Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My very First Minis. A WIP.

Go down 
+8
Wildeyedjester
littleboyblues
capnwoodrow
big_d
SandMarauder
nachos
Fulminata
Turducken
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Turducken
Tyranid Warrior with Arthritis
Turducken

My very First Minis. A WIP. Empty
PostSubject: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime17th August 2009, 11:29 am

After much debate as to wich I wanted to paint first, I went with orks. Bad Moonz, all the way! Very Happy

This is my very first miniature ever painted, so go easy on me.

My very First Minis. A WIP. Minis001

My very First Minis. A WIP. Minis003

Heres my second one.

My very First Minis. A WIP. Minis002-1

My very First Minis. A WIP. Minis004

My very First Minis. A WIP. Minis005

I know, theyre not great, but they are my first.

Since taking these pictures, I have made the following improvements.

-Touched up EVERYTHING. Cleaned up the yelows and browns especially.
-Added metallics on metal parts. E.g. guns, axe handle, chainsword.
-Did some VERY basic freehand on the axehead and shoulderpad.

I can;t get updated pictures, cuz the digital camera is in Florida... Rolling Eyes

So, what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime17th August 2009, 1:59 pm

Lots of newb mistakes there, but an 'A' for effort Very Happy

With all the new players around we should probably try to do a painting class some time. I'm pretty sure Chris would be willing to have one at Castle House if someone wanted to run it. There are lots of little basic techniques that are a lot easier to show in person than to describe that would help any new painter.

For now, I'll just give a couple tips. When painting bright colors over a black basecoat, I usually start with a light gray. Find a light gray with good coverage and paint that on first, then paint the bright color on top of it. It usually makes it easier to get to a nice solid bright color as the light gray usually goes on nicely with one coat and gives you a much lighter foundation to work off of.

Also, don't be afraid to use multiple coats. Assembly line painting is good for this as you could start painting the brown on one miniature and then by the time you've done the fifth or tenth (depending on your speed) the first is probably dry enough to do a second coat. This lets you get full coverage with those paints that have lower pigment levels. When doing this you usually need to use a pallet and water your paint a bit to avoid getting the coats of paint too thick, but now we're getting into that "easier to show than tell" territory Razz
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Turducken
Turducken

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime17th August 2009, 3:10 pm

The sad thing is... all the yellow on those minis is anywhere from 3-5 coats. More, now that they've been touched up. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
nachos
Eldar with a tramp stamp
nachos

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime17th August 2009, 3:59 pm

Also i would say try like a foundation paint. They help out a lot with some colors. If your ever down at castle house and want to give it a try just let me know I'll be more then glad to help with that. Laughing
Back to top Go down
SandMarauder
Squig with flatulence

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime17th August 2009, 4:09 pm

What are the foundation paints for?
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime17th August 2009, 4:17 pm

The foundation paints have very high pigment. You can go over dark colors with them in one or two coats. They make a yellow (Iyanden Yellow maybe?) They work really good for going over black.

One suggestion that I have on your Orks is to try a wash on them. Buy a pot of Devlan Mud and wash the whole model with it and see what you think. That is how I do all my Orks. It is amazing what a coat of Devlan Mud will do to a model.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime17th August 2009, 4:41 pm

Doh, yeah a foundation paint would be another good choice as a basecoat for that yellow. I'm still getting used to their being available Razz

I'm also a big fan of washes. You can't go too far wrong by picking some foundation paints, blocking in the appropriate areas and then hitting the whole thing with a wash for your troops.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime17th August 2009, 5:28 pm

I think Devlan Mud would be a great wash over those minis.

Good deal one the painting. I'm glad to see some Ork-love on the boards. Keep us updated and don't get burnt out when painting them in squads of 30 like me.
Back to top Go down
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime17th August 2009, 6:36 pm

Devlun Mud = Devlun Miracle = Miracle Mud = Pixie Dust.

Instructions

1) dip brush in Miracle solution

2) apply Miracle solution to the afflicted area (or whole model)

3) let dry
Back to top Go down
Turducken
Turducken

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime17th August 2009, 7:34 pm

I'm surprised Devlan Mud hasn't been accalimed as a wonder-drug yet. I'll have to pick a bottle up. Wink

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm having a tough time bringing myself to paint the Deffkoptas. Thers just so mmuch detail, and compared a a normal Boy, it's rather imposing. I'm hoping a breif break from orks to paint my Spess Mehrines.

