Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

More Grey Knight Questions

Go down 
+4
ShotDownMind
Wildeyedjester
big_d
Verminlord
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

More Grey Knight Questions Empty
PostSubject: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime7th April 2011, 12:50 am

I guess the first question is more of a clarification.
The ability the grandmaster uses that can make d3 units count as troops, if the effected unit can be made into combat squads will both combat squads count as troops? Seems pretty cut and dry since the grandmasters ability is used before deployment and the combat squad is done during deployment, but just want to be sure.

Second,
If I give the Ordo Malleous Inquisitor a Demon Blade and I roll an 11-12 result which grants the Inquisitor an extra Mastery Level, would he gain Mastery level 1 if a Mastery Level wasn't purchased for him?
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime7th April 2011, 9:58 pm

wow, none of you 40k gurus wants to chime in.
If these questions have been asked already somewhere else, perhaps someone would be so kind to as to direct me then?
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime7th April 2011, 11:30 pm

No idea on the Daemon blade, no rulebook here.

But I wholly agree with the Combat-Squadding grandmaster ability. That is one of the things I picked up on when I was first reading the book. Good way to get extra scoring units.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime7th April 2011, 11:34 pm

If he did gain mastery what would it do for him? He still has no power to cast, correct? I dont have my rulebook in front of me, either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime8th April 2011, 1:01 am

Wildeyedjester wrote:
If he did gain mastery what would it do for him? He still has no power to cast, correct? I dont have my rulebook in front of me, either.

When the inquisitor gains mastery lvl 1, he gains hammerhand or psychic communion. Whichever is chosen is not paid for extra, it is included in the upgrade. So, depending on when the result is rolled...

For those of you with no GK codex, Hammerhand is the +1 St, and Psychic Communion allows you to adjust reserve roll +1/-1, and it is cumulative with other uses of this power. Which the Grandmaster also has btw.

So, that is why I am curious about this.

Also, another clarification really,
If I have my unit of Paladins armed differently, they effectively become like the Nobb Bikers, yes? Being able to spread the wounds around before removing a model, is this correct?
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime8th April 2011, 7:51 am

[quote="Verminlord"
Also, another clarification really,
If I have my unit of Paladins armed differently, they effectively become like the Nobb Bikers, yes? Being able to spread the wounds around before removing a model, is this correct? [/quote]

Correct on all counts.

Back to top Go down
ShotDownMind
Blind Ratling Sniper

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime9th April 2011, 5:24 pm

I would think without FAQ that he would just get to use an additional psyhic power, of which he has none.

I would let someone play it either way for sure, but thats my call in the end.

Yes on wound allocation for paladins.

pirat
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime10th April 2011, 1:44 am

Thank you for the responses, it is helpful to the not as educated 40k folk like me.

So I got a game in with them today and one more thing came up. The activation of the force weapons requires a psychic test, does this count towards the one ability per player turn limitation? Seems to limit the use of psychic powers in hth if it does. Wasn't clear to me so I would like a second opinion.

ShotDownMind, I am inclined to agree about the additional psychic power/Demonblade thing, but you never know what the FAQ will say.
Back to top Go down
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Monkey

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime10th April 2011, 1:56 am

Yes, activating a force weapon does count toward your limit of psychic powers per turn (pg. 50 BRB box on lower right), but you're going to be using Hammerhand most of the time as most models don't have multiple wounds. Also, I'd say Strength 5, Instant Death, Power Weapons would be a bit over the top, to say the least. However, as pretty much every HQ has Hammerhand, you can stack this "awesomeness." Throw in Rad Grenades, and you've killed dang near everything in the game in a single round of combat. But I'm not bitter. No, not at all.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime10th April 2011, 2:24 am

Monkey wrote:
Yes, activating a force weapon does count toward your limit of psychic powers per turn (pg. 50 BRB box on lower right), but you're going to be using Hammerhand most of the time as most models don't have multiple wounds. Also, I'd say Strength 5, Instant Death, Power Weapons would be a bit over the top, to say the least. However, as pretty much every HQ has Hammerhand, you can stack this "awesomeness." Throw in Rad Grenades, and you've killed dang near everything in the game in a single round of combat. But I'm not bitter. No, not at all.

Yeah, the Rad Grenades worked like a charm. Gave them to my Grand Master who joined the Paladins. They got assaulted by some BA Death Company. Nothing like laying the smack down on some T3 marines, and Death Company no less. However, have to get used to only being WS4 now on most units.
Thanks for pointing out the force weapon thing. I was trying to activate the power with my strike squad since only the justicar has a power weapon and needed a way around FNP. But I kept being foiled by that damn psychic hood, curses!
But, I will remember the Hammerhand for my next game! With the GM using it along with the Paladins, it will make them even more formidable.
Back to top Go down
Monkey
Monkey

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime10th April 2011, 12:01 pm

Why did your Strike Squad not have Nemesis Force Swords? That's the standard load-out for the Squad, not just the Justicar, and all Force Weapons are power weapons.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime10th April 2011, 1:18 pm

Yeah the squad all has power weapons. They don't have to activate force weapon power for them to be power weapons. They always are.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime10th April 2011, 1:47 pm

Monkey wrote:
Why did your Strike Squad not have Nemesis Force Swords? That's the standard load-out for the Squad, not just the Justicar, and all Force Weapons are power weapons.

