind Ratling Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime19th August 2009, 2:50 am

alright i will try and get some pics up this week i have a setup like that one however it is not put together (been lugging it around forever) now that i have a garage i should be able to find some time to put it together.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime19th August 2009, 9:48 am

Bsmoove:

I have taken things to Kinkos and had them deny it even if it was my own property. I would tell them it was mine and I had no intention of selling it but was still denied. It has no bearing on whether or not it is actually copyrighted or not, they just didn't want to deal with it. Even when I wanted things laminated the kids working in there said "COPYRIGHT!" and I just stopped taking things to them.

Find an independent print shop in town and they will be glad to help you IF your Kinkos guys get uppity. Your Kinkos guys may be totally cool with doing things for you. The Kinkos near where I live has a complete employee turnover rate about every six months. Each time I go in there they have somebody new working and they treat customers like the customer is a total idiot.

Ok, so I may be a total idiot if you talk to certain people but that doesn't mean I have to get treated like one when I first go in a shop. Very Happy

At my place I welcome people and ask them if they are looking for anything in particular or if they are just browsing. If they say "browsing" then I pretty much leave them alone until they start asking questions. After that I pounce on them, make them buy a total useless mini that they don't need for their 40K Army and then make them buy a game that is so totally cheesy even their dog will think it sucks.

And the customers that come in my store usually leave happy and think I am the best salesperson in the world. affraid

Yes, I just got through taking some of my wonderful pink and blue VA drugs. bounce
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime19th August 2009, 9:49 am

Brutal; that is totally awesome, dude! I wish I could get a setup like that in my shop. What is the size of the area of the Hulk? It looks like at least three 4x6 tables and then some raised areas are included. Awesome, man!

I have some Hirst Arts molds that I will so totally try to make a Space Hulk with. I am going to start making a Warhammer Quest 3d board soon.......

I heard that they may reprint Quest since they went ahead and reprinted Hulk. That would be so cool.
Back to top Go down
Itkovian
Blind Ratling Sniper
Itkovian

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime20th August 2009, 9:17 am

I have board-envy...

For your problem, bsmoove, you could magnetise the termis' feet. For the new ones, cut them off their bases, drill a hole in each foot and one in each base, stick magnets in there, and voila. Do the same for the 40k bases (the holes in the bottom of the 40mm bases fit 2mm disc rare earth magnets perfectly, just seal them up with a bit of green stuff). For you current terminators, though it would probably involve rebasing them all (hopefully you used CA glue, not polystyrene), you could do the same - just cut the right shapes for their "Space Hulk Base" out of thick plasticard and magnetise away...

It is a bit involved, but I'd assume it would cost less than your current option (I picked up 50 magnets on ebay for about $7), and would allow you to keep playing on the snazzy board pieces...
Back to top Go down
http://itkovian.blogspot.com
bsmoove
bsmoove

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime20th August 2009, 10:11 am

Totally agree. Serious board envy.

Thanks Itkovian. Unfortunately, I did indeed glue my old terminators down with plastic glue. I may still try your technique however, as 7$ does sound much better than the other option. I spoke with a woman at Kinkos the other day and she said it might be somewhere around 30-50$ to try my initial idea depending on the thickness and quality and size. While I was initially willing to spend a bit of extra money, I can't help but think what other goodies that 30+ dollars might actually get me.

I know magnetizing will be a good bit of extra work, but I'm going to look into it all the same. I've not had any real experience with magnets. Is there a specific type or size that you recommend?
Back to top Go down
Itkovian
Blind Ratling Sniper
Itkovian

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime20th August 2009, 10:25 am

The only type I've seen used are Rare Earth magnets - they're very strong for their size and come in various shapes (I tend to use 1mm thick disc ones). Search for them on ebay - you'll find the best deals there. Any magnet manufacturers I've had a look at have had exorbitant prices for them.

You'll cut out a lot of the work if you get a drill bit that is the same diameter as your magnets. I keep forgetting to pick one up and have been having to use a smaller bit then my knife to gouge out a hole large enough to stick them in (I never learn... Rolling Eyes ).

