Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Talos Pain Engine

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime19th November 2010, 12:07 pm

For 100 points, this model seems pretty amazing. It has d6 attacks that is basicly twinlinked, an assault weapon that is two small blasts at str5 ap5, and a twinlinked splinter cannon

Tell me if I'm wrong here, but that seems to be one of the best infantry killing units in the game...

Oh and did I mention- fearless, feel no pain, and furious charge????

a webway portal, 3 talos, 3 BM squads, 3 squads of wyches, and you are in their backfield with 9 squads that can kill pretty much anything...
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime20th November 2010, 1:50 am

IMHO I'm not thrilled with the Talos. S5 AP5 Blast is pretty fail. Ask Chaos Marines the last time they brought Havoc Launchers to the party... The Splinter Cannon is pretty nice but Venoms do it better and cheaper and carry guys... I forget which FOC slot the Talos is in, but if it's Fast trade it for Reavers/Scourges and a unit of Beast Masters. If it's elite why don't you have True Born yet? If it's heavy the Ravager is where it's at.

-Edit- Guess I should have realized it wasn't fast when you included BM in your partial list /facepalm
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime20th November 2010, 2:23 pm

It's attacks aren't twinlinked, you just roll 2d6 and take the higher d6 as your number of attacks.

I like it. If you take a lot of raiders/ravagers it'll be slow and steady in the backfield although your webway idea is interesting...

I think i'd take it w/ the haywire blaster because I like the fluff idea of it cracking rhinos open and eating marines inside.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime20th November 2010, 6:19 pm

Yeah I think I want to run an agressive portal army actually...lots of Talos, Beast masters, wyches

I dont think it will be the end all list for DE, but it will be loads of fun to play with
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime20th November 2010, 6:23 pm

Sweet. I need to start playing 40k again so I can get owned by it :s
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime20th November 2010, 7:22 pm

I wouldn't get my hopes too high. With only 3 wounds, 3+, no Invul, and only support from AV10 OT Skimmers you can expect it to do 2 things, show up and blow up. Devs and Long fangs eat this sucker alive. As does any dedicated assault unit. Basically I'm saying proxy it before you buy the $40 model to see if you still like it.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime20th November 2010, 10:49 pm

A turn of Devs/Long fangs shooting at this is a turn of them not shooting at anything else.

It could be interesting in a webway theme list. Do it bdix. Doooooooo it.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime20th November 2010, 11:37 pm

You say that like there's going to be much for Devs and Fangs to shoot at once the main vehicles are gone (2-3 turns at the longest). Are they going to waste Frag shots on FNP guys in cover? Not if they're good, and shooting Kraks into them is almost as big a waste when massed small arms fire or CC does it better. At best you get to charge 1 maybe 2 units and on average attack 4-5 times hitting 2-4 wounding 3. Wow, 100 points for 6 dead marines... Or Guard even. The thing is a threat against T3 and that's about it. Even a naked Tac squad has a good chance of killing it in CC. Since its only I4 you didn't even kill any before they attack back. I think it has potential but only if you manage to get assault on a small unit from the WWP, but what smart player is going to leave small units by the portal willingly? It's simply too squishy.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime20th November 2010, 11:51 pm

So, in conclusion, use them if you want!
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime21st November 2010, 12:22 am

Yes, but I would advise against it. Very Happy

Aside: Leave it up to Capn to ruin a whole 15 minutes worth of thumb typing (stupid phone) in one sentence.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime21st November 2010, 12:38 am

Nothing on the internet is worth 15 minutes of typing.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought
Haren

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime21st November 2010, 12:43 am

Capt I think he just said you cheated the internetz
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime21st November 2010, 12:51 am

lol.

I gots cheats.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime21st November 2010, 1:26 am

I justify it by having to do it with my thumbs while I was already bored. That said, if I were to suggest a list I would probably do something more like this (no idea on points, don't know the book nearly well enough yet)

HQ:
2x Monc's - WWPx2

Elite:
2x True BornX4 - Blasterx4 - Venom 2xSplinter Cannon

Troop:
2x WarriorsX5 - Blaster, Blast Pistol - Venom 2xSplinter Cannon
2x WracksX5 - Liquifier Gun - Raider Flickerfield Shock Prow

Fast:
2x ReaversX6 - 2xHeat Lances
Beast MasterX5 - 5xKhymerae, 2xClawed Fiend, 4xRazorwing Swarm

Heavy:
3x Ravager - Night Shields (Haven't decided if I like the Disintegrators or Dark Lances more yet, leaning toward lances)

That's about 2k I think... I'd want to try to find points for an Archon but there's not really a good unit for him to join so I wouldn't be too worried about it. Would also like to fit in a 3rd raider, but I love the AT Riders with 2xSplinter Cannon rides too much. You could easily trade out the Ravagers for Talos, and that'd leave you with about 40 extra points, not sure why you'd want to do that though. Very Happy

Preferably the Beasts and Reavers come in from reserve through the WWPs. However because of the way the Portal works with reserves you aren't forced to go through it which is all sorts of nice if someone drops a Land Raider on top of your portal and ruins your day.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime21st November 2010, 3:58 am

I'm thinking something really similar, but im gonna try out the voids until they do me wrong, and I think im going to run wyches just because I own 20 of them right now
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime21st November 2010, 7:31 pm

I'd trade out the Wracks if you're going w/ wyches. They fill about the same role. A good rule of thumb for DE passengers/transports is if they kill tanks their ride kills guys and vice versa. Ex: Wyches ride in Raiders, Warriors (w/ Blasters) ride in Venoms. You'll also have to find some extra points of you're going to run the Void Ravens, that or just run 2. I would probably cut back on those missiles you've used the last few times. They don't seem too particularly amazing, would also help you cut a few points.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime22nd November 2010, 2:19 am

I may be sold on ravangers...its just a matter of getting the models and shelling out 150 dollars for basicly 3 more raiders....I wish they would have made the model look better
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Talos Pain Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talos Pain Engine   Talos Pain Engine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Talos Pain Engine
Page 1 of 1