That, and it's difficult to work up enthusiasm to paint with football practice everyday, and school about to start. But, hey, I'm working on it. Razz

Thank you all, for your suggestions. As soon as I get access to a digital camera, I'll post my Big Shootah Boy.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime17th August 2009, 7:44 pm

Nice job on getting a good color coat on the whole model. My first models were very very very bad, and yours are far beyond my first attempts at painting minis!

I agree with the rest of the chorus. Put Devlan Mud on the model all over. You can try Badab Black over the silver parts if you want them to look less rusted.

I think you will be very pleased at what the wash will do for you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime17th August 2009, 10:32 pm

Anyone wanting to do some painting classes would be welcome at CHG.

Different people have different techniques and none are wrong.

I put a coat of Devlan Mud on my Fantasy Orcs and I think it made them a little too dark. They look like Fantasy Black Orcs would look, in my opinion. They still look like greenskins, but dark ones.

I'll see if I can get some pics up for everybody to critique I love you
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
ejacobs
Nurgling on Antibiotics

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime20th September 2009, 8:46 am

I've heard that a good foundation paint is from Applebarrel paints, the cheap stuff you can get at Walmart and craft stores. It's called Titanium White and has a very very high pigment content, able to cover up over dark/black with very minimal effort; like one coat, and still not erase your underlying details.

Great effort, keep painting.

E
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime20th September 2009, 8:50 pm

Umm, I have several boxes full of Apple Barrel paints. They will stay in the boxes most likely.

GW, Vallejo, and Reaper have much better paints to use for a foundation. So far I am happy with GW's Foundation colors. That's just a personal choice, though.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime20th September 2009, 9:27 pm

I use the titanium white for basing only. If you want a pure white you can use it, but it is a thick paint. I find it perfect for working with snow effects. It is by Folk Art paints, though - not applebarrel. Its available at Hobby Lobby.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
deletethisuser
Blind Ratling Sniper
deletethisuser

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime26th September 2009, 10:17 pm

If you want to do yellow check out "Iyanden Darksun" (mentioned earlier as "Iyanden Yellow"), covers just so nicely. Oh, and yellow is really really hard to paint, just look at my own attempts on my blog (http://flekkzo.blogspot.com). I won't be winning any golden deamons anytime soon :)

Get the Thrakka Green wash for the green orky skin. My oh my, washes are the stuff of legends. Gryphonne Sepia is a pretty nice wash too btw:)

Also try drybrushing metal. It is just so easy, just remember to do it before you do the other colors since it is messy:) Also a Badab Black wash over metals is a great thing, and if you wanna be fancy try Devlan mud for that, well, kinda rusty/muddy look.

Also remember to water your paints a bit just like Fulminata said, makes a huge difference when you get it right (but don't fret if you don't get it right directly).

Also nothing I've suggested is hard to do, in fact, I can't perform any difficult techniques really. I'm pretty much a paint n00b (Nob?^_^) :)

And make the most of hands on help, nothing beats getting helped by an experienced painter and being able to ask questions!

Oh, do not think you can get away with not posting more pictures of your progress. I wanna see what you have done since you took those photos!
Back to top Go down
http://flekkzo.blogspot.com
RetroPengo
Chaplain and a book full of sermons
Chaplain and a book full of sermons
RetroPengo

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime25th February 2010, 10:46 am

I also want to see your progress. Painting the figures is my favorite step. Lol.

I'm still middling in skill but I will offer this piece of advice. Use a good primer/base coat and use fewer coats of paint. In my experience 3 or more coats tends to crud up the details on the models.

I will post my necrons tonight though all I have done is the base coat and an ink wash. They still look good though. I can't wait to do the detail work after I figure out what colors I want.

The tip to thin your paints a bit was a VERY good one. It helps keep the paint from filling up crevices and details. Also learn to drybrush. I tend to do a super-drybrushing where there is so little paint on the brush it takes a few work overs to get the metal to really stand out.

As others have said, if you want any help or training, just let me know. I'd be happy to help you out with the techniques I've learned. :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My very First Minis. A WIP.   My very First Minis. A WIP. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My very First Minis. A WIP.
Page 1 of 1