They also tend to be resistant to superglue - you'll stick it on and it'll drop off at the earliest opportunity. Because I gouge out a bigger hole than is needed, I tend to fill it with green stuff and press the magnet in. Then once it's cured, paint a layer of superglue over the top to seal it in. This has worked great for me so far.

Good luck with this! In the end, even if it doesn't work out for you, tou'll be able to make any future modelling projects modular for different weapon fits.
Back to top Go down
Schnitzel
Grot Squig Herder

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime20th August 2009, 4:33 pm

Itkovian wrote:
I have board-envy...

For your problem, bsmoove, you could magnetise the termis' feet. For the new ones, cut them off their bases, drill a hole in each foot and one in each base, stick magnets in there, and voila. Do the same for the 40k bases (the holes in the bottom of the 40mm bases fit 2mm disc rare earth magnets perfectly, just seal them up with a bit of green stuff). For you current terminators, though it would probably involve rebasing them all (hopefully you used CA glue, not polystyrene), you could do the same - just cut the right shapes for their "Space Hulk Base" out of thick plasticard and magnetise away...

It is a bit involved, but I'd assume it would cost less than your current option (I picked up 50 magnets on ebay for about $7), and would allow you to keep playing on the snazzy board pieces...

Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing as well.
Makes flocking the bases for those models a bit interesting though.. I miagine you could flock the whole circular base and the SH base so there's no missing spots when you snap him on the base all magnet like.
Downside though is your SH mini will look a little goofy walking through hallways with grass orsomething underneath him. lol.
Back to top Go down
Brutal
Blind Ratling Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime21st August 2009, 2:04 am

its setup on 3 4x8 tables actually and i have a setup like that however its not assembled yet as my todo list is pretty large. however with the new rules coming i may bump it up a few notches. its a very nice setup and was an absolute riot to play. i think the most we ever had was 6 or 8 squads of terminators on the table and i think we still got owned by the stealers.
Back to top Go down
Itkovian
Blind Ratling Sniper
Itkovian

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime21st August 2009, 2:34 am

Schnitzel wrote:
Itkovian wrote:
I have board-envy...

Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing as well.
Makes flocking the bases for those models a bit interesting though.. I miagine you could flock the whole circular base and the SH base so there's no missing spots when you snap him on the base all magnet like.
Downside though is your SH mini will look a little goofy walking through hallways with grass orsomething underneath him. lol.

Heh, that would be kind of funky... Though you could use pre-modelled resin bases and avoid that problem entirely...
Back to top Go down
DEATHWATCH CONUNDRUM
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur
DEATHWATCH CONUNDRUM

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime5th May 2010, 7:40 am

gamewizard wrote:
Bsmoove:

I have taken things to Kinkos and had them deny it even if it was my own property. I would tell them it was mine and I had no intention of selling it but was still denied. It has no bearing on whether or not it is actually copyrighted or not, they just didn't want to deal with it. Even when I wanted things laminated the kids working in there said "COPYRIGHT!" and I just stopped taking things to them.

Find an independent print shop in town and they will be glad to help you IF your Kinkos guys get uppity. Your Kinkos guys may be totally cool with doing things for you. The Kinkos near where I live has a complete employee turnover rate about every six months. Each time I go in there they have somebody new working and they treat customers like the customer is a total idiot.

Ok, so I may be a total idiot if you talk to certain people but that doesn't mean I have to get treated like one when I first go in a shop. Very Happy

At my place I welcome people and ask them if they are looking for anything in particular or if they are just browsing. If they say "browsing" then I pretty much leave them alone until they start asking questions. After that I pounce on them, make them buy a total useless mini that they don't need for their 40K Army and then make them buy a game that is so totally cheesy even their dog will think it sucks.

And the customers that come in my store usually leave happy and think I am the best salesperson in the world. affraid

Yes, I just got through taking some of my wonderful pink and blue VA drugs. bounce

GW....try Ivize in Fayetteville, 521-COPY, ask for Mike. You can get a reference from Zip Print next door to you. He'll make whatever you want an not ask to many questions.
Back to top Go down
http://thedowisup40k.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility   Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Space Hulk / 40K Compatibility
Page 1 of 1