Because I am using my old metal GK's and they all have halberds. As is everything except the Paladins. Don't have the funds to swap them out yet. That is if I decide to swap them out. I like the +2 Initiative.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime10th April 2011, 1:53 pm

Wildeyedjester wrote:
Yeah the squad all has power weapons. They don't have to activate force weapon power for them to be power weapons. They always are.

I don't know how I missed this. I actually looked up force weapons during the game. To quote the great Homer Simpson, Duohhh!!! Gonna have to chalk it up my inexperience of 40k.
Back to top Go down
ShotDownMind
Blind Ratling Sniper

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime11th April 2011, 12:20 am

Not sure that hammerhand will end up stackable, but with RAD grenandes works good vs anyone anyways.

cyclops
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime11th April 2011, 5:17 pm

ShotDownMind wrote:
Not sure that hammerhand will end up stackable, but with RAD grenandes works good vs anyone anyways.

cyclops

It is stackable with Might of Titan, but not really sure why it wouldn't stack with itself. The only way it can be done is with an IC that can use it and a unit that can also use it. For example, my Paladin unit led by my Grand Master. So, if I get both Hammerhands off with Rad Grenades, just don't roll ones. Sounds fair to me.

Do you think it should stack? Just wondering how I should play this in my next game.
Back to top Go down
ShotDownMind
Blind Ratling Sniper

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime11th April 2011, 9:39 pm

Hammerhand will not stack with itself. The unit includes any IC's attached since the movement phase. The unit will use hammerhand on itself, that will use hammerhand, the IC is using it as part of the unit.

I would let someone do whatever they wanted for now, I am sure it wont last through the FAQ, and doesnt even need it really.

If the unit uses hammerhand, the IC (or even multiple IC) have used it also. So if you thought your IC could also then use hammerhand, he has already used it once, he has already used a psychic power even!

Probably the entire reason for mastery levels if you think about it.
Back to top Go down
sirhelnor
Red Space Marine Plasma Donor
Red Space Marine Plasma Donor
sirhelnor

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime12th April 2011, 7:57 pm

I could be way off base here, not having been able to read the rulebook closely, but do rad grenades stack if multiple units with grenades assault a single unit? or is there a unit preventing this? if not, what is preventing a unit of T3/T4 models from being assaulted by 3/4 units with rad grenades and being instagibbed at T0?
Back to top Go down
Sweet E
Mordheim Master Bat(tl)er
Sweet E

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime12th April 2011, 9:02 pm

The next thread below this one is about these exact two items: Stacking of Hammerhand and Rad Grenades. Check it out.

https://thehogsofwar.forumotion.com/t1402-gk-bonus-stacking
Back to top Go down
Sweet E
Sweet E

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime19th April 2011, 12:13 am

So here's a new GK conundrum straight from the comments on the blog today. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this:
"You have to try Scouting Interceptors and scout Teleporting dreadnights.
If you get to go first, you do the 30" Shunt in the scout and end up 12" away from them on turn 1 ready for them to fell the pain"

Now as I've stated before, I typically take a conservative approach to these items and who lean to this not being allowed as a shunt is not a standard move. I may be thinking about this wrong though since without something of this nature the Dreadknights are all but worthless.

The internet forums are ablaze arguing this point, so I figured some Hogs of War could weigh in their thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime19th April 2011, 12:46 am

Unless I am missing something, Dreadknights don't scout.

The Nemesis Doomfists that Dreadnoughts and Dreadknights have, can they "activate" these to cause instant death? The way I read it, this works, but would like a second opinion.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime19th April 2011, 7:59 am

I don't remember the exact wording, but I'm pretty sure they can. Shunt is used instead of normal movement, scouting is still normal movement just abnormal timing. Seems like a huge waste, MCs are not hard to kill. Especially if you only have a few. Plasma Vets say hi.

GM Grand Strategy says they can scout if you choose that rule to confer. Still seems a huge waste, last turn shunt to steal/capture objectives seems much better.

Doomfist should be able to be activated, again not certain on exact wording, seems unnecessary though.

The biggest thing I've gained from my limited exposure to this book is that Psycannons are better than all of your CC options, especially in the concentration you are able to place on the board. Mass S7 Rending shots > anything dreadknights or paladins will ever be able to pump out. Well that and Cochise is the biggest no brainer since the CSM Daemon Prince, which is unfortunate.
Back to top Go down
Sweet E
Sweet E

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime19th April 2011, 1:10 pm

To clarify, the dreadknights or interceptors would be getting the scout move from the Grand Strategy ability provided by Draigo, Mordrak, or a Grand Master.

That is a big 10-4 on the nemisis doomfist being able to activate and cause ID.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime19th April 2011, 4:49 pm

Sweet E wrote:
To clarify, the dreadknights or interceptors would be getting the scout move from the Grand Strategy ability provided by Draigo, Mordrak, or a Grand Master.

That is a big 10-4 on the nemisis doomfist being able to activate and cause ID.

Ok, forgot to take into account the Grand Strategy on the whole Dreadknight thing.

That's awesome on the doomfist. The only reason it came up is because I was playing DE and got my Dreadnought tied up by the Talos. Instant death could have prevented that easily. Will come in handy for anything that is multiple wounds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More Grey Knight Questions   More Grey Knight Questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More Grey Knight Questions
Page 1 of 1